Tips on driving manual?

Well after a couple weeks of driving the car I got the hang of this manual thing, but I still need some tips on how to put the least wear on the car and have a couple questions. So I’d appreciate it if someone would answer the Qs and throw in some other info that you think would benefit someone who’s new @ this. I basically need to know the little specific stuff.

1. Engine braking… should I do it or not? Is it bad for the car ?Like say I’m going 60 in 4th and see a light up ahead but far away, should I neutral and then just use the brakes, or brake with mostly the brakes but also engine brake a little (ie, downshift when rpms go below 1200 ish), or mostly engine brake and then just brake with brakes near the end…

If I engine brake, how fast should I let out the clutch… I know if brakes faster if i let it out faster, but I want to put the least wear on the car as possible.

1. You know how the tranny won’t shift into first until you’re pretty much fully stopped… Well say you’re going like 6 km/h, then you have to grab 2nd and for it to be smooth you have to rev to like 2k rpm almost and let the clutch slip slowly right, well isnt’ that bad for the clutch to be slipping it at such a (relatively) high RPM?

2. This is kind of stupid… but what RPM should you cruise at? Usually I’m between 1700 and 2100, because if I upshift and it’s at like 1500 RPM or less, it’s way louder than it is at like 1900 or so, so I’m guessing this isn’t that great for the car to be that low. BUt can someone expalin why this is to me… because if I’m driving my moms car (auto) and it’s at like 1000 RPM if I accelerate it goes perfectly fine, but if i accelerate at 1000 RPM in like 3rd in my car then it’s way loud (compared to 2k) and also is not smooth at all, it kind of bogs…

3. When you’re starting off at first, is it best to try to let the clutch out ASAP not to waste it? Ie, you can start off smoothly by either revving to like 1300ish RPM and letting the clutch slip slowly, or you can start so that just as the clutch engages you give it more gas, so when they clutch is fully released you’re only at like 1100ish RPM. Which way puts less wear on the clutch?

Thanks for reading, that’s pretty much it.

1. I have always rev matched and geared down to 2nd than clutch in and moved to first when I’m about 20 feet away from where I want to stop, the distance depends on how I feel, not harm ever came by it in 5 years.

2. yeah it’s fine, but don’t hold it half way in or you’ll cook it. try to let the clutch fully engage as soon as you can, 2nd can go pretty low before it’ll stall.

3. Lower rpms make less noise, higher rpms let you accelerate a little faster especially in the higer gears, I personally boot about town in 4th from 60 - 90 in my mazda. it’s personal preference, but if you’re doing 60 in 2nd you’re also burning a lot of fuel and makeing a good amount of noise that might attract unwanted attention.

4. This will come with time, you just need to get used to it and you wont even think about it anymore. Again, don’t leave the clutch half engaged and slipping, that’ll cook it, but don’t drop it in and stomp on the throttle either, you’ll find the balance and flow as you learn and soon it’ll be 2nd nature and you wont even think about it.

Okay, thanks, to clear some things up.

1. So you basically still downshift and go through the gears but you don’t engine brake at all (since you revmatch) right?
  2. Yeah I know it can go low before it stalls but if I let the clutch out completely at like 1000 RPM or less, then it’s very jerkly… like I’ll give it gas and it will kind of go in spurts for a bit, not smooth at all.
  3. Well I don’t know what to say here, obviously 3k is louder than 2k etc, and when in neutral 2k is louder than 1k, but I’m saying when I’m crusing at 55-60 at like 2000 RPM and I give it a bit of gas its quieter than if I were to shift in 5th at 55-60 and then give it gas, even though it’s about 500 RPMs lower. Does anyone else have the same experience? My exhaust is also a loud mofo so the difference is pretty clear.

Also, why do you cruise at 4th in 90? In my car 2000 RPM in 4th is 60, so if I’m going 60 I stay in 4th, but if I’m going 65 or higher then I put it in fifth and cruise at 1700 ish RPM. Why don’t you shift into fifth when you’re going 70+?

Isn’t the goal to be cruising like less than 2500 RPM for sure ? (highway obv. exception)

1. Gotcha, thanks.
  1. you have spring in the clutch that cause that jerkyness, it’s engaged, but the springs cause that not so smooth feeling, at least that is what I have been told, I could be wrong.

[/quote]

Okay thanks, sorry to be so picky but…

Since 60 km/h is exactly 2000 RPM. Say I’m going 65-70 ish. Is it better to be at 2200 RPM or 1800 RPM ? (ie, 4th or 5th).

And yeah I’ve probably been taking 3-4 seconds to start in first, that’s the only way I can keep it smooth for now, if I try to do it quicker it’s jerky… gotta get used to the clutch I guess, it’s an ACT clutch in there so it grips pretty fast… Will try to release it quicker not to waste it.

just try to be as smooth as possible when stepping on the gas. try modulating a bit and with time you’ll get it.

it all takes practice. when i bought my car in september, i had to learn all of this crap on my own lol. i completely agree with everything mentioned above. like sasha, when i’m slowing down, i gradually downshift until i get to 3rd and then just cruise in 3rd until coming to a complete stop.

for starting to move, sasha pretty much covered it.

as for cruising, i usually cruise around 2200-2500rpm, shift around 3500-4000rpm depending on how fast i need to accelerate. i generally don’t go above 4000rpm.

all you need is practice. don’t be afraid to try things, just don’t hold the clutch mid-way for too long otherwise you’re just burning it. the ka (assumed) tranny is tough, it’s a freaking truck motor lol. try to modulate the gas and the clutch. just take it easy, don’t get too bent if you’re not driving perfectly right away. take your time, relax, and try things until everything feels smooth. that’s what i did.

i wish this thread was around when i was learning to drive stick lol.

good luck.

I don’t want to read this thread. I just hope you’re a quick learner.

just try to be as smooth as possible when stepping on the gas. try modulating a bit and with time you’ll get it.

it all takes practice. when i bought my car in september, i had to learn all of this crap on my own lol. i completely agree with everything mentioned above. like sasha, when i’m slowing down, i gradually downshift until i get to 3rd and then just cruise in 3rd until coming to a complete stop.

for starting to move, sasha pretty much covered it.

as for cruising, i usually cruise around 2200-2500rpm, shift around 3500-4000rpm depending on how fast i need to accelerate. i generally don’t go above 4000rpm.

all you need is practice. don’t be afraid to try things, just don’t hold the clutch mid-way for too long otherwise you’re just burning it. the ka (assumed) tranny is tough, it’s a freaking truck motor lol. try to modulate the gas and the clutch. just take it easy, don’t get too bent if you’re not driving perfectly right away. take your time, relax, and try things until everything feels smooth. that’s what i did.

i wish this thread was around when i was learning to drive stick lol.

good luck.[/quote]

Thanks for the reply, I’ve been shifting way earlier, at like 2000-2500 RPM :o

dump da clutch y0 :biggthumpup:

oh, and btw. if you’re cruising at a low rpm, say under 2200rpm or so, i’d recommend downshifting if you need to accelerate, otherwise you’re putting strain on your motor (assumed, at really low rpm, someone please correct me on this if i’m wrong, tia). thought i’d mention it anyways, just in case.

once again, good luck. it’ll all come with time.

^^^

And when the RPM rises and your not accelarting just step on the gas some more.

for fuel economy the general rule of thumb is lower rpm is better, to a certain point. Id say 1700-2000rpm is the sweet spot for KA’s and SR’s.

Now if you feel like booting around town you generally stay in a gear where you’re between 3500 & 4500rpm so you have power right away, so your rpm should be entirely dependant on how much load you’re putting on the motor. if you’re slowly accelerating in traffic, then shift at 2250 and drop to 1600-1800 if you want, its fine. but like big-byrd said if you’re accelerating at a decent pace you’re gonna want more rpm. Putting too much strain on the motor at low rpm is called “lugging” this is what you’re experiancing by putting high strain on the engine in 5th gear at 1000rpm.

Also dont forget lower gears have tons more torque, so you’re putting less strain on the motor accelerating in 1st gear and then shifting and cruising then trying to accelerate that same speed difference in 3rd. rpm isn’t everything, load is really important too.

anyways, try some stuff out man you’ll figure out how there is no one perfect point for everything but there is a pretty easy to find pattern, just dont overthink it do everything naturally.

oh, and i just remembered one more thing. sasha mentioned that if you’re starting in snow to rev about 1000rpm. my tires are shit for snow, and since i don’t really drive when it snows (except to go to nearby parking lots), starting at 1000rpm still spins my tires - it takes a bit of fancy clutchwork to not slip at all in 1st. but you could also try starting in 2nd, might be a bit easier for you. something to keep in mind. basically do whatever FEELS right. just pay attention to the feedback the car is giving you (even if it’s as numb as the s14 in my case lol), modulate your gas/clutch accordingly, and like sasha said, whatever feels the smoothest is best for the car overall.

Thanks again everyone…

big byrd: Thanks for the 2nd gear tip, I know my mom’s car starts in 2nd gear in winter mode but didn’t know it’s also a good idea to do it ona manual.

Sasha: Yeah I think I’ve been “luggin” too much lately since I was cruising at 1500 RPM or even a bit less, will cruise in higher RPM now.

Question though, what wastes more gas, trying to accelerate in 3rd at say 1500 RPM or downshifting to 2nd and accelerating at 2100 RPM (till 3.5kish) ?

Should I always downshift when I’m gonna speed up if I’m at like 1700 RPM, even if I’m just gonna accelerate a little ?

if you’re only accelerating a littel its ok. as soon as it starts to vibrate a lot and not feel smooth you’re way out of the efficency range for that rpm and you’re causing excess wear and strain on the engine.

as for fuel economy it would be very close, however its better for the engine if you’re at higher rpm - you’ll be at a lower throttle position. fuel economy basically works on how smooth you are. the less you speed up and slow down the more fuel efficient the car will be. generally let the car speed up down hills and let it slow down a little bit up hills and slowly build speed when it flattens out again. if you see a red light coming up drop it in neutral and slow down right away. try to get it to turn green before you get there pop it back in gear and accelerate really slowly.

i have a jeep, i learn things like this. haha