V6 CAMARO AUTO-X

Would a v6 camaro be a good auto-x car

im interested because…

im to large for a miata
parts are cheap and easy to come by
its to hard to find a rust free 240sx for a decent price
and i dont want to auto-x my dd anymore…

i would like to hear your thoughts on this subject!!!

dont flame me and say just buy a v8 its not in the budget and i really actually enjoy driving slow cars!!!

the day you buy a relatively quick car ill go into shock. As for the camaro im sure many have done it but suspension wouldnt be cheap. Theres the guy that has the sn95 with suspension work and hes good at autocross. IM sure it would be cheap to pick one of those up. hell you could even get a gt for a couple grand.

I was going to say that there is no fucking way that a V6 Camaro could be any worse for Auto-x than your daily driver… but I would have been wrong. You really auto-x an Elantra?

heck ya i auto-x an elantra hell i even auto-xed a rental kia ronda

i was running a pretty consistent 2nd place at north park in hstock up until the new golfs and jettas came out so its time to move on…

anywho i would like info in v6 camaros and firebirds

Guy on thirdgen.org races v6 thirdgens on autocross and it does better than most cars out there. They are much lighter than v8 versions and with camaro suspension mods, it will outhandle just about anything you face regardless of power level, on tighter autox courses.

You need to know how to setup the suspension tho but with proper geometry and spring/shock combination rates, they will be the superior platform. Next best would be a ls1 swapped thirdgen as its lighter than the iron block factory sbc v8’s

www.frrax.com is great site for fbody roadrace and autox

thank you sir thats the kind of imput i was looking for. i do know alot of the v8 parts are interchangable with the v6 like rear ends and brakes and what not.

suspension and stuff is all the same. Thats the advantage with a V6, it is so much lighter, much better 50/50 ratio of weight so you can have a great handling car. Just underpowered for larger open courses. Might be helpful on a short course so your not fighting traction with a torquey V8

A Camaro/Firebird can do well in the Prepared classes with a very high level of suspension prep, very aggressive alignment, and R-compound tires. Otherwise it is too big, under powered, and has a huge turning radius which will suck balls on tighter course where the V8 cars can’t stretch thier legs and use power to rotate the car.

A decent suspension on the Elantra and sticky tires will be far more useful than a Camaro IMO.

Guess you havent seen some of the autox camaros then?

Hell, there is a road race class for the V6 cars even, autoxing them can’t be much worse lol. Seriously if your looking for something GM and rear wheel drive have you considered a used Solstice? They are decently sized for sitting inside, but not too big for autox. They can carry huge tires for their size. And having 3 degrees of adjustable camber stock is kinda nice.

If your sticking with the V6 Camaro for price. Then just consider what class you’ll end in for what level of prep your looking at. In stock class your in G-stock so your against most the front wheel drive perfomance cars you can buy today (Civic Si, Sentra SER, and the Mini at least for this year). Moving up to Street Prepared you’ll be in ESP against the V8 cars & WRX’s. Again your advantage here is the V6 should be a bit more nimble. But I’d definitely consider shocks & tires way up on my list of things that need done right now.

What generation is Rudy’s car? Aren’t some of the camaro-bird-am’s in FS? Maybe they didn’t have a v6 in that generation though.

Rudy’s 4th gen is a SS I think, which goto AS. The normal V8 F-bodys all goto F-stock. The 4th gens with the V6 had the 3.8 towing it around which wasn’t too bad.

Considering I’m at every SCR and NHSCC event for the last several years…I’d say I have seen all of them. Only 2 go fast, Mark Andy’s and Strano’s, both FSP. The FS versions aren’t terribly quick at all, at least not locally in this region.

i would love to put a decent suspension and some sticky tires on my elantra but… 1. i have to drive it (35 to 40,000 miles a year) 2. they dont offer any good struts for the car and im not going to spend my money on GR-2’s and some sub par lowering springs and just have an ok suspension set up. i will never drive a car with coilovers as a dd ever again so coilovers are out. 3. id like to dabble in the rwd community for a while and again i have seen some FS and FSP camaro/firebirds at north park and they look heavy and out of place almost but im pretty confident that a v6 would be a bit more agile though its weight and size…

If you’re serious about doing this, you need to talk to TJZ28. He lived and breathed auto-x and RR his Z28 for years. He’s upgraded to a Z06 now, but he’s big enough of a nerd to have it still all rattling around in his brain.

How far away do these events go? Maybe this region doesnt have alot of people doing the v6 thirdgen stuff? I would think the V6 thridgens would be quicker than the V6 4th gens just based on size/weight/dimensions

I think you are right about the local region as far as V6 stuff. At nationals there are a quite a few fast guys, but the V8 guys are still faster.

if you are going v6 camaro i would try to find 3.8 as they seem more durable than the 2.8:rofl: or 3.4

:nono:

I just got in a 99 v-6 3.8 5spd hard top camaro 62k r 1/4 damage