Turbo info

Hey guys, I haven’t spent much time with my new SR and now I want to get the stock turbo. I know that the stock SR turbos are T25 flanges, but I’ve been reading from various sources that the better turbos are T28 flange?
Are there any turbos that have the same flanges as the SR stock turbos so I can jus do a straight bolt on?
And, also if anyone can provide me with additional info on turbos and their bolting procedures and differences between types of flanges that would be much appreciated.

Your doesn’t make alot of sense.

I decyphered that you may want to upgrade your stock T25 turbo?
The s14 or s15 T28 is a good upgrade, it should bolt right on, stock lines should work aswell.
T25 and T28 are flanged the same.

Most commonly with the SR people use T25 and T3 flanges. With the T3 flanges you will need to either replace your current flange or get a new manifold.

You could also upgrade to a nice Garrett model T2(same as your T25) flange turbo, it will cost you alot more than a T28.

Bolting procedures…
Just unbolt and take it off.
You may want to take off the entire manifold and turbo extension with the turbo, unbolt the turbo, replace it, and install the manifold. I found this the easiest way.

ya good luck just changing the turbo when t is on the car, PAIN IN THE ASS

What I’ve been reading is that the S14 turbos is not a straigh bolt on to the stock SR manifold? the oil lines have to be “modified” in order for it to work on the S14 turbo…how about an RB20 turbo? what are the specs on that?
I’ve tried to read as much info on turbos as possible but there aren’t many articles that I’ve found that cover the bolting procedures and the different types of flanges used to bolt the turbo on. Actually, if anyone can provide with links to info on the technical info about turbo installation procedures, that’d be helpful (like a FAQ on turbos)

The only modification I’ve encountered was a slight 1/2" bend, nothing major.
I belive RB20 and RB25 Turbos are t3 flanged, you can go look up the specs yourself, there are various versions.

Bolting procedure for T3 and T2 flanges; 4 bolts, undo them.
If you go take a look at the turbo to manifold flange you’ll see what I mean.

ya man it is not hard and you Barly have to move the lines at all.

I just bolted up a nice T28 and it was not a problem with the Mani off

RB is a T3 flange and will not fit your manifold.

The oil lines are just a bit different. Just get a new set of lines made up (or order them) and you’ll be fine with a T28.

There’s just not a lot of options for that itty bitty T2 flange. Well, unless you want to cough up the scratch for a BB GT turbo.

What I’ve been reading is that the S14 turbos is not a straigh bolt on to the stock SR manifold? the oil lines have to be “modified” in order for it to work on the S14 turbo…how about an RB20 turbo? what are the specs on that?
I’ve tried to read as much info on turbos as possible but there aren’t many articles that I’ve found that cover the bolting procedures and the different types of flanges used to bolt the turbo on. Actually, if anyone can provide with links to info on the technical info about turbo installation procedures, that’d be helpful (like a FAQ on turbos)

ok man this is the deal, CA’s, SR’s (gti-r, s13, s14, s15) turbines are all interchangable. the only thing is that the t25 uses a lot more oil then the t28. i have a CA with a s14 t28 turbine, but all i need to do was buy an adapter fitting that goes in to my oil feed line that reduces the oil flow to the turbine.
rb turbines can not be used on a stock sr exhaust manifold, they have different flanges.

Yea I could only imagin (myself, I’d pull the motor just do remove the turbo)

I actually did remove my T25 today “with the motor outta the car thou” and it only took me 10 mins :stuck_out_tongue:

Only the RB20 & RB25… RB26 Turbo’s “can” be used… but tech their smaller then the stock T25 as they have a lower AR (since the application is 1 turbo per 3 cylinders) The RB26 Turbo’s are “slightly” better then a stock T25 only because their Ball Bearing (so they’ll spool quicker) but power wise… “it’ll be close to a T25”

Now… you could send out the T25 to (Cherry Turbo’s) and have Herman completely Modify it so that it will produce power past 6000rpm and support atleast 280whp… (all for like $500-$600) and at the same time its completely rebuilt “so you know its going to last” vs buying a used T28 which may crap out at anytime and for the same price ($500-$600)

thanks for all the information, I still need to do more research in terms of turbos and their differences in composition. I’ve never really seen a turbo with my own eyes (even though ones exists in my car!). And my experience only comes from doing, so I never really had a chance to see the similarities/differences in different types of turbos. Pictures mean a thousand words, so I’d to see pictures of different flanges and types of turbos for satisfy my curiousity.
But in any even, thanks guys for all the necessary info

The visual differences are hard to perceive from just a picture between T2 and T3 flanges.

They are both rectangular and both use 4 bolts, but the bolt pattern is different and therefore they do not interchange.

where do you get these filters and how much are they??

im sorry i wouldnt know, i get them at my local car shop here in okinawa. you’d have to ask one of your canadian friends. and if anyones does this id suggest just to go ahead and get a steel braided line.

While were on the subject, anyone know how much a new T28 is?

about $1000USD
http://www.agpturbo.com/product.php?productid=16232&cat=266&page=1