vonage help

ok … so I have high speed internet at my house and no land line phone… there is nothing to the house and with me not wanted to spend the time and money to get it done and run threwout the house… the question I have is do I need a land line phone to get vonage… or can they just setup the voip crap with out it…

Thanks
mike

vonage runs over your internet connection so you are set.

just remember that voice traffic doesnt have priority on the internet so if you have the cheapest dsl internet shared between people who like to download and multiple computers, you might have some quality problems.

Get a router with QoS?

Didn’t you have to go satellite internet? If that’s the case vonage is not going to work.

i have wildblue pro package… only thing i dont know is i have a `15gb cap and i dont know if it will go towards it

Your internet connection probably isn’t going to work with Vonage, or any VoIP service for that matter. The time to bounce a signal to space and back is just too long. You can try it buy my money is on the quality being way less than a cell call. Much more like the “talk-wait-talk” stuff you see on CNN when they’re talking to reporters in some other country via satellite phone.

From someone more technical on the vonage forums:

As a satellite user (Direcway) and frequent contributor to threads on WildBlue in a lot of places, I have used that quote many times to demonstrate the willingness of WildBlue to “oversell” their product with true, but highly misleading statements.

Latency is a round trip. you cannot do anything with a one way trip “up to the satellite and back down to the ground.” Some moderately complicated trig will demonstrate that, at the speed of light, the closest point in the US to the Anik F2 satellite (southern Texas) will have 505ms of speed-of-light travel. Double the “about a quarter second” quote. No amount of “new Technology” will repeal that speed limit. All other points in the US and Canada will have progressively longer s-o-l delays. Now that WildBlue is actually installing, we are seeing real-world reports on latency, and it is running 600ms to 1000ms typical.

That is in line with what I see on my higher-end Direcway account, and is certainly usable with Vonage if they don’t degrade as the user base enlarges. Consumer Direcway has highly variable latency between 700ms and 2000ms, which leads to much more VoIP frustration.

its a waste. Your router will tag the packets with it but when they hit the internet router, they will be ignored and you will just be sending traffic like any other internet user.

on a side note, if you are looking for a basic internet phone, check out Skype. i used to use it a lot and it was awesome. you have your own incoming number and also can pay per minute or other different billing plans depending on how you use it. i also have this little usb phone thati used with it and it was just like a normal phone.

http://www.voipsupply.com/product_info.php?products_id=1522

^^ but would scype work… jay said it will not?

you will run into latency issues if satellites is as bad as that is made out to be. the phone systems we install are based around a 300ms round trip time however we have customers with officers in the US and India that are connected and get some pretty wild times and run a call center so here is a test:

go to Start>Run and type cmd and press enter.

In that box type: ping skype.com

you will see a part that says “time=XXX”. What is the value?

cool … im at work right now and im at min=35 max=36 av=35 25% loss

what #'s should i want to see to make the yes or no call for vonage or skype

ideally nothing higher than 150ms and 0% loss

Explain to me how when at the speed of light it takes 500+ ms to go from the earth to the satellite and then back you expect him to get anywhere near 150ms?

That 500+ is pure science, assuming no hardware delays at all, just a beam of light shot straight up from Texas to the satellite directly overhead and then straight back. 500ms round trip travel time. Add in server delays, additional internet hops, and the fact that the trip will be longer from Buffalo to a satellite over Texas than from Texas and if he gets less than 700ms I’ll be SHOCKED. If he gets under 500 I’ll go find him some grant money because he’s found a way to increase the speed of light.