Son going members only ?? (which body kit is worse)

Nothing is final yet, but it may look like SON is going paid members
only .And hey, everone is free to leave; no one is pointing a gun to your
head and making you stay or pay $10 for forum access.

Gee, $10 is too much, but “I wanna be a drifter; where can I get an SR motor for cheap?” :roll:

Wait and see, then decide where you wanna be; here, or somewhere else.

I had nothing to do with it :squintfinger:
I think someone needs a :grouphug:

Is there a particular reason for the proposed members only designation?

Maybe we should keep it 100% free so we can have all sorts of drama to keek us busy? :shock:

I voted Black Widow. Trust me dawg, any car with a Veilside kit is sick.
I mean, you put a veilside on and everyone will think you’re a drifter and
want your autograph. :mrgreen:

If anyone feels that the $10 or $20 (or $35 or whatever) membership fee
is too much, you might wanna speak up. I mean we’re talking about a lot
of money here.

withdrawn…

and veilside kits for the 240sx are 99% fakes, made by VIS and sold through erebuni, VIS and other second rate places.

Grounddesigns makes a 7 layer fibreglass kit that is all orignal and far superior to the VIS copies that are renamed TSC and what not.

i have worked with GD and VIS kits side by side. the quality is not comparable.

however i have never seen a real veilside kit… i have seen about 20 fakes that people thought were real.

I dunno, maybe move to Bermuda, buy a condo by the beach, and live the life I suppose.

:wavey:

Hey, AppleSauce, can I get your MSN account? I wanna chat with you (serious).
Or if you wanna add me…

Firstly - Veilside (or any cheap rip-offs) is worse since it ruins the lines of a good looking car.

Also, AppleSauce - pay up or shut up. I realise this point holds very little water as it is made by a freeloader like you, but you do realise there are people who are paying so that you can go on here to bitch and whine about every injustice that your perceive you are suffering. If you like the boards (otherwise you’d have to be a masochist to keep coming back, right?) then pay the fee and post all you want.
It works like this - people like you make a mess of these boards, which in turn causes a lot of bandwidth to be wasted (and it is wasted) and the club look bad. However, you’re really not a member so it isn’t fair to the people paying the bucks.
As for me… I’ll see how this goes, maybe I will become a paying member of SON (that will be one funny day).

As an aside to the powers that be - perhaps make the various boards read-only. People can lurk and learn about the car and the club, then they can pay (and it will be an informed decision) whether they want to join. That way people know what they are getting into and SON’s forums will still be beneficial to the 240sx community.

I posted this in the Admin & Mod section only but I think it’s something thats visable to post here since it’s pertaining to the topic.

Look by the way that things are sounding, it looks like your turning SON into a TOTAL pay site.

This I think is the wrong approach. Because as many people have stated is true. There is nothing worth paying for as of this moment.

I think what will work is… (I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again…) what NEO has done and made it a donation based system. This was implemented before and thats how we paid for the initial internet fees here on SON a year or so back.

• keep the General Section the way it is, FREE
  • Move Media to the Members Section
  • Move Classified Catagories (Buy/Sell & Group Buys) to General and remove the Classified catagory

SON should have the same stance as NEO when it comes to information, keep it avalible for the public to access, by closing those doors you close the opportunity to allow people to see a need to join.

I talked to AppleSauce on MSN last night. He’s got a totally different view
on what SON should be. He also didn’t really care to change his attitude
in picking on moderators, especially me, thinking we’re all power hungry
and just like to delete/lock threads just to make ourselves happy.

He also doesn’t really want to be a physical part of this club (come to
meets, socialize, etc.). He wants to remain an online entity, hiding behind
the shadows of his computer.

If you don’t like things here, leave. Simple as that. I think FreshAlloy is waiting…

Hey thats good for him, if he’s a “online net entity” then I think it would do him well to come out and say what he wants to same himself.

Whats his different view? Whats the point of saying that his ideas are different if he’s not going to be vocal on the issue?

Calling out Applesauce, lets hear it from YOU not your rep.

the problem was never the spelling on here…

it is the people like this guy who can make this place all together undesireable at no risk to themselves.

i withdraw my comment and apologize to everyone EXCEPT applesauce…

but i reiterate the lack of respect and complete disregaurd it takes to make comments like applesauce’s with regard to Gonad.

the same thing goes for whomever it was that shoot off at Dre the other day…

Dre and gonad have done olot of creative work on here and their efforts should be respected by all.

to take it another step, the other day there was another guy barking off at JohnnyZ.

WTF? the guy is a professional, and likely better educated than all of us and our fathers. And then more 17 year old kids start arguing with the likes of Martin, Adam, on tech issues.

the problem was never grammar… it is unproven, adolescent aingst spouting off on-line because if they did it at home they would get a spanking…

they don’t understand that mod a forum isn’t easy. i have done it before (R.I.P.) and it was real hard because of alot of BS board members. sure iget mad too when i have something good to say to a topic then i find out its locked. but thats the way things are. i don’t think that son should go completly fee.

i say keep some of it to members only. like group buys have those only for members only for the first while and then after the first few weeks of it members only and its not full yet move it to the public so the group buy can go through.

it’s not just applesauce making this place undesireable… there’s too many people here with uncontrolable verbal diareah… it’s like they feel the need to say useless sh!t in every post, just for the sake of posting (maybe you should eliminate post counts all together).

some of the well known member’s/mods also have a problem with making people feel inferior to them… time to get off your high horses and make this place welcoming for potential members.

I hate to say it, but the immaturity really shows here @ SON.

:!: :!: :!: :!:

i think polex’s read only idea is perfect

The most valuable part of this forum is the classifieds. There are hundreds of active registered members that view these everyday. If this is made a members only section it will have a massive negative impact on the 240 community. There are a lot of new entrepreneurs on the board now and in my opinion they won’t be able to do business without a local forum like this one around.

If I had to pay to be a part of this forum and view the classifieds, I may very well do that. But I don’t think that the majority of registered people on the site would.

The amount of tech information on here is growing everyday and is very useful. However, as others have said before, this information is available from many other sources.

The only positive thing I can see coming out of making the forum pay only is that the mods will have less work to do.

why not put an ''Off Topic" or “Anything Goes” section?

i wont pay for this forum as im not from the SON region… i basically only come here for the classified section… and i enjoy the media section…

i find that the car chat section has too much “verbal diarehia” and i dont like reading 5 page long posts… that say absolutly nothing…

read only would work… for the most part. :slight_smile:
i would still come back and just read… but maybe leave the classified forum available to everyone, but be stricter on the rules of posting.
people should have to put their real name, price of what is being sold, and all the other essentails when selling something

First of all I voted Veilside. I have seen real kits and they are beautiful. The fakes just suck, plain and simple. Also too, Veilside has been making better looking kits lately, but that Combat stuff from the mid 90’s (that 240 kit is an example of one) is better left forgotten. The lines and theme was originally penned for the JZA-80 and it only looks good on that car IMHO.

Second thing: its spelled diarrhea. :wink:

Third thing: Keep SON mostly free, including the classifieds. What SON offers the most is the fact that its local and the members are mostly local. That means when you read about so and so’s SR install, its not some rich Californian but some kid 20 mins away on the 401 whom you can visit, see it for yourself, and chat over a cup at Timmies. If the members joining don’t see the REAL benefits of organized local enthusiasts, then they miss the forest for the trees. If Applesauce wants to be an online entity, he can be one on Zilvia, FA or some Aussie club. The Internet is borderless, so he can online whore wherever he pleases. Free access to infomation is the spirit of the internet, and that should be one of SON’s principles.

BUT

To the people who really care about this club, those who want to have input into how the club is run, in short those who wants to have a voice in its governance…they should have extra privileges. For that, a members only section for those who put their money where their mouth is (Applesauce, this does not apply to you) is the best solution. The members will also have voting privileges and veto power over the minions in the regular chat section. Two-tier this biatch!

Just my opinion, and I will definitely donate to this site to see it grow…and I don’t even read it as often as A-sauce :roll:

Wow, what I good idea, I wonder why they never though of that! :roll:

Seriously, the problem here is maturity and useless posting. I jump on spelling because it has a large influence on percieved maturity. Useless posting is something that will always happen, you’ll get people going “Wow, that’s great, I agree!” or more relavent to SON “lol i agree on wut u said.” That’s why you have moderators using thier discretion. Note that you need mods who have discretioncough

I am in favour of posting being a privelege for members only. Keep the forums able to be read by the general public of course, or you will never have any growth. Remove the post counts at first, and give it some time for people to get used to the idea of thinking before posting; evaluating whether or not their post will be a waste of 600 bytes.

That’s it to start. I know there are a lot of poeple who frequent SON but don’t post because it’s too frustrating, and the good content is lost due to the bad.