Stand Alones... who is in the market?

Just wondering if there are many up-and-comers looking to get into real stand alone ECU’s

If so, I’m wondering what you are considering…also, give me your reasoning as to why you chose what you chose.

I’m thinking of going full stand-alone next winter.

I’ve seen what AEM can do and it’s got a good following, so it’s a definite consideration. PFC is substantially cheaper, and is nice and supposed to be pretty easy to get a decent tune out of. And Megasquirt is very affordable and offers a lot by way of customization and building in features you want to have… But it’s definitely no small task to build a tune etc, etc…

I’ve also heard about calumsult that’s supposed to be pretty bad ass, so I’m looking into that as well.

very cool thread.

can you give us your opinion on each as well?

im currently trying to decide on a standalone…

i know mad rx7 dudes run haltech

im going to be runnign power fc or an aem ems

so far im leaning towards power fc pro

i know you’re looking at an autronic dan, thought i’d link you to this if you haven’t already seen it.

http://www.efi101.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3034

I voted AEM. It won’t go in my current car most likely that will stay power FC as it does everything I need it to.

The reason I would go AEM in the future is for the additional I/O functions although I’m not to keen on the poor realtime viewing of the stats on the AEM.

Maybe its because of my lack of knowledge on the more advanced ECU’s but I don’t see the advantages for the money.

who the fuck voted megasquirt… goddamn ban-city

AEM EMS! Because Dan, Sasha, Zee, Face, and Gonad use it!

aem all the way , i just posted up my haltech, emanage, megaquirt, rebic 4, S-ITC, apexi safc2, and my hks S-AFR, on ebay just to get enough money to buy a AEM, why u may ask? plug and mutha fuckin play, why even fuck around , ive looked at and researched almost every standalone out there including ones that dan hasent listed , such as the SDS, FAST,DTa,perfect power, sorry i didnt check out the microtech, but the ease of use and installation of the aem is pure wonderfullness

whats the problem with megasquirt bing?
I ran it on my s13, will be running on the FC. Its great if you know what your doing, I’m lucky so its easy for me to use and cost me 1/4 of the price of anything else on the market which it compares too.
It has a lot of neat features too.
I didn’t vote for it, because I’ve owned it for 3 years. I don’t count.

Anyway, I vote AEM EMS because I see alot of people having good success with it.

Andrew.

bikirom ftw

Megasquirt, open source,16 bit, add on boards, MOST developers and SW options around… HW wise it outperforms PFC, E6x, lt10… use ability/adaptability wise… it slams them all… SW wise, well open source, so the skys the limit on just what you do with it. it beats out haltech for real time data aquisition…

All for less then what some of these companies charge for a WBO2 sensor

Motec would be the only system I’d look at now over the MS, but try and find someone willing to share setup tips for it… LOl or you could take the course… worth more money then a M800 with all the trimmings.

I’ve programmed haltech, microtech, SDS,electromotive and PFC, and dabbled on the AEM. I can find no reason to spend 4x 10x the price for these units over the MS, simply a waste of money for a pretty interface, shiny box or name brand.

Yeah Rob, I’ve seen that and already had some pretty indepth chats with some folks deep in the Autronic family…it’s just a hickup.

For a guy that has a drag time in his sig you’d think lauch control and WOT shifting would be of interest.

Dusty, check out the AEM Serial Guage. A simple 2" guage that monitors all 19 AEM channels and watches min/max for you.
AEM also integrates quite easily with AIM dashes

who in the gta area can actually do a good tune on stand alones? because i was thinking of getting one next year (power fc) but i wast shure if there are many shops that can do a good safe tune in toronto.

Well the starter of the thread does (Power FC), Sasha at SG Motorsport (Power FC, AEM) has tuned some good cars as well. Then there is Neetronics in Mississauga (AEM, Hondata, EcuTEK, MoTeC) tuned all kinds of cars, also had my DSM done there.

Couple semi-private referral tuners Magnus Motorsports (AEM, Haltec) and Ultimate Racing (HKS FCON VPro, e-manage)

Personally, I’m going with AEM. EMS is more common, there is great support and we’ll it found +44whp out of a bone stock RB26DETT which is unreal. Plus the interface with all of the other AEM peripherals is perfect…it just does everything.

I used to have Power FC but sold it since they discontinued it…currently running a Central20 ECU from Japan

I’ve tuned many more AEM cars than I have PowerFC / Datalogit and am actually an AEM Factory Trained Tuner (for what that is worth)

Off the top of my head, I have Hondata, Chrome, Fcon, FAST, Autronic, MAP ECU, Motec, and Haltech experience…although on a much more limited scale when compared to AEM or PFC. The interesting thing about all of these sytems is once you realize what they are trying to do, they are all very similar. I’d would have absolutely no issue getting into a car with a system I have never worked with and after a little orientation could make it work.

On a side note, I’m also just in the process of setting up a dealer relationship with Autronic and will soon be repping their gear. I’ll be running an SM4 in the U2NDyno.com S14 this season.

Edit: I guess in a week or so I can actually add Megasquirt to my list too as I’m tuning a S1DC car this weekend that runs it. Also, next week I’m tuning the GM Tuner Solstice and it is running a system that I am currently not familiar with…we’ll see what it is.

I think they un-discontinued it as far as I know?

I just received the 2008 Apexi price list and it’s still on there in great numbers. :slight_smile:

Correction, Dan (Happy240sx) is professionally trained (and very experienced after a year of doing it constantly) in tuning AEM EMS also and probably several other setups that I’m not aware of. :wink:

//edit// crap he beat me to it by about 15 seconds :wink:

I think Pat removed the megasquirt… will not be running it afaik.

Hahaha - then what am I tuning?