How are altimas?

I’ve always liked them and I was thinking because they are in a good price range for me, I’d like to pick up an 04-05 this summer. Standard with the 3.5. Any real common problems? How is the 5 speed to drive, quick? Compared to other cars from that year, how reliable are they?

Thanks.

They are great cars! I Have a 06 2.5SE Automatic transmission. There are no common problems from 05-06. There WAS a recall on it because something needed to be reprogrammed. As far as i know tho, there were some problems with the 02-04 because they were the first gens.

The car is great! runs really smooth, even at high speeds. you cant even tell you are driving 140 km/h. The car is also surprisingly quick. you wouldnt even think if you never been in one.

sorry i cannot give you any detail on standard but these cars are great! most def recommened!

Thanks for the reply man, can anyone speak on what the 3.5 is like?

I ve Had my 02 3.5 SE 5MT for 3 years now, the only major issue with the car when i first got it the electronic throttle body failed, i got it replaced by the dealer for $400. other than that, the engine runs great. as for quickness i never get bog down at on ramps to the highway…there was a major recall on the altimas but nissan replaced the entire rear subframe for free. regular maintenance is high, and the 3.5 burns oil for me its about 1 quart for every oil change. I use synthetic which may account for some burning but there is never any smoke from the tailpipe. I have 145K on the car and since then I had to get a battery, new tires, brakes pads and rotors. just a note don’t shampoo the engine yourself take it to nissan only…lol. Iv learned that dealers are costly but man they sure know what they are doing. stick with the 2005 and up much nicer interior and material quality is better. what the hell get the SER with a 6MT never drove one but that extra gear must be deadly in the midrange…

watch foe wheel bearing and catalytc converters.
had both done

eats front wheelbearings if you overtrque the wheels.

the rear brakes can develop a vacuum lock on the sliders (remove rubber tip) and the EAT rear pas in a couple months.

get the LSD tranny if you canfind one (SER) otherwise torquesteer eats tires in 60,000k
even good ones

i have an '06 with 120,000k’s already (ya thats at least 1000k/week) and ya it eats tires

Nissan has changed the part# for the front bearings so it shuld be a fixed issue now

catalytics on the 2.5’s blowback into the combustion chaber if overheated.
if you get one with no warr swap to headers and god single cats

intake butterfly’s on the 2.5’s drop screws into the intake and “can” be sucked into combustion chamber

windsheld wipers cause a knock in the front sound… just pull off cwl and tighten the loose bolt…yep it that esy…they forgot to loctite!..lol

hi everyone im new to the forum and i was just wondering i’m looking to buy my first car and i was thinking to go with the altima 3.5SE i was just wondering if it is really expensive to maintain ? compared to other 6 cylinder vehicles, mazda 6, camry etc

are u looking for new or used?

if its new then you will be fine for 4-5 yrs depends on how u drive…i have 07 2.5 had no issues wiht it and love the driving…im sure 3.5 will be even better but lil heavy on gas lol

I’m thinking 2005 3.5SE there in the right price range for me so yeah I drove test drove the 3.5 a few weeks ago and fell in love with it.

I am in love with the look of the 07 altima’s and any year with the same body styling.

Is there any known issues with the 07 2.5 auto’s? I dont drive hard nore do intend on driving it more than 20k/year. My car now I have driven to the point of no return. I bought it in may 07 w/96k on it. Now it sits at 270k. 2 motors and 2 trannies later.

I dont want to be dealing with anysort of problem like this again. I also found out after buying the Protege5 a common problem is the endlinks which I have replaced about 3 times in 2 years. There is also a major issue with the EGR valves being stuck. I have not gone thru this yet but I am sure its lurking around the corner. The head lights, when using normal halogens you can expect to replace them 1-5 times a year. Rust is the Protege’s worst downfall. Mazda musta used recycled materials on these cars bc there is no way a car that is waxed 5-7 times a year could rust liek that!
Pretty much any insight on this car would help, as I would like to know what I am walking into.

Altimas are wicked rides. I can’t speak for the 4th gen (07 - present) but I own a 2002 2.5 and my car has given me no problems whatsoever. There was the issue of the precat failing and destroying the engine. I’ve have my ride for almost 4 years now and not a single major issue. Some were built during happy hour, but mine is is still running strong at 261,000 kms.

^
Thanks!

^LOL wtf…fail bot.

LOL wtf for real

ANY ONE HAVING ISSUES WITH THEIR 07 2.5 ALTIMA. A FRIENDS LOOKING AT ONE.