UOIT Formula SAE team

please, explain to me why it “FAILS”…:roll2:

they are fast but they do run a 20mm restrictor so its not as much power as you would think.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6159/6205817461_1cb8afbe7f_z.jpg

rlly?

nough said.

Some high hp N/A teams run around 90hp and forced induction teams upwards of 100 hp. Not a ton of power but a lot consider it’s breathing through a single 20mm restrictor instead of four 38mm ITB’s. Car’s with a good launch control setup are good for around a 3.5s run to 60mph

you’re right… it’s not like countless hours of flow simulation, wind tunnel development and real world testing data were done to justify the extra weight and expenses of that package. oh wait :banghead:

with a lil motor like that and you cant get the power down unless u have 2974983274 pounds of downforce and 309832times more drag?

if u gonna sit there and tell me there no drag on the wing… yah didnt think so.

unless that second airfoil is adjustable electronically…like DRS… which it doesnt look like it.

with a smaller wing or just 1… and umm smaller endplates maybe? LOL i wouldnt complain. but even f1 doesnt do that. must be saying something.

Comparing FSAE to F1 :bloated:

extreme example.

but that one is active… is the one in the pic?

Missouri does not have active aero, but that does not mean Missouri’s aero package is fail.
They have proved numerous times with that exact aero package that they are one of the fastest teams in FSAE and they do always do well in dynamic events.

In order to have an effective wing in FSAE you will be increasing drag it is just a way of life. Our cars do not reach high enough speeds for aero to be very beneficial (still slightly beneficial though)
You can go the active aero direction but that increases weight, Missouri doesn’t look that light but they are.
They choose to go in that direction and they proved it too work, you can NOT say that it is fail.

Other teams do choose to not use aero but that is usually weight related not drag related.
Every team has a different recipe for going fast you have to make sacrifices in some areas but then compensate for them in others

You are an idiot. You have no idea how much actual engineering goes into our cars. It is not some home made go-kart. Yea, some teams make what appear to be silly decisions but everyone can justify those decisions in one way or another. These cars are built to the degree that would put ANY build thread to shame, and they are all done in less than a year.

^^ Agree.

Driftacular: Aren’t you an engineering major @ UOIT?

i say fail in the sense that its way to much and over the top, though it may be justifiable.
you can achieve better performance without so much.

like you said if other teams are able to achieve good times without aero, then not necessarily does it NEED aero. or that much anyways…

^yup.

But you need to understand that you design the car with different “packages” you can have a heavier, more powerful, and more down force (yes and more drag). That platform will perform equally to a lighter, less powerful, drag free car. It is proven that aero like that works and works well. If Missouri was to get rid of their wings I guarantee they would loose their position and speed in FSAE.

Stop being arrogant and realise it isn’t fail and especially considering what car it is on.

Some teams focus their efforts in different aspects of the car depending on many different factors. My guess is that they have a few standout students who were overly interested in aerodynamics. Other teams may have students who are more ambitious in other things like suspension design and may focus efforts there.

" That platform will perform equally to a lighter, less powerful, drag free car" is all I’m looking it.

like i said, i never said the aero didnt do anything.

Yeah, it’s just a difference in opinion and what the team wants to do overall. There are many different ways to achieve the goal of speed. Engineers are quirky people.

I like you!! borat voice
lol

ima +1 this man!

geez, didn’t realize there position would become loose. Better keep that package on, WOULDN’T WANT THEM FLYING AWAY LOLOLOLOLOL

You FAIL, nice try though.

cant pick on us engineers for grammatical/spelling errors!!! we arent english majors for a reason xD

aw shieeeeeeeeeeeet such fail…