VQ35DE External Dimensions

Going way out there on this one…

Going to be rebuilding the VERY expensive U20 in my roadster and thinking about maybe a cheaper swap instead. There are lots of swaps into these cars but haven’t heard of a VQ being done…there are VQs and VGs done in 510s but not seen these in roadsters. This could quite possibly be because of the dimensions. Wide engine + skinny car = no fit. …and I don’t want to cut more than cross members.

Anyone happen to have a VQ with manual transmission laying around in their garage? I want to take a bunch of measurements and mock up a cardboard “engine/ transmission” to test fit in the car once I have the U20 out.

Pure fantasy or possibility…time will tell.

Sounds like a fun project! That would be sweet if it works. Unfortunetly I don’t have one laying around for you to measure.

I seriously doubt it would work but I am just wondering (for now). The U20 costs a boat load of cash to rebuild so that is why I am wondering about swaps. I could go with an SR20 or KA24 swap but the U20 build I had planned will put out the same power as a stock SR (not sr20det) and I keep the original engine so I might as well keep it original or go completely nuts.

If it was me and I had the time & money Id go completely nuts :slight_smile:

Ask Ken what happend to his old VQ engine. See if the shop will sell it to you for a couple hundred

u could go with a RWD SR block and a SR20VE head ($400-$800) that would be a bad ass N/A setup. you would need to get creative with the ignition and cam switch over selenoids or they interfere with the firewall. its been done before though, on S13’s

Nah. My choices are VQ the thing or totally build the original engine. I have the 510 for an SR or KA swap sitting on the other side of the garage.

Ken, what happened to your old VQ engine?

He blew it up with all his racing. lol.

hahahahahah You dont want it lol. I dont know what they did with it when they did the swap.

If it is out of your Altima it wouldn’t work for me anyway.

yeah you need one out of a Z or a G

What would be the difference?

One is RWD and the other FWD I believe.

Dave to be honest with you, your best best for simplicity and 200 WHP with awsome power band and little complications, Try a VerY good condition Stock KA24DE with a T25 Turbo or T28 Setup @ 8 or 10 PSI. It will have the best bang for your buck, power band and wont cost too much $2000-$3500 depending on what kind of quality parts you want to bolt on.

VQ swap = Have fun getting that running…

Oh I know putting the VQ in the roadster is pretty much pure fantasy. I guess I was looking for the dimensions so I could then finally rule out the swap… I like to dream big but need a dose of reality.

I don’t want to put a KA or SR in the car. I want to either keep the car original or VERY unique. The KA and SR are right in the middle…yawn.

I guess I want to clarify, I am going to spend some bucks on this car. Either the VQ swap or building a torque monster out of the U20 will cost about the same…so it isn’t really about the cash. For example, rebuilt Mukuni 44s, manifold and linkages are $2000.

I have a couple of KAs in the garage for the 510, and Flavio, you are right, way cheap for gobs of power!

I can get the U20 built (for more money obviously) to about 180 crank HP. …or that is the theory.

Different block castings (think mounts) due to FWD and RWD applications.

You could try contacting Bigmack000 over on the Straightpipe.ca message board. We are in the middle of putting a VQ into Joel’s S13 and we still have the engine and transmission sitting on a pallet. Your looking at a lot of money though, just getting around the coded key is a huge pain in the ass. Right now it looks like the car is going to be running a stand alone just to solve the problem