transmision issue P0745

I own nissan Altima 2005. Since i bought this car i’m exeriencing this jerking issue while shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. I research on this and found out that nissan has issued service Bulletin manual to fix this issue. Following is the link of the service manual.

I took my car to transmission mechanic and showed the manual as well But the mechanic is not wiling to buy the issue what nissan provided in the service manual, instead he insists me to keep driving or get the whole transmission re-build. Im not in a position to do that as it will cost me good $1900.

Apparently there are many nissan cars suffering from this issue. I have read lot of foruns and many nissan customer are complaining about this issue.
I would like to know if any one knows a good ASE mechanic who familiar with this issue and has fixed it.

Please advise

Thanks

The harsh shift from 1st to 2nd gear on the 2005 Altima is very common. I took my car to Village Nissan at Hwy 7 and Kennedy and they performed the TSB procedure and that still didn’t fix the problem. I noticed chaining the transmission fluid usually helps.

I opened a case with Nissan North American and caused a huge stink, complained for days and weeks and they finally decided to pay for a rebuilt transmission for my 2005 Altima, regardless of the fact it was out of warranty.

I drove 60K+ with the harsh shift, it won’t damage your car but it’s huge discomfort mentally, especially during rush hour.

I would recommend going to Mr. Transmission 20 St. Regis Cres, those guys are excellent, they would be able to take the job on.

Thanks for reply. So Transmission has to be re-built to fix this hard shift issue?. Will Nissan do that free of cost. Should i contact nissan or go straight to Mr transmission, how much it gonna cost me though? Thanks

Regards

I would take it to Mr.Transmission first, they will hook up the car to a computer for a 10-20 min drive which will monitor all the transmission sensors for any faults. If that doesn’t provide answers they’ll hoist it up and check a number of parts including line pressures etc… Remember to visit the exact address i listed, theirs lots of Mr.Transmission shops and i can only vouch for the one i told you.

The Transmission does not need to be rebuilt, this harsh 1-2 shift is not a terminal problem for the transmission, in most cases it’s caused by low tranny fluid or badly oxidized fluid. I have friends that have driven well past 180,000km with the problem, you just need to change the transmission fluid every 25,000-30,000km and remember to not flush it just drain and refill.

If you really just want a new transmission then open a case file with Nissan North America, complain and complain like their is no tomorrow. Remember Corporations respond better to threats, when they have something to lose! Being a small business owner, i lease/own 7 new Nissan vehicles and threatened to bring them back if they didn’t bow down lol. They eventually coverd the cost.

Hopes the helps. :slight_smile: Mojo728

comon problem with the auto tranny’s on the 05/06’s the aftermarket shift kits fix the issue.
a hard shifting auto tranny lasts longer as they have clutch bands for each gear.
these act (perform the same basic function)like the clutch in a standard tranny.

as we all know riding the clutch torches / prematurely wears the clutch (disk or band)

unfortunately burning a clutch band also burns the fluid

an aftermarket shift kit is like $150 and totals at $300 installed (ish)

problem fixed… best of luck

So you got this hard shifting fixed by replacing tranny parts. Did you replace the whole selenoid assembly. Where you have taken your car to get it fixed?. can i get the contact?.

just google the shift kit for your tranny… one of the other major forums for nissans has covered this extensively.
the kits come as
stage 1
stage 1&2
stage 2&3 etc…

the stage 1 and stage 1&2 kits correct the issue without affecting driveability very much… think towing…&…towing/15%track after that ur better off with the maxima tranny as it has LSD.

i think it replaces some ove the ball bearings and springs as well as some other stuff in the mechanical portion of the valve body.

basic tech for a tranny shop… tranny doen’t need to be pulled, just the pan dropped.