Vinyl Fence Installation

Had it, hated it, replaced it! Stick with a pressure treated wood fence!

I am leaning more toward wood the more I look at vinyl.

Which type of vynl did you have, and how tall was it? What kind of problems did you have? My wife is starting to look at the fake stone fencing. I’m starting to like the look of it, but I don’t know how well it’ll hold up.

I had a 6 foot high fence between 2 garages, I bought it from Home Depot. Decent quality and all that, but the truth is it cannot stand up to the spring and fall winds here. Every year I would have to reattach the panels as the clips used to hold the panels in would fail. Became a such an agrivation I built a pressure treated fence stained it with sikkens and have had zero problems. I would NEVER waste my time with vinyl again. Drive around and look at people who have it after storms and you will see they all have problems. Just my Two cents!

Odd that my vinyl fence professionally installed has given me zero issues with winds/snow loads etc…

And for those that like the look of a nice wood fence…I can not fault you but FUCK maintenance on that shit…power wash clean then stain/seal.

Vinyl Fence…Power Wash…done…

My dad wishes he used vinyl instead of wood for the maintenance reason, even though he’s stained it once in 20 years and still looks really nice. I think the biggest thing with vinyl is people do not reinforce the posts, they just put an empty vinyl post in the ground. I was thinking put in a pressure treated wood post and throw the vinyl over it for reinforcement.

Did you talk to Expert Fence?

The filled my vinyl posts with concrete and IIRC, they drilled holes in the posts to let the concrete harden between the ground and inside the post like an anchor of sorts.

They also used an upgraded thickness of vinyl for posts and built steel frames for their doors so they do not warp/break.

Usually the posts are a wood 4x4 in the ground or filled with concrete. If you put an empty shell post in you’re a moron.

Extreme has not called me back yet but I will bug them again today. And yes I agree LOL^^

I installed 30-40 feet for a friend of mine, supplied by the vinyl outlet. 1 1/2-2" diameter steel posts pounded directly in the ground, at least 24" deep. Brackets over those, sleeves over brackets. He’s had no complaints. I do like the concrete option but no one usually goes down deep enough.

Would you be interested in doing 150 feet??? I was thinking 9 foot posts, 30 inches deep, but that’s just based of my amazing internet home depot comments knowledge.

Not anymore. Traded the post hole digger for a pencil.

In the end I ended up going with wood, I just enjoy the look better. I did go with city fence as well.

They just did a Black aluminum fence for me this week. Looks amazing.

From all the companies I’ve spoken to they’re the only ones with a lifetime warranty on the material. and 5 years on labor, everyone else was 1 year for both, so it cost me about 1200$ extra for them but the warranty was peace of mind and it is transferable to the next owner.

City Fence is currently wrapping up, and man it looks fucking fantastic, guys were great too. Lifetime warranty on the material, 10 years on labor, very happy I went with them, they come back this weekend to put one final panel back on and it’ll be all wrapped up.

I honestly didn’t get multiple quotes. I work right next door to city fence on Walden so I went over and talked to them. From there my wife handled it. I felt the cost was reasonable, service was excellent, and I am happy with the product. Glad you are too.

BUMP! So I’m having a few more feet added in the next couple weeks, but I wanted to get a chain link gate also. It’s only a 10 ft. wide driveway, but they want 800$ for a gate. I think that’s a little high. Anyone on here think any different? I may tackle this gate on my own with some friends unless someone on here ( @1QIKZ ) can do a little better on the price.

I’ll add to this thread (granted I live in the PNW)

Got a quote for 119’ on vinyl fence (almond in color) with 1 5’ gate, quote was $4,100 plus tax.

I took a walk through a bunch of neighborhoods, and I could REALLY tell who did their own fences, they look like SHIT. My land is very sandy/loam, with a shit ton of large rocks buried. Materials alone if I were to do it myself are $3k plus. Plus renting a post driller, and breaking atleast one bit, i’ll have it professionally done.

Don’t do a chain link gate with a wood fence. I went with a metal gate with cedar pickets over it to match the rest of my fence.