VW fuel managment?

after getting rid of the boosted vr6, i was thinking about doing another one myself, but wondered what the best way to tune for boost was.

This past one had the boost EIP chip in it and some adjustable FMU which would do the happy rich/lean swing, but still ran ok… just not how i would do it.

I was wondering what is out there for vw’s to tune for boost…without getting into a billyion dollar stand-alone.

SDS system

what is it…how does it work?

www.sdsefi.com

it was what i had on my car. it is basically ur bare bones efi speed density setup. i ditched it to run the holley commander 950 setup on the race software.

can go cheaper w/ megasquirt, or im still conviced a tuneport wiring harness and a turbo gm ecu will work, as all aftermarket efi systems are basically based off gm speed density. so why no just use the gm setup. granted, will have to chop or lengthen wires in the harness, but big deal as you save a grand.

tons of other shit on the market too. some chips are not bad. it all depends on what you use. i’d still prefer a standalone over the chip though, so ur not fuckd waiting o chips and for someone to guess.

What are your goals hp wise?

I second Sailor’s comments, but if you do want to go with a chip I’d suggest C2 Motorsports. I’m not a fan of the EIP chip. I’ve never seen one of their chip setups run decent A/F. If you go with standalone it’s all up to your needs, skills, and $.

the gm harness and ecu is some hardcore stuff…i wouldn’t have the first clue were to start with that… maybe with a mkii holding a vr6?..not a 97-8 car?

There are some people that rock the megasquirt on alltrac’s, but i haven’t checked it out at all. And I’d be too scared of a chip, being stuck with one map and hope it puts the fuel…and enough fuel in the right spot.

I’d probably rock a big trim t4 front housing that what, could maybe get close to a 300 mark? I’m not trying to blow the thing up, just looking for the most bang for the buck.

x2 a local kid is running the c2 chip and he hasn’t blown up yet… so it can’t be that bad. I’d go standalone… :slight_smile:

I just helped my buddy street tune his Turbo 2.0. We got the car running really good using the SMT-6 system. its basically a piggy back system on the stock chip. You can adjust timing and fuel all from this nice little interface. Took us about 2 hours to get a nice tune in, we are going to go in and tweak it tonite. I am sure it will be another 2 hours. After seeing this, i will never deal with chip and FMU tuning again. that sucked big time.

I would still run a wideband even if running a chip, especially the first few times out with a new setup. A big T4 is way overkill for 300 whp. You gonna run stock compression, intercooled or not?

So its good for more… I’m not trying to cap 28psi on the thing, the vr6 i had was pulling like mad on 10. It would definitly be stock compression and a good front mount. Hey, if it makes more than 300, wooh hoo, if not whatever. I just know the housings and wheels well and can change them easily if need be to dial in spool, powerband, etc…

whats the money on the smt-6? If its cheap, it sounds decent for ignition and fuel tuning.

whatever you do efi wise, budget $2000 for standalone and injectors, fpr, fuel pump and rail/misc fittings if you buy new.

here is my rough estimate on build price…

85-92 chasis-- 500 bucks for a entire car not running.
corrado vr6 subframe-- who knows, good luck finding one. can use the a3 vr6 subframe, but a c hair different
used vr6 motor— 300-2500, pending which model you use and where you buy from
vr6 tranny-- used 800 range
lsd for tranny-- another 900
turbo shit-- 2000

tack in another 2000 for misc shit you wanna replace/rebuild.

I realize your being realistic with the boost, and that’s good considering you want to keep stock compression and not spend a lot of $ on standalone. If you know the T4 frames well, then that might be a good choice for you. Obviously I don’t know your level of knowledge with turbo trims, wheels, etc, so I was just cautioning you not to go too big (which a lot of people tend to do). No hate intended, just trying to help. Good luck with the project.

Thanks… I didn’t want to go standalone, but if its going to be the best, then so be it. Of course that only means way longer turn-around on the project.

I’ll still look into the smt and the sds. Thanks for the info guys.

c2 gets a thumbs up from me, my friend mike is running it as well and he just ran a 12.60…
Regardless of which setup you choose just put your fmic inside the bumper this time… :slight_smile:

ya, don’t worry. …that was some ghetto bs thur. :eek3:

jay, you used to talk shit on dubs. i can’t believe you’re thinking about building a vr6t.

DONT DO IT!
or else u get beat by many turbo hondas

Let the shit talking commence.

he knows im just watchen out for him

:slight_smile:
hopefully the vrt’s can catch ya… prob not