Turbo vs. Procharger, Lt1

waste of money, just save the money and use it for a house if you dont already have one, and i dont know how old you are but you say long time, then im thinking about 5 years and you most likely wont be in the street racing scene because it gets old

EDIT: i can’t read

done with this thread anyway

when he said he wanted to run 7ish to 8ish, he was referring to how much power he would run. as in 700-800hp. not 7’s in the quarter. I had to read it twice myself.

You people and your heavy fbodys…3100lbs FTW

thats a littl more reasonable, still goign to be exspensive, but a lot easier than pushing a house into the 8’s

Yes, i realize that many of you read into ET times being in the 7 or 8s. Thats obcene. even i realize that a fat pig like this cant move that good.

The goal for ET times on this would be low 10s high 9’s TOPS. There is a guy running 375s in the rear with a chopped rear end without tubs and thats as wide as he can go.

Here is what i had thought i would need to do this project.
Car = 5-10k
Turbo or procharger kit ~5k
cam, headers, built bottom end, forged pistons, rods valves sprigns, roller rockers. ~2k
New Heads??? ~1k
Turbo 400 built to handle 1000hp/1000tq. ~1500
Driveshaft and rear end built to handle Above numbers. ~2k???
Suspension things(i dont know yet) ~1k
Either tuned PCM or Standalone setup ~1-2k.
Boost controller ??? no idea.

That is pretty much my list of stuff i would need which on the high side is about 25k.

If someone wants to add in other things i forget or take out shit i dont need. That would be nice. Like i have said before. I know its huge, i know its heavy, and big and all the other synonymous words for such. But i like them, and want to be different.
If its more beneficial to do this with an LS1 So be it. But i think the Lt1 is just as capable.

as far as taking an lsx/ltx car and making it FI…take ur $'s for the engine build and FI related purchases, and double it…just givin u a sneak peak…

Thank you sir.

Honestly, I think you’ll get frustrated using the Caprice platform, with it being so heavy. Yeah, it’s something different, and definitely a cool idea, but getting it to haul ass is gonna take a lot of power, and then there’s still traction on the street to worry about. Have you counted out building a spray setup? Properly set up nitrous setups can perform on the same level as a turbo or SC car. If you’re only considering turbocharging or supercharging, I would say go with a turbo. As turbols1ss said, turbo setups usually produce substantially more torque than SC cars do, and that’s what you’re going to need to get that brick moving.

Im leaning towards Turbo right now. I was thinking of possibly ALSO running nitrous with the turbo to help get it off the line. That will be the hardest task to conqur. Even if its not a lot. I may need to tub it. Just to get what i need. Or else ill just spin all day. Turbo ls1 SS what tires are you running the rear? and hows your traction.

So it may be Turbo and spray. We will see. Now i would realy like to ride in some of these cars that you guys have. Because i dont have a feel for what fast is. I drive a Buick Lesabre. And i think my dads Bonnie SSEI is quick. Im kinda deprived of fast whips near me.

Now while it would be great to tear it up in the same league as chuck and turbo, a lot of the racing scene here in rochester isnt even CLOSE to that. So it wouldnt be hard to wreck people with a 150 shot on a stock impala. But I do want to be in that higher bracket.

Change of pace. I know you can change your BOV spring to alter how much boost your running. But is there a way to do it on the fly. Say i want to run 8 psi just for crusing around. But someone comes up next to me, and wants to play and i think thats not enough. Can i turn a knob or adjust something to turn it up to say like 20 psi or is that unpossible.

u dont need nitrous to spool a turbo when u got 5.7 liters… trust me… its not worth the added stress on the engine and turbo.

the tires i had this year were BFG DR’s. but they were faulty, and bald in 2 weeks. dont get me wrong, they were a hell of a lot better than street tires. but 1st and 2nd were useless. on warm days, sometimes i could feather into 2nd, but i would still get swirly. for the most part, 3rd and 4th were the only usefull gears… (still not full traction, but enough). the car can break loose at over 100 easily. i have still yet to shift the car hard. it will just go sideways. the hardest i shifted was at the track, and still no powershifting.

im prolly goin with something a little taller for a tire next year. im sure improved driving will help me… (for the warmer part of this year, i was getting used to the power)…

im sure theres a way to plant the power, thats my biggest goal over winter… and its not THAT bad… its worth having the tq

I think your pretty low on your trans and head prices, when you start making that much power you move into something completely different than a 500 horse small block, figure with a converter abut $3500 for a trans and at least $2500 for heads if not more. You might want to look at the 9c1 cars to save some coin too, if you do go the Impalla route make sure you do a lot of research becasue there are a lot of clones being sold as the real thing.

you can basically double or tripple those numbers, i’ve been there, i’ve done it

Some of those numbers are from talking to chuck at BWW once and from people i have gotten information from. They are un-researched and unsupported.

so scratch the nos.

Now it would be more expensive to do a T-56 swap than a turbo 400 build. Which do you guys think would be best for this application. Id like the control of a manual but the Autos slide right in.

autos are way faster, t56s are more fun. built t56s cost alot more than th400s. th350, 400s have no OD, 4l80s and t56s do.

pros and cons to both. depends what u want to do with the car, what u like

what can the stock 4l60e handle? 400ish?

So is this $25,000 dollar 1000 whp project going to be your first project? I know you’re just daydreaming, and it’s awesome that you’re researching a very cool idea, but they say that cars are like boxing. In this case, no matter how much you train it’s going to be ugly if you step into the ring with Ali for your first match. You might want to set aside a couple of grand to, say, boost a civic, fuck it up, fix it, get it running, blow it up, learn, fix it. Then start something bigger and better.

Just saying…

I wonder if it would be worthwhile for a project like this to start with swapping an LSx in place of the stock LT1 and/or scrap the idea of using an Impala and just totally customize a Caprice?

I know this is a huge project for a first timer. But i think if i know the right people. since this is going to be a TOY for the summer. i wont have to rely on it to go anywhere. The impalas have other underlayments that carprices do not. Stronger rear ends and driveshafts, stiffer suspensions. and better looks with a nice interior.

More like 250ish. Seriously, they are garbage. Put something better in it.

Here’s the best advice you will get from this thread…save your money and buy something else to start a project with.