top mount turbo

Okay so my project this winter is to go topmount on my sr20. Which turbo is the best to go with for 350 hp? Ive already got sti injectors a rom tune for 300 horse, upgraded oil pickup, and 300zx maf and filter. I see the headers for cheap but want to know if there is one type of turbo that is more reliable for this app or if there is a cheaper alternative. I need to buy a complete new exhaust anyway so header back is not a problem. thanks

if you want to go top moun,t get a gt3076r. you could do a gt 3071r t3 flange as well, but just do the bigger one imo. top mount manifolds usually run you around $1000. just so you know 350hp is easibly attainable with a bottom mount turbo. get megan header… or equivalent with a gt3071r t2 flange run 18 lbs. dont forget to change your headgasket to a metal one!

gt3076r .64 hotside spool will be fast and alot better than t2 flange. if you have the money to spend do it properly.

Yes do it properly and do not get a Megan manifold … omfg

Megan is the new greddy haven’t you heard??

Top mount GT3076R is the way to go. With the .63 i can make 1 bar at 3800 RPM.

With my bottom mount GT2871R .86 is was alot later

ive got a megan header hanging around. What underslung turbo would I be looking at for the same power? Figure I might as well try it till the header gives out LOL.

Well if your doing a topmount because its cool and want to show off your gonna need to spend at least 1K on a manifold. Most T3 turbos can make 350HP, and alot of T2’s can too. Just look for anything that can flow a minimum of about 38 LB/Min.

I had a cheap bottom mount ebay manifolf for 3 year and never had a problem with it…

And spool time is reletive to compression, intercooler piping, exhaust manifold, downpipe, exhaust and a couple of other things so thinking that you will end up with a fast or slow spooling turbo because someone else claimed some RPM number isnt smart. On the KA my 2871R .86 could build 10 psi by 2500 RPM.

what about internals and the head, can the sr handle g2871r or gt3071r without rebuild (of course you’ll need the basic upgrades) because i’ve been seeing lots of people putting on bigger turbos with out rebuild

You will need to re-tune the ECU anyways…Im guessing you’re ECU is tuned for 550’s,z32 and GT2871R?