Turbo Gurus step in

I’ve been trying to sell this thing for a little while now and the most recent potential buyer has go me all messed up on the thing. The specs are as follows:

GT2871R COMPRESSOR TURBINE
Turbo PN CHRA PN Ind Whl Dia Exd Whl Dia Trim A/R Whl Dia Trim A/R
743347-2 446179-32 53.1mm 71.0mm 56 0.60 53.9mm 76 0.86
743347-4 446179-32 53.1mm 71.0mm 56 0.60 53.9mm 76 0.64

From here: http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/images/catalog/Turbochargers/gt28_pdfs/GT2871R_743347_2.pdf

Measured data:
Compressor:
inducer: 53.1mm Exducer: 71mm calculated trim 56

Turbine Wheel:
Inducer: 53.9mm Exducer: 47mm calculated trim 76

Now here is what the potential buyer is saying:

Changing the housing is not a viable alternative because your compressor wheel is not a 48 or 56 trim. I don’t remember the exact number, but I’d like to say it was 50 or 52. You can install another housing on it, but the clearance between the blades and the housings will be different and therefore have problems with blowing the boost back through the sides. Of course you could just buy one and have it machined to match your wheel. Either way, I will ask around and let you know if someone is interested.

Do you know how to measure the trim? It’s (inducer^2/exducer^2)x100. I would be very surprised to hear that’s a 56T, it’s beginning to sound more like a GT3071R. If you know how to measure the trim can you measure the exhaust side for me?

That sounded weird to me, so I called up my friend the turbo guru. He says that that combination was built by Turbonetics for a few years for the Ford 2.3 guys, maybe RBs and 1JZ kits.

mk30r … he can probably help you

Well, it’s a 56T GT2871 cartridge…

Potential buyer sounds retarded, sell it to someone else.

that’s basically what I thought. I just sent him an email telling him he’s getting confused because of the compressor housing and if he would like I can remove it from the sale and just sell him the CHRA, then he can order whatever the hell he would like for his setup. Probably won’t sell anyway, just another thing to sit on my shelf for the next year.

sounds like a 3071R, because they share compressor wheels. only difference between a 3071r and 2871R is the 30 uses a 60mm turbine wheel vs the “54mm” 28 wheel.

the potential buyer and turbo guru are morons.

if they have any question as to the origin of the turbo, they should just take the manufacturer part number, and CHRA ser.no. and email Garrett directly to get an answer.

what reason would you have to LIE about selling a GT2871R, with a OEM Garrett placard on the CHRA? ya cant fake the funk.

put this turbo for sale on VW Vortex. the 2871R is a big hit with the 300whp crowd on there.

^ knows his shit !

good idea, I had it up on nico club thinking those guys would be into the GT28 sized stuff but no bites at all.

Post it on ebay … Sold one of my blown turbos on there quick from a guy in New Guinnea . He paid for the International shipping as well .

I’ve gotten in trouble for saying shit about people on here before so I’ll keep my mouth shut, but…

What sounds weird is the fact that it comes with a 56T inside a .5 A?R gt28rs housing. Many manufactures use garret parts and combine them in different combinations than what Garrett sells them in. HKS, Turbonetics, Precision, etc. They never made their own turbos, at best they cast some housings. Your turbo is really weird because the only time garrett put that compressor housing on that compressor wheel was on the gt3071r, my friend does tell me that Turbonetics did offer that housing on that wheel just as you have it. The turbonetics part numbers would be identical to the Garrett ones because they are in fact the same. You need to stop referring to the Garrett website, I could just as easily send you some links of HKS turbos that have the exact same dimensions and part numbers of your turbo. That being said, how much do you want for the just the CHRA?

This. Mike, the guy you’ve been dealing with via email and that text you sent me is a complete moron. Find a new buyer, less hassle.