Toyota stops production, sales of 8 models for gas pedal problem.

Toyota took the extraordinary step Tuesday of suspending the manufacture and sale of eight of its most popular models because of an unresolved mechanical flaw that might cause the accelerator to get perilously stuck in the depressed position.

The move comes after two massive recalls involving millions of vehicles with either the same flaw or one in which floor mats also caused the accelerator to get stuck.

The Japanese carmaker told its dealers to temporarily stop selling the RAV4, Highlander and Sequoia sport-utility vehicles; Corolla, Camry and Avalon cars; Matrix hatchbacks; and Tundra pickups, Toyota said in a statement. Production lines at five North American plants will be idled for the week starting Monday.

The standstill is a huge setback for a company that built its business largely on a reputation for reliability and which perennially vies with General Motors and Volkswagen for the No. 1 sales ranking among world auto companies. And it left many loyal Toyota customers worried about safety and confused about what to do, because Toyota isn’t sure how to fix the problem.

“This is unprecedented,” said Michelle Krebs, a senior analyst with Edmunds.com. “In the past, we have seen an automaker stop production of one specific vehicle or two. . . . We’ve never seen an automaker pull the sales of so many models.”

Krebs said the eight models represent 65 percent of sales of the Toyota brand and more than half of sales of the parent company, which also makes Lexus and Scion.
Toyota said it was halting sales because “helping ensure the safety of our customers and restoring confidence in Toyota are very important to our company.”
The company’s group vice president and Toyota division general manager, Bob Carter, said in a statement that “this action is necessary until a remedy is finalized. We’re making every effort to address this situation for our customers as quickly as possible.”

Toyota has been struggling with gas pedal problems for months. In late September, it recalled more than 4 million vehicles after a luxury Lexus ES350 was involved in a fiery fatal accident in California that focused public attention on the danger. The crash killed a California Highway Patrol officer and three members of his family near San Diego. The Lexus hit speeds exceeding 120 mph and, in a frantic emergency call, a family member told emergency responders that the accelerator was stuck and the driver could not stop. Toyota said the driver’s side floor mat jammed the gas pedal.

Popular vehicles such as the Camry and the Prius were among those fixed.
Then on Thursday, Toyota recalled 2.3 million vehicles, many of them the same as those recalled in November. This time, Toyota said that an accelerator component might cause gas pedals to stick.

“Toyota has investigated isolated reports of sticking accelerator pedal mechanisms in certain vehicles without the presence of floor mats,” the company said in a statement. “There is a possibility that certain accelerator pedal mechanisms may, in rare instances, mechanically stick in a partially depressed position or return slowly to the idle position.”

In addition, two recent incidents in Texas and New Jersey are “under active investigation,” a Toyota official said. In the Dallas incident Dec. 26, four people died.

The Department of Transportation, which oversees the National Highway and Traffic Safety Administration, declined to comment and referred questions to Toyota.

The announcement Tuesday caught dealers and customers off balance. Krebs said many customers, especially owners of low-priced models such as Corolla, might not have spare cars or alternative ways of commuting while Toyota figured out how to repair the problem. Yet, Krebs said, motorists should avoid driving any vehicle that gave any hint of having such trouble.
John P. McEleney, chairman of the National Automobile Dealers Association and operator of a Toyota dealership for 37 years in Clinton, Iowa, said the timing of the halt in sales is unfortunate, given the industry’s slump.

“The massive recall will have a lot of impact,” McEleney said. “Not being able to sell the cars . . . is going to be very challenging in the environment we’re in. But Toyota buyers are pretty loyal . . . and I think a lot will come back in March, April and May.”

Marc Cannon, spokesman for AutoNation in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., which operates one of the country’s largest Toyota dealerships, said the firm has not determined how it will respond to the announcement. “We’re going to go through the facts ourselves. We’re reviewing it,” he said. “It’s going to take some time to digest it over the next 12 to 24 hours.”

Ben Messier, general manager of Antwerpen Toyota in Clarksville, said he had just gotten word about the automaker’s decision and hadn’t heard from customers. Despite the extent of the problem, Messier said, such flaws have been rare at Toyota, and he praised the automaker for “getting out in front” of the situation.

Edmunds.com analyst Krebs said the Toyota move was much more far-reaching than other problems of this sort. The eight models are made at different factories and use different platforms, she said, making the source of the accelerator problem even more unusual. The Tundra pickup truck and Sequoia SUV share the same underpinning, but the Highlander SUV and Camry sedan rely on a different one.

Brian A. Johnson, auto analyst at Barclays Capital, said the gas pedal problem could reveal a danger of global parts sourcing. “Toyota is known for using the same parts design across multiple cars and factories and countries,” he said, “which everyone is trying to emulate because it gives you economies of scale. What this shows is one of the risks of that strategy. When something goes wrong, instead of a couple-of-hundred-thousand-part recall, you have a multiple-million-part recall.”

Tuesday’s recall and sales suspension covered the following models and model years: the 2009-10 RAV4, 2009-10 Corolla, 2009-10 Matrix, 2005-10 Avalon, 2010 Highlander, 2007-10 Tundra, 2008-10 Sequoia and certain 2007-10 Camry models.
Staff writer Sholnn Freeman contributed to this report.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/26/AR2010012603492.html

Serious Bzns by Toyota.

Biggest recall in history. :ohnoes

And you guys keep bashing gm and ford

Bwahahaha! Toyota quality :rofl

This could get interesting especially with all the biases and irregular logic.

One mass voluntary recall to take care of an issue after decades of bulletproof production is now making a brand worse than GM?

I love this forum.

JUNK!

Amazing quality and stand up company.

GM would just keep producing cars and ignore the problem

Yep, that’s why all late model GM’s (esp the FWD’s) are trash

This reminds me i just got a recall on my mountaineer i have to take care of. Something about the possibility of the vehicle lighting on fire, even if its off

Yeah because those 2 never have massive, financially crippling recalls…

Their cars keep on rolling out with out killing people

Oh?

People burning to death is apparantly not a big enough issue for GM to warrant a recall, even if they are urged to do so.

http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1P2-940941.html

4 recalls in a month

http://www.auto-accident-lawyer-source.com/html/021104.html

:ponder

Eveything, that has ever been built WILL have a failure rate. Sometimes, one small detail can be overlooked causing a massive issue such as this.

Toyota has the stupid gas pedal and 90’s era trucks that rusted faster than iron left out in a rain storm.

Dodge had the wheel bearings/ball joints in there SUV’s that went bad in less than 10K miles and caused accidents.

GM has had issues with cruise controls and electronic devices.

They have all had problems. Every car manufacturer in the world. It is something called human error and it is something that has to be accounted for in every single engineering plan ever built.

In the end, you are going to like whatever car you like, and that is all that matters.

Gm has never had to stop production. They end up fixing their major blunders where Toyota has almost their whole line up being pulled. Yea thats quality

Heard this idea on the radio the other day. Kinda made me think. Micheal Savage actually.

Japanese car manufacturers have strong pull in US government —> Domestic car manufacturers get nailed for big recalls over the years.

GM is now Government Motors so they won’t hurt themselves —> Toyota gets huge recall!!!

Hmmm… I mean some models from back in 2007 are listed, so they JUST found out about this? C’mon.

I agree with 99FRC, but some recalls get publicized a lot, and that probably has to do with some government connection in one way or another.

Toyota Website:

Our engineers have been working around the clock and we’ve been in direct communication with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) throughout this process.

Hmmm wouldn’t doubt they got nailed from our government because we need money…

There is no government payout in recalls. They have no interest in this other than vehicles meeting safety requirements and not killing people.

The sales and production are halted upon voluntary basis from Toyota, where unlike other manufacturers which have to be urged and begged for a recall, they want to make sure that the issue is fixed.

Toyota doesn’t “have” to stop production they chose to, unlike goverment motors, they can afford it.

I think the real issue is what is causing it? Is it poor engineering on there part? The germans developed drive by wire years ago and have never had a problem due to the three failsafes built into the software for the ecm. There are two voltage signals that must concur or the pedal shuts off and you aren’t going anywhere. Which i have honestly only seen once.

-1 for ignorant statement

My question is, why didn’t the people with the stuck gas pedals just turn the car off? Granted the pedal should NEVER get stuck and it is deff a problem for Toyota, but if some of those people had just simple turned the car off they may still be alive.

Because they don’t think with that mentality when things of that nature occur.

My 78 year old grandma bought a new Corolla and I am willing to bet that she wouldn’t know enough to turn the car off or even shift to N if the gas pedal got stuck.