Vinyl Wrap

This is my first attempt at vinyl wrap.

I cleaned the grille with soap, water, and a scotchpad.

I think it turned out ‘ok’ but there are some small bumps and bubbles. I figured, If I screwed up, This is the smallest amount of material that I’ll be using so it won’t be as costly to re-do.

What are your thoughts? kinda reminds me of primer but I hope it will have different tones.

http://awdu13.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/05302012157.jpg?w=640&h=480

Looks good. Quote me on on a full car? lol

I understand why ppl charge so much to do this application. The material isn’t expensive, but the labour is intensive.

ive toyed with it myself its cool stuff

what color was the original part? can u post pic of b4 applyig?

the color of the original part was black

where do you get the vinyl? I m thinking about doing my car’s front end myself. I have all the time in the world right now.

Harmit, PM me and we can discuss what you need.

Almost done my entire car. Only easy stuff left. If you’re willing to learn how to use the stuff yourself this can make your car look great for cheap! Learning does suck though. THe first time around usually ends up as a “good from far, far from good” situation.

It’d be nice if I had a time lapse camera or something, shows exactly how long it takes for a newb to do it.
Next thing I’m going to do is my fenders, then front bumper, then hood.

front bumper is always a train wreck the first time.

oh god… I know for sure I need an extra pair of hands.
So what you did was take a smaller piece and do the concave hole areas, and then overlay with another?

---------- Post added at 03:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:58 PM ----------

Just a reference image of what someone else did with Di-noc

proper Vinyl like 3M or Avery that is made for cars is alot easier to work with. You wouldnt have to cut any relief cuts like that carbon wrap. Its alot more expensive but if your looking for a semi permanent 5-7 years job then it pays to get the good stuff

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab9/RED_LINE69/14106_556668891194_227302687_3226391_4005096_n.jpg
It’s amazing how good 3M Dinoc looks on just about anything, as long as you know how to handle it. I did my center console and my laptop a little while back, came out great!

3m Di-noc is very think material. Di-noc is an architectural and interior design application which has transitioned to automotive use.
That’s not what I’m working with.

3m Scotchprint is specifically designed as a car wrap. It stretches much more than Di-noc and as I said, If it was not a forgiving material, I probably wouldn’t have gotten my grille at that stage.

That being said. Concave and hole areas are not as easy as youtube videos make it to be.

Also of significant note to those who want to do it themselves. Vinyl makes every single impurity stand out. If you have a rust bucket of a car, you’re just asking for everyone to see the lumps and bumps

3M sctochprint vinyl is amazing. If you’re patient enough though you can turn it into a killer finish. Had tons of fun wrapping soo many things and parts of my car. Hard to work with at first because you’re soo worried about it losing its tackyness. But once you do it well a few times its a breeze. Your grill looks killer. For a first time wrap. The bubbles and such wait for a nice hot day and work them out.

thx thx. i’ll try working out the bubble on a hot day.

Poke the bubbles with a razor to cut a small hole in them then push the air out, instead of working it across the entire pAnel

I got some hexis vinyl wrap their shiny carbon… and i was trying to wrap my eastbear s13 headlights… three tries and i screwed up then ran out of vinyl LOL… but i chose the most complex shape i could work with… multiple bends, sharp edges, details and circles, deep hole, etc… oddly shaped… not as easy as one would think… on the other hand something flat and with smooth curves… much easier to work with…

takes alot of practice but then costs quite a bit lol

Edit: oh yeah the hexis stuff well the ‘air whatever’ technology… eeh… it didnt really work that well… the bubbles just stayed there… they didnt magically pop through the surface… lol… i got the wrap from amazon i doubt i got fake stuff or im just newb at it :slight_smile:

trying to figure out how your comments may contribute to my thread and the only thing i figured out is not to do what you do.