Shifting

hey guys…i was just wondering if its bad for the car/engine/tranny to shift without using the clutch (clutch isnt worn out)…i am capable of doin this i just dont know if i should be or not

you are going to murder your sencros

done and done

dont do it

you love spreading bad info dont you?

if you actually syncronize the gears by rev matching then you should put less wear on the syncros than if you were shifting normally.

yea, but not as much as shifting with the clutch in and rev matching.

correct since you match the rpms you put less stress on the synchro versus using a clutch, when using a clutch the synchros have to match the rpms for you.

are you actually that good to know at what RPM the synchros match the gears by themselves? (it’s only for a short period and a small range of RPM’s…) i.e. you shift w/o a problem w/o using the clutch… I know it’s possible, but it’s not that easy…

if you figured that out, post at what RPMs you change the gears :smiley:

nobody is perfect though. if you shift without the clutch once and i while im sure you will screw up and end up killing your synchros. just use the clutch and revmatch atleast that allows you to make mistakes. or maybe im just a shitty driver

its easy to match gears. once you get a feel for how seperate each gear is you can tell how much the rpm will vary depending on what rpm you currently are at and what rpm you’re going to go to.

i drove my s14 for two weeks without using hte clutch pedal once (except to start from a stop) and by the end of those two weeks the syncros were crying, and i was very consistent in my rev matching.

Use the clutch, its there for a reason. but shift as if you’re not clutching in and your syncros will last forever.

to shift w/out a clutch :

Accelerate to the point you normaly shift, as you let off of the gas pull the shifter out of gear and without letting the revs drop too much hold the shifter at the gate of the next gear with light pressure until it drops in, then get back on the gas gradually.

Remember all of this should be graceful don’t force any thing and if your not feeling it, clutch!! This method is only used by lazy drivers, such as people delivering parts for 6 hours at a time. can not be used for fast shifting.

*Not responsible for the destruction of any transmission’s !!!

sasha i thought you were a good driver bro whats going on, after 2 weeks you killed the synchro’s :wink:

anyways if you guys are asking me what rpm i shift at to match your already a noob and shouldnt be trying it because its not a what rpm point i shift at and i look at the tach, its all about feel and thats all it is.

if you gangsta’s wanna see ill make a short video of my super clutchless shifting methods and teach yall

signed

the master

dude you got your G2? congrats

thanks buddy i greatly appreciate your informative yet very contributional reply

its guys like you that make the world a better place.

thank you

i would have to agree

relax man. go have a beer or something. oh wait your legal arent you?

i can smell all the love and teddy bears in the air.

get a room :cuddle:

you want in on this? 8)

Lith u asked at what rpms i shift it at…well i find that if i go to 2500rpm take it out of gear then put it back in at 2000rpm its nice and smooth…5th gear is a little more tricky though takes a lil practice

the best way to finding what rpm to shift at…in my sohc s13, when shifting from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd or 3rd to 4th i find that its best to let it drop about 500 rpm before putting it into gear…when down shifting i find that its a little higher, around 700…but if im going from 3rd to 2nd downshifting then its close to a 1000rpm…i first learned this on a tractor and found it quite easy to do and switched it to normal everyday driving…personally sometimes i use a clutch sometimes i dont,…i have to notice a difference in my syncros and have been driving like this for 10 months…

just make sure when down shifting that u get the correct rpm because it is by far atleast 10X’s easier to grind when downshifting

rob

There is no one specific rpm gears change, it all depends on the rpm you’re at when you’re shifting, and the difference in ratio between two gears.

Lets do a little quick run through for anyone that needs to get their head around the idea:

Lets assume the following gear ratios (for simplicity)

1st: 5:1
2nd: 4:1
3rd: 3:1
4th: 2:1
5th 1:1

at 2500rpm in first, that would correspond to 2000rpm in 2nd (4/5ths) - a 500rpm drop

however at 5000rpm in first, that would correspond to 4000rpm in 2nd (4/5ths again) a 1000rpm drop.

See? its a percentage change from each gear, not a specific rpm change.

So lets take actual S13/S14 gearing and find the percentage changes for each gear so you have an idea.

1st - 3.321
2nd - 1.902
3rd - 1.308 (my favorite gear i love you 3rd!)
4th - 1.000
5th - 0.759

so the reason you see huge changes from 2nd to first is because there is a huge gear ratio change between 1st and 2nd. This is mostly because most street cars have very high first gears to give cars the most off the line torque - to help clutches and motors last a long time and to give people the feeling of “peppy” cars. Most race cars have a longgg first gear so that the next 4 or 5 gears are very close together. ANYWAYSSSss

1st to 2nd = 43% drop in RPM - 2000rpm becomes 1140rpm
2nd to 3rd = 31% drop in RPM - 2000rpm becomes 1380rpm
3rd to 4th = 24% drop in RPM - 2000rpm becomes 1520rpm
4th to 5th = 24% drop in RPM - 2000rpm becomes 1520rpm

you likely have noticed shifting between 3/4 and 4/5 similar, now you know why! But the 3 > 2 or is always a longer throttle blip, interesting?

sash is so smart, u wanna have my babies??

and in response to ur post sasha… I Like sprite :lol: