Thumbs down to Bank of America Mortgage, Up to M&T.

Just a quick story for you guys getting into getting home loans, buying houses, etc.

I was applying for a 30 year fixed SONYMA mortgage, 5.875%, with a $5000 cash grant.

From the SONYMA website, they had a few banks listed that offer the program.

One was bank of america. I have a checking there, so gave them a call first.

The woman I ended up working with was absolutely terrible to work with. She tried to push me on a conventional loan, even though I am a first time buyer. She acted in her own interests the entire time, and gave me one or two word answers to all my questions.

Apparently, there isn’t much money to be made when a buyer goes for a SONYMA loan, or a FHA, so a dishonest broker will push you towards a loan that suits their needs more than yours.

The final straw was when I told her I wanted the SONYMA loan, and she continued to give me a quote for a loan that I didn’t want.

Absolutely terrible business practices.

So, I called my brother, who is my acting real estate agent, and he did an absolute fantastic job in steering me in the right direction.

I’m working with one of the bosses at M&T mortgage, and he has been excellent to work with.

He explained a few different options of what he had to suit my needs, and he offered great advise, and helped me make a decision.

He spent the time to explain everything to me, answered all my questions properly, and acted in my interest the entire time.

I ended up with a 30 year fixed SONYMA loan, 5.875%, with a small seller concessions. My closing costs are very low, and its an overall great deal.

Once I close on the loan, I’ll definitely refer some people to this guy in the future.

A bit of advise, always ask your mortgage rep for a fax with a “good faith estimate” attached to it. This will tell you line by line what fee’s are associated with the mortgage, it tells you everything. A friend of mine, who used to be a mortgage broker took a look at the document, and said it looked great, and he didn’t add any garbage fees into the loan to pad his pocket.

As for the house, I put in an offer on a well kept 2 family in West Seneca. The offer was accepted, i’ll give some more details after the home inspection but it looks like a go to me so far.

If you guys need a Realtor, shoot me a PM. My brother works for a small real estate outfit, but gives a high level of personalized service that you absolutely will not get from one of the big names. He really takes the time for each client, and gets them into a house that they want.

We must have looked at thousands of houses on the internet, and about 20 in person before we found one to make an offer on.

i need to consolidate 2 loans i have with M&T and they will not help me at all i have been getting a run around for 3 months with no help what so ever
f*ck M&T back

Yep different folks, different situations.

I’m sure there are a bunch of folks who love bank of america mortgage, just posting up my experience with them.

I;m looking into getting a house within the next year. Do you mind if I ask what your mortgage payment a month is and the total cost of the house. I’m just trying to get an idea.

You can PM me if you want.

hunt has a real great mortgage calculator.

http://www.r-house.com/StaticContent.aspx?sta_name=mortgage_calculator

You can plug in your interest rates, even prepayment.

Why wouldn’t you have asked your Brother in the first place? :gotme:

i got my mortgage from M&T and i would never go back ever agian it has been by far the worst thing i have ever been threw in my life … but i have a FHA 203K HUD loan. i have owned the house for 8 months and paid 8 months of payments and they still will not let me live there even thow i have the cert. from the county to move in…(long long story)…lot diff loan then you are getting so i hope you have a good time…

dude, you got a rehab loan, which means you are at the mercy of the inspectors. Literally.

I’ve seen a few banks hold people off for upto 18 months, depending on the property.

well really its not the inspectors holding us up… we passed all that months ago. its all this bitch in Albany

email jrank@mtb.com, bitch up a storm (in a polished tone) & threaten action.