Vote: Members Only

Should the public sections be read-only access so that members can see what our club is all about, but have to pay to play?

On the positive side, we will get more serious members and more funding.

On the negative side, we may turn away a few members.

Vote on it, and post your opinions, as this will have a big impact on our club.

Drastic measures are required to clean out the club, I think we should work it so that Paying NEO members can post since most of them aren’t complete idiots.

can you guys seriously name a handful of ‘serious members’ that would join?

and can you explain how it would result in more funding?

and what would this money be used for?

Its not names, its simply encouraging only people who are serious enough to pay the membership to be part of the club.

If people have to pay to access the board, then more people will be willing
to pony up the money. There are alot of users that take these forums
for granted.

Lastly the money can be used to fund SON meets and merchandise, and to
secure future hosting.

What is wrong with the way it is now?

Keep memebers section for the people who paid the $20 (no access/no reading for non members)

Keep Classifides, Tech, and How to’s for general public

Will Neo let us in their memebers section? (i highly doubt it)…if they do…then it shouldn’t be a problem for us to hook them up.

They can pay to play just like everyone else, or they can share their knowledge and wisdom in the tech/How-to section.

I like the way it is now. But its an idea to consider. Hence the vote.

I voted no, but then changed my mind.

There is a LOT of knowledge about the 240SX located here already. And if they’ll still be able to read it, fine.

If the club is going to be a CLUB, not just a forum, then there’s really no reason anyone EXCEPT MEMBERS should be allowed to post. It’s our CLUB, not their place to galavant about the internet and waste our bandwidth.
Edit:
then again on second thought, (or third) whatever,) maybe it is fine the way it is now. ehh… leave my vote alone. leave it as no. can’t hurt to have the new guys at least be able to interact with us a little bit so they feel, you know, welcomed or something.

im thinkin the same way 240gurl is thinkin. its good like that we have our own private section and we can do what we want there .

farmer

^^^ totally agree, if they are serious about the club then they will pay , like me i was on here for free for a long time then decided that this is something that id really like getting into an dim sure others are the same way

I voted no, reason being is if potential members have questions they should be allowed to ask and since we have a lot of knowledgeable (sp?) people on here then they can get a decent reply back. That is one of the reasons I joined as well. Honestly if the forums were read-only, then i wouldn’t be here as often and consequently wouldn’t have paid membership. IMO I think the way the forums are set up right now are ideal.

Oh yeah i forgot to mention another thing, read-only equals less stuff for sale in classified.

I think i’ve made my stand on this issue clear a while ago.

yes as long as: buy and sell is open
non members get read only access to tech, FAQ, Chat and meets (once they sign up to teh board) and full privelages to “new users”

DRE

I voted “no”. I was lurking on this site for a long time. I then proceeded to sign in to the forum, and after being able to interact with you guys for a while, I could then make a better decision about joining the club. I think the way it is right now is probably the best for allowing the forum to grow and promote the 240 as a great automobile.
But I do seem to be the newest “newbie” here, so don’t worry about my opinion (yet). :stuck_out_tongue:

I also voted no. I think that it is good how it is right now. Just I think that the Group Buys should be members only to begin with, then if more buyers are needed open it to the public.

I vote NO. Things are perfectly fine just the way they are.

I voted yes. It seems to me that the consensus is that SON should be a “Car Club” as opposed to a “Online Forum”. A Car Club takes money to run events, and the people that will be participating in these events will be the members of the club. For that reason alone, it makes sense to charge a fee to participate in the online part of SON.

If there is a paying core of members, who participate in events and also post on the board it would greatly reduce the overwhelming amount of bullsh*t posts.

Non-paying members can read the info on the boards, get to know the 240sx and are encouraged to come out to meets, however until they are full fledged members they cannot post on the board.

That makes sense to me. :slight_smile:

Limit thier access to General, Tech, and Buy & Sell