Took on another E36

If you’ve read my thread in, “Technical” http://shift518.com/showthread.php?t=33173 you’ll see the issues I started with. Anyhow that issue has been addressed and resolved, thanks again to those who gave advice and helped me work it out.

I picked this up for $2K. It’s a 1998 323i. I started with getting the vehicle in good operating condition 1st, by doing a ton of preventive maintenance. So far, I’ve swapped out the airbox and added a strut tower bar. I just ordered a set of UUC bushings, for the rear end. The car is sloppy over bumps and feels like the rear end is fish-tailing. I spent some time today buffing out the headlights with the 3M Headlight restoration system. Here’s the progress so far. I dropped my Nikon 18-55 lens, so I had to settle for my other camera.

Looks clean! Is it running any better?

It runs great and the fuel consumption is back to normal. It still needs a little bit to cosmetically recondition it, but I may clean it up real nice and drop in an S52. I was originally looking for a 318ti to do this swap, but I found this car 1st, and it was local for me.

You already have the S52?

Not yet. Do you happen to have one?

Yeah but it could use a shortblock rebuild…it’s still in my car and will be for a while (hopefully).

I’ll probably just get a long block the the head and swap over all my parts.

Yeah absolutely. I’m not looking to sell, it just sounded like you already had one.

^ that’s what i’d do. freshen it up out of the car, drop head on it, stuff it all back in with an S50 manifold.

What’s an S52 engine?

E36 M3.

I just pulled the RTAB’s out yesterday. I thought I’d have to use some sort of press to get them out, needless to say, I pushed them put with my fingertips. The weren’t even attached to the cups that go in the trailer arm. I replaced them with UUC poly bushings. Here’s what was left in the car:

bet it feels a bit better lol

the way they failed, and that they look relatively fresh, leads me to believe they were installed fairly recently with a REALLY improper preload lol

It feels much better, the rear end doesn’t move every time I shift or hit the slightest bump. The rear tires are worn out on the outsides, so I’ll need new tires very soon. I’m going to try to find some DS2’s, replace the struts, springs and rear shocks, then get it aligned. I was really considering flipping this car, but the body is in such great shape for a 15 year old car, I may just keep it around for a while and enjoy it in the summer.