Vessel sinks- anyone have one?

I’m looking to re-do my 100% pink bathroom to a lot more modern setup and I really like these type of sinks when I see them out at bars and such. Anyone have one at their place or had experience installing one? I’m wondering in a home application about 1.) durability, if you had any issues, 2.) Cleanliness, do you end up getting water everywhere, and 3.) matching hardware and vanity installs, pics would be great. I’m having trouble finding vanity/countertop setups that don’t have the hole for a sink in them, and faucets that don’t just look like a tall pump tower. For reference, this is the type of thing I’m talking about.
http://common.csnstores.com/Dreamline-Waves-Art-Vessel-Sink~img~DLN~DLN1713_l.jpg
http://common.csnstores.com/DecoLav-Translucence-Oval-Glass-Vessel-Sink~img~DLV~DLV1025_b.jpg

check out homedecoratorsoutlet.com they had a few nice setups a few months back

I have 2 of them with custom made concrete counter tops. No durability issues so far. I do seem to splash a little more water when washing my face but it is not a big issue. The one thing I never thought of was the fact that the vessel is shaped like a mega-phone and the water going down the drain is amplified. lol If my wife is sleeping while I am getting ready for work it seems loud but she has never actually awakened from it. lol.
The only other issue is the fact that there is no overflow drain which may not seem like a big deal until your 3 year old thinks its fun to play in your sink.:frowning:

custom concrete countertops, wow, sounds expensive. Probably wouldn’t fit into my $3k budget to do the whole bathroom :lol: If you get a chance some time to post a pic of your setup, it’d be great. Did you do the typical vessel sink faucet which is like a single tower?As for the overflow issue, I think i’d be OK as the closest thing I have to 3 year olds around is very drunk people.
Rob, good site, unfortunately they don’t have anything in the color scheme i’m looking for right now. I fell in love with this black granite countertop with blue pearl in it that you can only see in the light last night, and it would look amazing with a black vanity and the sink in the first post, but alas, its a kitchen countertop and min order is 25 ft, my vanity size is a whopping 25" :mad:

concrete countertops can be DIY’d. These sinks are sweet!

From what I gather concrete counter tops are similar in pricing to granite. I helped my uncle make my grandmas and they look awesome and are supposed to be better than granite. They weigh a fucking ton though.

all stone countertops have their ups and downs. They all require a small deal of maintenance as well.

That is true for everything in life, but thanks for stating the obvious. :slight_smile:

:picard:

caught me mid edit. Oh well

well I stated it because you said that concrete is better, but you never mentioned in what way.

Also, with something like a corian of formica countertop there is little to no maintenance besides cleaning it.

Yeah concrete is not cheap, we paid $100/square foot 2 years ago.
The kitchen countertop was about 80 square feet. (gulp)
The faucets are wall mounted.
There is a picture of it somewhere in here…

I said “supposedly”, I don’t know if they are Indeed better, that’s just what I have read/heard. I think their main selling point is their resistance to stains when compared to granite.

oddly enough, i came in here expecting to see a boat sinking…

The weird part is that when they are wet they look stained like a regular concrete driveway, etc.

save ya the trouble.

^ that looks unfinished to me. Meh…

80 sqft seems really big.

I would do concrete only if I was going to attempt a DIY. I flat vanity countertop can’t be too hard to do. It does take ~30 days to fully cure though. That is the tough part.

Well, yeah that is kind of the idea with concrete.
I prefer it over polished granite or marble(Gaudy imho).
I am more “earthy” :P, granite and marble are not shiney when they are in their natural state.

You don’t need to wait 30 days unless you plan on driving on it or your sink weighs 1000lbs…:stuck_out_tongue:
It definately could be DIY, it only really costs a few bucks to build a form and buy a couple bags of concrete.