How do you drive most of the time?

I was on the NASIOC forums and I see a lot of wrx owners who rarley take it above 3.5K.:gtfo:

So I’m curious to see how everyone here drives on normal occasion.

I’ll start by saying I usually shift at 4k and I always seem to be the fastest car to pull away from an intersection.
If I pull out in a hurry %80 of the time I take it above 6K at WOT.

I ALWAYS heel/toe and double clutch everytime I’m coming to a stop (unless i’m in heavy traffic)

I also rarley hit top gear (5th) unless I am doing 70+ mph. I like to be in the meat of the powerband at all times,keeping my revs in the 3-4K range. I guess I get that from riding a bike.

While my driving habbits don’t net me the best MPG I don’t see myself changing much.

Kinda curious to hear from everyone else.

(honda owners multiply your rpms by 1.5 and diesel owners cut your rpms in half for this threads sake) :pimp:

i usually shift 1st at 4500 and 2nd at 3500 and 3-6 at 3k.
or if i need to get off a light quick to pass someone i shift at 6500 in 1st :smiley:

my gas mileage is the suck no matter what

Well, i normally keep it below 6K, and every few weeks or when im pissed off ill bring it up to 10,5…

I accelerate generally 10-15% faster than the average person and often drive in D3 to keep my rpm’s up around 4k so i have some power if need be…

And yes, it a automatic honda.

EDIT: Altough i take turns faster than my snows can handle, but meh… whatcha gon do.

I usually shift at 3k, and very seldom wind it out. I do rev match and heel toe frequently, and sometimes I take turns a little quick because I like my suspension setup, but that’s about it. I’m pretty docile on the streets.

Why do you double clutch a transmission with synchronizers?

Oh, I usually shift by 2500 or so. Truck. :shrug: But I make it a point to spend a little time in the higher revs every once in a while to avoid carbon buildup.

[quote=“Fry,post:5,topic:39760"”]

Why do you double clutch a transmission with synchronizers?

[/quote]

I was waiting for someone to ask that, I have no real answer for you other than I just started doing it and got accustomed to it…
It’s not a bad thing and if anything it will save on the synchronizers (keeping the tranny and motor at the same speed)

I drive pretty slow most of the time.

[quote=“sedlmeier101,post:7,topic:39760"”]

I was waiting for someone to ask that, I have no real answer for you other than I just started doing it and got accustomed to it…
It’s not a bad thing and if anything it will save on the synchronizers (keeping the tranny and motor at the same speed)

[/quote]

:tup: I neither know how to double clutch nor heel-toe shift properly. I oughta learn. Should make cold mornings in the Xterra a bit less clunky.

Shift around 2500… Slow as piss to get rolling at a stop/light.
Attempt to get a little better mpg than 10. I hear ya truck guys.

But I’ll still downshift like a maniac. Let the wind down from 4,500.

Hey… if I don’t need to use my brakes… lol

Daily driving I drive like a bitch, I shift low ~3k and just cruise, I never have a reason to be in a hurry as I leave in enough time to get to work like 20 minutes early.

well usually if no one is in front of me, i like to rev up and drop it to ensure excellent traction. shift out of first like like 75ish, slam 2nd and fishtail a little bit, regain and end 2nd at about 105, by then 3rd, and 4th wind out all the way, sometimes the shift light comes on cause i don’t have time to look down, then i shift into 5th to start slowing down at about 150ish, haven’t really gotten it past about 162 though. i wonder what 16, 000rpms sound like when your going that fast past people lol

in the truck when i drive to school, i usually stay at a steady 70mph… but dont jam on the RPMs, usually drive pretty soft

I drive slow and cautious unless I’m in my mustang.

I don’t always hammer it in the stang but I let the pony out of the cage.

In the summer I shift out of gears between 3k-4.5k. In the winter I shift at 2.5k

I probably shift at around 4k when driving on open roads where the limit is 55 or higher

Driving around Amherst with lots of traffic, I am probably shifting at 2.5k

There is a nice straight long stretch of 4 lane road near my house so on the way home from work I will wind out 1st and 2nd gear from time to time.

I’m almost always one of the slowest coming away from a light - most vans and trucks are out in front of me. Typically shift at 3K or lower. I do however almost always take turns hard, just because you can do that without breaking any laws :slight_smile:

Additionally I do heel/toe always (well actually roll my foot, because I have big feet and typically boots on). Just keeps me in the habit for autocross and what not, makes it much more instinctive. I also always double clutch 2nd and 3rd gear, again this is habit, my MR2 had a glass transmission and 2nd and 3rd would catch every once and a while. Just continued doing it, I don’t even think about it anymore.

I do need to start left foot braking more on a regular basis to make that more second nature, that still feels extremely strange when I do it racing.

Audi - Below 3.5k about 90% of the time
BMW - Drive it like i stole it
S10 - Its slow anyways, doesn’t matter cause its auto too
DelSol - High RPMs, Low speeds :cool:

I hit the gas and it goes. When I’m low on gas or pissed at dropping another 70 to fill my tank i let it shift around 2500, if not i usually wind it out to 4k or so.

in the AM, i try to shift as low as possible.
usually ~2k if ii dont have to turn onto a busy road.

i try to avoid sheridan since they love pulling my over this time of year.
my car has not changed in 4 years, yet i still get a few tickets a year for
exhaust… sometimes my 50% tint bothers them too.

once i get to the 190 on ramp i drive to about 4-4.5k
after the GI bridge its 70-75 the rest of the way.

i dont slow down much for the turns near work since they are the only turns i can be an ass hat with :frowning:

then again, its a cavalier, so how fast could i really drive it anyway…