TJ's '90 Civic Si Project (aka De-Rice & Fix)

Well, I just picked up a '90 Civic Si in need of some love. It was parked about 2 years ago (tags are '05) with tranny noise (the notorious bearings I’m sure) and has just sat. So it’s time for me to save it, haha. The car…

• 1990 Honda Civic Si- D16Z6 SOHC VTEC Swap- CA Smog Legal AEM CAI- CA Smog Legal DC Header- High Flow Cat- Unknown Catback- Original '90 Si Cable Trans (in need of rebuild)- H&R Springs- Tokico 5-way Adjustable Shocks- Later Model Si Rims (you guys can tell me what the hell year they came off)- Strut Bar/Tie Bars everywhere (front/back, upper/lower)- Short Throw Shifter- Super Duper Ricer Lights- Full Poly Bushing Kit (needs installed)- 202,xxx Miles on Car (About 10k on Swap)

The Good:- NO RUST (Ah, gotta love CA cars)- Very Clean Interior for 202k Miles and 18 Years (car was originaly sold in '89)- Strong Compresion/Leak-Down Test and Motor Runs Smooth/Strong- Everything Works (even the Sunroof)- Supah Dupah Race Caaaaah

The Bad:- Trans needs rebuild as mentioned- Paint Fading on the top of the Front Fenders, Hood & Roof- Ricer Lights- Ghey Stickers- I can’t drive it far or hard yet!!!

The Plan:- Job 1: Pull & Rebuild Trans (bearings/seals, and syncros if they appear to need it)- Job 2: Replace ALL Fluids (inluding full brake bleed)- Job 3: Trade some Ricer Kid my lights for their stocks + beer- Job 4: Remove ALL Stickers- Job 5: Install Bushing Kit- Job 6: Get 35mpg

Job 1 will start this weekend (I don’t have the parts, but it’ll come out and get torn down so I can order what I need). Job 2 will get done. Job 3 is pending a Ricer Kid. Job 4 will get done. Job 5 will probably happen while I’m wating on the trans parts. And Job 6 is pending Job 1.

-TJ

Oh… and it actually doesn’t sound bad. It has a header and high flow cat, but it has a long resonator, then the fart can muffler (which actually has a relatively small baffle in it… tip is for “show.”

But what do you all think: flat-black the fart can or not? I’m leaning towards painting it (and the tail pipe leading to it) for a lower profile.

-TJ

At least it’s not totally riced out. Just have to find some stock parts.

I think Some stock taillights would lower the profile enough, If you do paint the tip you could always clean the paint off if you don’t like it

Yeah… I wasn’t about to touch anything with body kits, wings and such. Lights are easy enough to put back to stock, LoL.

I guess I’ll leave it alone for now. Everything on the car is legit (the CAI & Header both have the California Air Research Board Executive Order # right on them) so I guess if I do get pulled over on it I’ll be okay.

Oh yeah… and it came w/ the stock stealies too. So I’m lookin’ around on the local boards for used AutoX rubber for those. Haha.

-TJ

nice find

Wheels are of an EP - 01-03 i think Civic Hatch. Nice pickup, I want to snag a 1st gen CRX Real bad.