Ummmmm....motha fawker..........

Pictures speak a thousand words, but only one is needed for these…I’ll let Cossey fill in the blank.

It’s unfortunate, but the damage is as I ultimately feared and suspected, even though i didn’t want to admit it. Input shaft has completely sheared off. It was not a spontaneous event either, there are stress risers on the shaft to one side indicating that it was working through for I’d say at least a thousand miles. I’m going to take the shaft to the machine shop and magnaflux it to see how far the risers travel and where the cracks extend to.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o285/Boxxersix/snap.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o285/Boxxersix/snap2.jpg

That’s only part of it. The clutch was not a Cusco. It’s a Exedy, triple plate sintered metallic solid hub. You couldn’t put a worse clutch in this car for street use if you tried. Absolute total abuse to the transmission.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o285/Boxxersix/extrp.jpg

Then we get into some other BS we found today. Let’s start with the bellhousing bolts…two missing completely, one finger loose. The bellhousing could flex and distort completely over the hard launch. GT-R drivetrains incorporate the front diff into the oil pan of the engine, which amplifies the torque load on the bellhousing.

What about this one:

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o285/Boxxersix/rufkm.jpg

18 x 1.25mm pitch bolt pluggin a vacuum port on the head. Awesome. Missing a couple intake plenum to injector block fasteners, hoses not hooked up or clamped for that matter(have pics on my phone). Two crossmember suspension bolts are also missing from the rear. Nothing dangerous or detrimental to the car/driver but not good in any case.

I’m not impressed with the effort that was put into the car prior. Yes it’s a skyline, but in the end it’s it just a car and is not all that difficult to work on and repair properly!!!

Unfortunately it’ll be down for awhile. I have to get ahold of my contacts in austrailia for some parts. I might even talk to OS giken about their replacement input stub shaft. Never thought in my time I’d get to work on one of these cars, let alone have to use those contacts in this manner.

I feel bad for Cossey :frowning: fucking cars…

I called it at the track.

Oh wow. I thought I was the only one who bought a car with bolts plugging hoses :’(

Damn with all that money he spent on his cars theyre still like this. Fucking sucks.

I guess it doesnt matter how much you spend on a car.

That snapped input shaft is crazy.

I’ve seen vacuum lines tied in knots :lol :lol

oh boy… metallic triple. Explains the drivability issue, awesome clutch, but like you said, not for the street. It sucks this guy wasnt 100% honest with the car. My question is, would you be able to source the imput shaft directly from Getrag?

also, it sucks it broke. but better in his backyard so to speak, than on I-95 coming home.

Damn man, gaayyy. Reminds me of my car :rofl

Wow, thats terrible. Id be calling that guy for a couple bucks back to say the least…

Holy shit!!! Ouch!

Car seems a little cob jobbed up.

Adam do ya think the missing bellhousing bolts and nasty clutch caused the input shaft to break? Is that a common way skyline trannys break?

Definitely afro-engineered

:lol

haha what about a wheel lock as a coolant hose block off, I could make a whole thread dedicated to shit ive found on the poop.

looks like there isn’t too much you can do on it right now huh? :smiley:

Haha, same here. Skateboard bearing used as a fuel rail washer… :lol. I would expect it on these old rides though… not something as “exotic” as the Skyline.

Damn that’s a bummer. At least it will be put back together right now…

If you can get me a closer, higher resolution pic of the input shaft I can tell you the failure mode.

im sure adam has it under control

Haha me too, good ole mechanics lab. Got a bunch of pics of aluminum rods we twisted, bent, pulled and all that good stuff.

The shitty thing is I know the shop in Md that did the work on this car and its very reputable and I have seen great work from them in years past. I’m a little shocked by it. I’m assuming they did most if not all the work to it as the kid that had the car always had his work done there.