Tips for House hunting?

If you need a new Realtor PM me… It should not take that long to find what you’re looking for.

The house in Elma has the garage space you’re looking for, but I think you could do better location wise. I’d go for something in a less commercial area.

As much as people want to say its cheap around here its really not you might want to consider upping the budget or bend on some of the requirements.

Less commercial area and something better location wise than elma? Elma continues to be one of the highest demand areas in wny…schools, taxes, resale, etc. where you thinking of a different Elma?

All depends on where you’re baselining… Buffalo to the Valley in CA, or NYC, it’s dirt cheap. Compared to bumfuck Mississippi it’s expensive. All relative.

For example, for a 1/2 acre lot, 3500sqft house, 3 car garage attached, and detached garage in a decent part of town here in SLC that doesn’t need a full remodel, it’s EASY $500k.

Not talking about Elma as a whole, but just that particular house in this thread. I checked it out and it’s on a main road close to an intersection with a big gas station and next to a restaurant.

Thanks captain obvious I meant when you compare places with similar populations/etc…Not the largest city in America or the one place in the country with the highest housing/renting costs.

Entry level houses here are plentiful 60-130k but when you start looking at nicer stuff with taxes its pretty much on average with the rest of the US.

from my experience seeing a lot of houses by way of appraisals performed by my wife, there is typically 2 kinds of homes that are accompanied by large garage spaces or other outbuildings.

A- a very simple home, maybe a manufactured home or modular, usually a ranch with a big stick built garage or pole building on an acre or so.

B- a very nice home, often custom built with a 3 or 4 car attached garage and/or a 2 or 3 car detached garage with some finished space above on more than an acre.

i think the A scenario plays out because someone knows they want a large garage space, but can’t get such an endeavor financed. so they get a budget house and use cash for the garage space. when they go to sell, they may want to get the cost of the garage into the sales price, but such buildings usually don’t recoup their cost in market value. so even if they find a buyer, the appraisal often falls short.

in scenario B the house itself is nicer and commands a higher value to begin with which allows it to absorb the garage “over-improvement” much more easily. also comparable properties are much more likely to have similarly superfluous amenities, which isn’t the case in scenario A.

since it is harder to finance scenario A, it is also harder to sell it or buy it, so the market for those properties becomes scarce.

Very much agree. Our housing market has gotten very competitive in the mid/high end over the last few years. I am going to assume the large scale population decline in mnfg up to recent years left a surplus of entry level homes creating great value.

I follow real estate very close but am not as up to speed outside of the city. That said I always thought Elma was a nice place when I find myself out that way.

Lastly I know this game haha my most recent home purchase was a bit of a fixer but I landed a 4.5 car garage! Took over a year to find what I was looking for.

/thread

I FOUND ONE! Its actually very good for me. If that gets snatched up before I finalize with the bank I’ll rant some more about bank hours…