Towing with passenger car

Well ive been debating selling the daily (96 civic) but its so reliable and clean id really like to keep it. Only reason for purchasing was to flip it, or trade for S10. I just need to be able to tow my jetski, lot bike/pick up bikes, 50 etc. Obviously one at a time. The heaviest i believe would be the jetski/motorcycle (considering a 50 weighs 100lbs). Any suggestions?

toss a hitch on the civic if thats all you’ll be towing. I wouldnt recommend towing in snow or other bad weather, but for everyday towing it should be fine.
Obviously it will put more of a beating on the car, but with increased maintenance, you should be fine.

yetti and i actually looked up tow ratings for pass cars one day to find the stupidest vehicle that could tow a full car w/ trailer, it seems the u.s. limits pass cars to 2k lbs but in other countries they are rated at 3500-4000lbs easily.

yes this is pointless.

I towed a 4x8 trailer with my quad on it with my Elantra with no issues.
It wasnt the greatest on big hills but it worked ok.

I’m expecting to be able to pull a small open trailer and two bikes with my Legacy b

you should be fine.

my dad pulled 3000 lbs worth of gravel and cinderblocks in his TDI jetta 2-3 times before and it pulls just fine.

he/I also pulls the jetski and the atv with it. no prob, pulls like a champ.

Lots of small cars have real hack job attachments for the hitch and the mounting points can get torn up if you jerk lots of weight around on it. The car will be fine with it, just make sure the hitch is mounted properly.

Mine used longer bolts for the bumper support and a bolt and plate setup thru the rear tow hook for mounting.

i pull my jet ski with a cobalt you shoould be okay

I know my cobalt is tow rated at 1k lbs. It is just barely enough to tow a Uhaul bike trailer and a sport bike. Installing a hitch on my car requires drilling into the frame which I am reluctant to do…

awesome, thanks guys. Ordering a hitch now then im going to build one of those shelf/trailor deals. Idk what there called, theres no wheels it just goes into the hitch and its a shelf. I think usually used for wheelchairs, however I want one that is just big enough for a crf50 so im going to build one.

Just make absolutely sure the combined shelf and cargo is WELL within what your hitch/tongue is rated. I’ve seen one being used last time I went to Loudon on some SUV, and it looks like the bike is going to fall right off. I am always very skeptical about such system, it looks like anytime you go over rough terrain or just bumpy surfaces, the thing will snap right off. The Hitch/tongue basically is not designed to be use like that IMO.

The trailer I am considering at HF is 9’ trailer with 12" highway tires and a gate which can be use as a ramp, cost around $380.

I wish Id had seen that one when I was looking for a trailer. I think it cost me more to build a good trailer out of an existing beat up old trailer.

hmm yah i wouldnt mind that, cheap and i could fit a streetbike on it also. Hitch is 110 shipped, than even if i find that trailor used it’d be perfect.

http://albany.craigslist.org/rvs/1525561243.html
http://albany.craigslist.org/grd/1522314997.html

i would definitley go with an actual trailer and not that hitch support setup. Too much stress on your rear suspension and the parts involved with the hitch shelf. With a trailer you put most of the weight of which you are towing over the axle of the trailer, therefor putting far less stress on your rear suspension.

I was going to get a trailor also for bikes and what not. Just wanted that hitch/shelf deal for a CRF50 so i wouldnt have to lug around a trailor just for a tiny 50.

Just put it in the backseat if youve got a 4 door. I saw Vlad do that in a Subaru.

i have a 2dr, and the inside of my cars are always beyond clean. A fifty is a tight fit and scratches plastics/can leak. No thanks, been there done that.