SHIFTING TROUBLE

I drive a 95 nissan altima gxe and i have a lot of trouble shifting from gear to gear. For some reason the shifter gets really stiff and tight. If anyone knows what the problem could be please let me know. thanks

Does it feel like you wont be able to shift it or what dou mean stiff???

synchros are probably gone. Try rev-matching everytime you shift, if you that eases up the shifts, synchros are probably your problem.

Revmatching and double clutching are your friend!

what kind of tech help is that lol try rev matching lol jus kiddin cal, no but honestly explain how it feels in more detail.

**** off ivan, i’m helping him diagnose the problem. Right now my 2nd and 3rd gear are feeling clunky and stiff cause i know my synchros are going. If it feels like the gear is enganging but not sticking then chances are you have a bad snap ring or it got turned aside so the gear is engaging but not holding.

No but you are right , i agree good diagnostic choice lol but does he know what ur talking about

wikipedia

DOUBLE CLUTCH
is the method of pressing the clutch twice to shift into another gear… this was a method used in old cars because their transmission synchros were not up to date as today’s so you need to clutch twice to actually save it… average lifespan of a tranny at the time of double clutching as about 80k miles… you had to change it once in a cars lifetime… anyways… heres how it goes…

from a gear…

1. Clutch in
  2. drop to neutral
  3. let go of the clutch
    (you can rev match here if you wanted to if downshifting… or upshifting… depending on how bad of a shifter you are…)
  4. clutch again
    (you can rev match here also)
  5. put it in gear…

REV MATCHING

umm… simple… match the rpm of the gear to the speed of the car…
like math…

if you are going 50 mph in 4th gear with 2,000 rpm… and you wanted to downshift into 3rd gear… KNOWing that 3rd gear requires 3,000rpm to go 50 mph… how much do you need to rev?

answer: 1,000 rpm… this might vary… depending on car and settings and stuff… so learn how to do it… it helps you from jerking the car or jake braking… or riding the clutch and stuff…

while doing this… if the car jerks a little… you didnt rev enough… if it pulls a little… you revved too much…

Thanks a lot, i’ll try and see if it works.

When i said the gears were feeling stiff i meant like it’s almost impossible to shift from each gear. It takes a lot of effort and really gets irritating. It will usually begin to feel tight after the car has warmed up and driving for 20 minutes or so. My car has a new gear box and the clutch feels fine so i can’t really tell what the problem is.

Try rev-matching everytime you shift, if you that eases up the shifts, synchros are probably your problem.

Yes, you have the same problem…

Regards