The idea behind tuning

So I’m thinking mainly aftermarket standalone units here but I guess
others would apply.

It’s true to make an engine run its best is to tune it.

But what exactly is tuning? Is it just knowing how to juggle all the
different variables (timing, temperature, RPM, etc. etc.)?

If so, then what makes these thousand+ dollar EMS systems unique?

Take the AEM EMS for example. It’s $3000 retail.

If one just needs to play with fuel and ignition maps, then what makes
these systems unique? Do they have the ability to choose different maps on the fly?

Great question…

And when sourcing the solution for my personal needs I had to answer it because it’s all about cost and benefit.

It’s really just like ordering off a menu.

You want just fuel control – you choose something like a SAFC = Cheapest

You want more features and more control: Emanage = More expensive

You want full standalone with more control and on-the-fly management = PowerFC = more expensive

You want complete control, MAP system, lots of bells and whistles like 2 stage etc : AEM = Most expensive

(Obviously there are others out there but it’s an example)

The only other that slots in between SAFC and eManage is a ROM tune. A good (read:best) Enthalpy tune is $500usd
As with everything, you get more for your money…but unltimately only you know how much money you have.

[Edit] I didn;t answer one of your questions… you asked is it is just fuel and timing. No

With some of hte more expensive setups you can tune to the behaviour of some of your parts. For example, every MAF our cars use produce a slightly different readout for the air that it reads. With more control you can calibrate that reading to produce optimal results

All injectors behave uniquely. They all flow and lag at different rates. With more control you can adjust these settings to improve responce and idle

Trottle tip-in can be controlled. When you stomp on the gas there is a split second when the motor gets a huge gulp of air. You can define how the motor reacts to that big gulp.

Water Temp correction can be used to alter the behaviour of your vehicle when warming up or cold.

Adjustmesnt can be made to idle speed and RPM cut

This is just off the top of my head…you get my point? You want more control…you pay more $$

Weird – double post

Oh I agree…there are several variables you can play with like the ones
you have described.

The reason why I brought this topic up is to distinguish the big-name
ECU/EMS systems vs. something like a DIY stanalone/rom tuner
(MegaSquirt, SDS, and the one I plan to get: BikiRom)

BikiRom for example, lets you tune your fuel/ignition maps, and having
several variables to play with (water temp, injector cycle, etc. etc.) you
can write funtions around it (if you are programatically inclined).
That’s why I plan to buy this. Can’t go wrong for a fairly standalone unit
for $300-$350CAD with live tuning aparently in the works (lets you
change maps on the fly).

I know very little about tuning and I plan to teach myself over the winter
as much as I can before I start tinkering. From the little I know, it seems
the most imporant item to alter is the fuel and igintion maps.

i’ve been lurking around on a few boards, and the most practical and cost effective solution in my opinion would be the bikirom.

more biki info can be found at:
http://www.bikirom.com/

well the standalone system in a sense is easier to go than chip tuning becuase there is no figuring out you just wire it up and have it tuned whether your doing it yourself or paying someone for it.

ive installed many standalone systems from sds to haltech and piggybacks like the emanage and smt6 and when in the right hands all of these can perform amazingly it just depends on the person setting it up and tuning it.

although i strongly believe in the oem ems and there is a reason why nissan or other car manufacturers spend millions of dollar on research and development so by being able to modify what they created you in essence have the most reliable ems available ofcourse its more technical.

i still stand behind this theory becuase even aftermarket ems’s can screw up from time to time EG Sasha and his blown motor situation.

this is not to say that the oem system sensors cannot fail but global settings and other things will not change.

if you need your shit tuned let me know ive made over 550whp on daily cars so i dont shit talk i just make it happen.

here is my next toy the bikirom megaboard.
http://nissaninfiniticlub.net/photopost/data/560/19501grad.jpg

chip tuning was fun but not having to burn another eeprom is even better.

^^^ :bowdown: again

What you running it on? KA or SR?

Can you re-tune an SR ecu ?

its going to be a KA-T but a properly built one if you guys want examples of my work i can post some pics.

yes i can re tune the sr but do you currently have a daughterboard if not then you’ll need to get one so we can swap eeprom’s.

Can you re-tune an SR ecu ?[/quote]

What most tuners do flash your ROM by doing what BikiRom does.
BikiRom is a little involved because it has USB ports that you can use to
interface with the ROM (read/write maps, set rev limiter, etc.)

Honestly for $300-$350cad or so you can’t go wrong. BikiRom is
$299AUD+S&H which should be under $350CAD

Tell me how the Biki Rom Is far superior to a Standalone Computer?

What shop is this you work at?

I didn’t know there was a 16 year old ECU tuner out there who will own us all?

Show me some car’s you have tuned making 285whp at 8psi…

I don’t think he said it but who is to say it can’t be made potent without
shelilng out $3000?

If people are more mechanically inclined, there’s also MegaSquirt which
has a proven record of providing awesome management capabilities.

Take your pick: Plug-N-Play for $$$ or a DIY for far less…

Show me some car’s you have tuned making 285whp at 8psi…

That statement doesn’t mean anything with out knowing the turbo size.

What shop is this you work at?

I didn’t know there was a 16 year old ECU tuner out there who will own us all?

Show me some car’s you have tuned making 285whp at 8psi…[/quote]

first off bro dont get all pissy , you should learn to listen and take advantageof whats available im more than willing to help most guys on this board get their cars running right so thats why i do.

im not 16 but im sorry you feel that way :oops: i never said it was superior but i did say it was better, its better in the sense that im not spending 2000 to 3000 bucks and im still getting the same end result which is control over my fuel and timing without injector size restriction, plus i dont have to go and rewire everything to make it work as with most ems’s ( i know aem is plug and play but that mostly for jap cars).

as for proof even if i posted dyno charts and pics of cars, who says u would believe me your answer would mostlikely be “you got no proof”

in the end if you want some proof ill send you some pics of cars and numbers but i will not display customers cars on a public forum without their consent.

now lets be cool brother no need to dirty the thread lets keep it friendly.

double post

Or Engine Size but what I was getting at is basically he is a 16 year old goof.

When His KA-t Or SR or what ever he is building excedes 300whp then he can start talkin’ smack.

exactly but also knowing the efficiency and cfm at the given rpm point

i can make you millions of cars doin 300 whp at 8 psi will it be efficient probably not as efficient as it could be.

either i dont need to proove my ball size.

keep it real

restecpa

i don’t follow. could you please elaborate why it couldn’t handle 300whp+ applications?

i don’t follow. could you please elaborate why it couldn’t handle 300whp+ applications?[/quote]

well basically he thinks im a keyboard cowboy that talks shit on the internet but doesnt know what he’s doing.

i can understand that so what he’s saying is that he’ll acknowledge me as a smart car guy and give me credit when i surpass the 300 whp mark.

we’re not saying this. we’re saying that the biki is another solution without having to spend big bucks on a standalone. in other words, it gets the job done, and depending on the tune, gets it done right.

i’ll wait for adam to comment on my previous question. personally, i don’t see why it wouldn’t be able to do it. i’m hoping adam gives me a more technical answer, leaving beef with Original Drift Master aside…

…got bread? make a sandwich. :wink: