Let's Talk Seriously.

Alright, here we go:

There are a few members on this forum who are also members of ziptied: Me, Jesse, Andrew, Sasha, etc.

I’m sure, especially after the whole tyler thing, alot of people either signed up (as I saw from justin and pavel’s applications) or have visited it to lurk around.

What I seriously want to know is: Is Ziptied a good direction or a bad direction for forums like SON.

Like if you check the forum you’ll see there is ZERO bullshit. No SR questions, No KA questions, No Poser crap, No I can’t get my ac working, blah blah blah. No shocks and spring combos, No teardrops, No all season tires, etc.

Their forum is seriously all drivers (which is why I don’t post that much there, but I do read and learn).

Is this too elite, just right, or too soft?

Personally, I love how there’s no BS.

I believe there was once talk of getting SON recognized as an official motorsports club?

Like i’m not saying we need application processes. But they do have some good stuff going on in their forum that we could apply to us.

Obviously, i’m in no position to change anything. I was just curious as to people’s opinions.

Why should this forum have an application process?
It’s not ULTRA-ELITE DRIVING CLUB PUSSY NEED NOT APPLY SOUTHERN ONTARIO 240SX CLUB.

Someone with a stock car looking to just keep it running and talk to other 240 owners because they enjoy the car should be just as welcome as some amazing driftoooo battooo guy.

Ya BS gets posted, people act like asses etc… that’s what happens when you get a bunch of young males together and give them free run of the place.

Maybe I’m wrong but isn’t this supposed to be a place for people in southern ontario to get parts/help/ideas and chat about 240s?
Ziptied (i’m guessing) is for the whole drift culture thing, SON240SX is about 240SXs… I think it’d be wrong to confuse the driving/style with the car itself.

I personally have never been on Ziptie, not for any reason, and I was’nt aware they had an application process going there.

In some ways thats not a bad idea to use here for a couple of reasons.

1. We have an established club now that is rather well known, and for sure it would cut down on any tom, dick or harry joining, causing shite or pissing off members and users.

2. We have enough members that switching to this idea would not hurt the board at all.

Now on the other hand, it also would look like we are to good to let any tom, dick or harry join unless they meet certain criteria and that we are all snobs.

So what’s the lesser of two evils, not for me to answer I guess.

Good post though Jon, makes ya think.

Take care.

Easy 8)

well im a memebr there as well. all i do is lurke there but i also like the way they run things, but ziptied and son are two different kind of boards with two different visions, and despite the positives of ziptied i think theres one big thing that is a detractor which is theres no space for “new” poeple, unless youve been to like 20 drift events and have vids they theink your a poser. Hell they even banned sasha for from what i can tell no really good reason other than he posted pictures of his car that werent action shots, making hinm a poser? :? now i dont personally know him but it doesnt seem like he is poser, but thats just one example.
So while its a great board of all kinds of great info the constant flaming is something that a car club could do with less of, and i think SON has already enough and doesnt need any more

maybe i should start posting there, give them a reason to hate canadians more :stuck_out_tongue:

While I do understand where you are coming from, I think I have a bit of a different view of SON.

While you say son240sx is about 240s. I think I’d be more prone to say that son240sx is about DRIVING 240s. I’m not suggesting we completely base the entire forum about track driving and drifting alone, but I feel that the actual driving of our cars is what makes our community recognized. After all, didn’t we buy our 240s to drive them?

If we were all trailer queens, people would never have heard about us since our cars would never leave the garage. We’d never have made up stickers, or have tents at drift events.

Basically, I think recognition as an actual motorsports club would be very beneficial to us.

I didnt apply thinking i’d get in, or that if i did i’d last more than a week.

its too elitist and snobby. i dont even really know why i did. whatever.

we have a good group of ppl on here, and we can be snobby to noobs sometimes but we’re still friendly.

if we want to make son more like that i’d stop making “useless” posts as my contribution to the club but i dont see the need. we arent like that.

we have to take ourselves less seriously sometimes, more seriously for others (me). theres a balance that i dont think exists right now that we need to find.

is this ty actually learning? naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

SON240SX.ca is a local 240SX club. We are here for everyone, not only
people who know everything about cars. As much as some of you may
think that sucks, thats what the club is, and its not going to change any
time soon.

There may be a few things we can learn from forums like ziptied, with the
zero BS approach, but we can’t close ourselves off to new members like
that. If anything we could make an application process to become a
member of SON rather than letting anyone with $20 join and represent
our club.

I don’t like all the BS, but its inevitable. Any suggestions you have are
greatly appreciated though.

^^yes!.. SON is a friendly place! If youve been to the meets you would know. Its really good to be open to everyone. Having people who know alot and having people who are willing to learn create the balance that is needed on a good forum.

For the new 240 drivers always popping up, I can assure they do see SON as a place that is friendly, helpful and fun.

i disagree with the idea of limiting membership,

i can say honestly that many of the people i have come to rely on in recent years i have met through this club. i am sure this is also true of many others on here.

if we were to limit the amount of people we allow in we also limit the number of people we can turn to for advice, assistance, resources etc…

SON240SX fukkin rules… its the hottest $hit going in this province right now if you ask me… our club is so very young but we are going to have a break out summer i think.

we are fortunate enough to have wickd lines of communication, so amazing in fact that when ever guys from SON are going to be in the Niagara region they give myself or jesse or chris a call to hook up…

i do the same when i go to the KW or GTA.

if you have a 240sx in ontario you have a friend in every city…lol

SON is here to serve everyone.

If you want a place where only hardcore members are allowed then go
on Ziptied or something.

This forum is not going to be limited, its a general club. If you feel you
need something more specific then there are other forums. I myself
frequent a few forums other than SON.

I am sure there are a number of things we can do to improve SON, but
limiting our member base would be against the basic premise of this club.

I think I signed up sometimes in 2003 when I just got my car and started
to sign up to forums. Can’t even remember last time I posted or lurked
there. Didn’t hang around on it too much.

SON is great, but there’s always shit happening on here. There’s always
drama.

I mean you got the recent stab at Spilner, Bob vs. everyone (he used to
be a little laid back last year), issue with that Rotorakamki guy, lucky DFR,
shit is always happening, me taking down the forum for April 1st :noes:

Why even compare our club to someone else’? I mean, we both don’t
share the same values, or have the same mission, etc.

I dunno if they at ZT wanna act all bigshot by limiting registration, then so
be it. Why should we do that here? Or maybe we should? Maybe we
should just stop registration right now.

We got like a million registered users and like 25 of them post on a
regular basis.

I dunno…

What is the fun factor of us all getting alone like f^cking Carebears???
:?

Hooray!

My only suggestion to the Admin and Mods is keep doing what you’re doing.

In the early stages of a site like this you need to pay a lot of attention to the type of tone you set for your space. Too “loose” and the place is filled with kids and cyber gangsta’s…to “tight” and, to bing’s point, you potentially turn away a number of quality folks.

Many moons ago I was one of the early folks on TCC. I’ve been a Mod there for over 4 years now and have seen the place change very much. The problem was that there was never any thought given to the type of atmosphere the club was trying to build, and as a result the site has somewhat slipped in my opinion. It grew at a disturbing rate and is now filled with misinformed pre-teens.

I guess the point I’m trying to make is that it is good to see a chat of this nature. Keep it healthy and make sure any new comer to this site (myself included) understands that the rules are tough…but fair…and do serve the greater good.

Pointless/Stupid threads should just be flat out deleted.
Especially the ones like Pavel started earlier about spilner.
Why does that relate to 240SXs? Why does that relate to this club?
It was a pointless personal attack that no one really needed to see.

Obviously he’s not the only one, a ton of people pull that here, it was just a good recent example.
Don’t just lock them, delete them.
I’m honestly sick of seeing that kind of thing and it really does look bad. For BOTH sides.

Ive never said this before but i love u guys. Now lets all get in a big circle , hold hands , and sing kumbaya.

thanks dude, i agree.

now lets all go to the tech section and be condescnending elitists!

go ziptied!

i really dont think we need this thread.

this is NOT SON drama…

this is drama between people who happen to be on SON and are using SON or Ziptied as their outlet for the drama.

locked so that people can see why

thread will be deleted shortly.