VW Issue

(2001 Jetta 1.8T) So lately I have noticed my check engine light has popped on. I also have noticed that when I leave in the morning for work, I will drive for awhile the car will take some time for the engine coolant temp to get up to a decent temperature. Sometimes when it does reach the middle… it will start to go back down into the cold. Is this normal? I assume it’s because it’s winter in NY now and its much colder out and the car did not operate this way in the summer.

Also… when first started in the morning, the car has a bit of a rough idle on the first few shifts, like it wants to stall.

Thermostat? Water pump? Any ideas dubbers!?

Is your check engine light going on and off? You should probably scan it to see what the issue is there first. Have the thermostat and water pump been replaced recently? It may be time to take a look at them too.

It turned on about 4 months ago then turned off. Thermo and waterpump have not been done. $$$$

maby its because your an asshole

http://images.ugoto.com/attachments/498c3d7ed86a8f3.jpg

shh nub

whats the mileage? last timing belt? chances are its the original waterpump, and they are made of a polycarbonate bonded to the steel impellar shaft. its common for them to strip. if this was summer you would probably have an issue with the car getting really hot while driving and cooling down while sitting(because the load on the waterpump is causing the impellar to stall when the shaft freespins… sounds like its time for a timingbelt/waterpump/t-stat job.

Booooooo Any ideas on the cost of this? I know some peeps can do it on here locally. Mileage is 90k

Timing belt service kit, deluxe. Includes timing belt, tensioner roller, tensioner damper with stationary idler roller, improved water pump with metal impeller, serpentine belt and thermostat. Same as kit above but also adds a serpentine belt (accessory belt) and a new thermostat. These are not critical parts but a timing belt job is an ideal time to replace them since you’ll have things apart anyway. $249.00

German Auto Parts

518-899-7807
Toll free 1-877-4GERMAN (1-877-443-7626)

or mjmautohaus. oem parts, no tax free shipping. 90k… you need to get on it.

I don’t know if you sorted this yet but these car are notorious for bad coolant temp sensors. I would swap that first.

At 90k you are on borrowed time if is the original timing belt.

Ask Nick if he would change it out for you

seems like me and Ryan are in the same boat. mines a POS too

i need to get my serpintine belt done, front o2, coolant crack pipe, leaks a lil oil (but i think thats from the crush washer not being replaced), and it has to go in for 2 recalls.

not to mention the clutch!

bret i have a timing chain right?

Yea vr6’s are timing chains

I’ll ask him, I know im on borrowed time with that belt.

The temp deal could just be the thermostat opening. My Corolla does something similar.

hmm… so walk me through what I should do, Im VW noob.

sell me your car for 1000$

Me and nick could do the work for a small fee if you buy the parts

i up the offer to 1001, brett if you wernt away you could bang this out in no time

$6K its yours.

I’ll see about getting the parts for her.