Timing belt cost

What would be a rough cost to have the timing belt replaced on a Prelude at a local garage (i.e., non-dealership)? Not sure of the year, but it’s one of the later style ones - I can find out if it makes a big difference.

Thanks.

1998 3.6 hrs
1995 same 3,6 hrs also

you need a special tensioner tool too…its not to bad of a job

Thanks. My step-brother-in-law (is that a word?) has over 100K on his car and I thought that it was a good idea to change it, correct?

dont forget to change the balance shaft belts also.

yea timing belt,balance belt and water pump!

I usually replace the auto tensioner on customer cars, its not worth having one bleed off and wrecking the motor.

Yep agreed, just happened to a girl I work with two nights ago. Her husband changed the belts, but not the tensioner, and it locked up tight…

the wife or the car?

you should replace the autotensioner with a manual tensioner from an h23. itll save u alot of trouble and you wont have to worry about it failing like the autotensioners.

also if your at 100k your on borrowed time. mine stapped at 102 cuz i though the previous owner had it done at 80k like they call for.

not that this thread needs more posts but,

I’ve seen stock timing belts go FAR… up to 180k on civics. They are loose as a goose, but if you are being easy on the car, they’ll last. I think the one had cords showin in some spots, so it didn’t have long left anyway.

thats not something to bank on. do it on time, cuz they snap without a warning. in Hseries motors, you trash your valves and possibly pistons if it breaks.

ha… ol dirty, how many times have you thrown your belt with no probs??? :x:

No one has mentioned what the cost would be.

of course my post was deleted

x whatever the garage’s rate is

i got a quote of $450 for the swap on my wife’s 03 eclipse at Baierl Mitsubishi… SOHC motor, fairly easy to do. i did mine on my 95 eclipse for ~150 bucks myself… new water pump, tensioner, and belt. i’d say anywhere from 450 to 6/700 would be the norm.

cost will probably be from 350-500 (or more) depending on the shop or dealership you go to. obviously dealerships will be the high end of the spectrum.

i broke a belt in the car i own now, and my old prelude broke the bolt in the crank shaft pulley and lost the woodruff key. both times i bent valves. h series motors ARE interference motors. just an FYI