How long do you let your car warm up in the morning?

Curious to see

about 5 seconds

i am always late

my turbo probably hates me

< 30 sec. My car is a war-machine. No problems

the amount of time it takes to shift to R and turn the ass heaters on. I park in the garage and I drive an SUV that heats up within 5 minutes.

5-10 mins

my dsm ive been warming it up for like 5-6 minutes because its my first turbo car, and its a dsm so i dont want it to like “break” lol

and my cavalier i usually just let warm up until the ticking stops lol

My stepdad told me warming up your car is the worst thing evAr, fuck oil pressure. He had no technical evalutation other than “i read it in mens health, it must be true”

To add a caveat to my response, I don’t have much “warm-up time”, but I also don’t drive like an asshat when my car is cold… or ever.

It’s not like I go from a 40’ cold start to WOT out of my apt. complex. I don’t drive a domestic…

No ice on windows = 0 warm up.
2 feet of snow with ice under it = up to 10 minutes.

usually 5 minutes or so. That way the heat is cranking by the time I’m out of my neighborhood.

One time I went outside, started my car and accidentally fell asleep for another hour. Whoopsies.

I turn it on, adjust the radio, turn on the heat / ac then mash the gas.

So you needlessly contributed to global warming?!? :smiley: :wink:

the integra i just hop in and go. or start it before i scrape the windows.

the mustang on the other hand needs like 10 mins to warm up or else it falls on its face if you try and step on the gas(partially due to the fact that i have little part throttle/idle tuning done)

Mine’s already warm when I go out to start it. Block heater FTW

Well, I drive a civic. lol

I start my car and immediately pull out and head to work.

When I used to leave for work early, I would let my car roll into the street before starting it and then drive away.

I have a car that I bought new and will sell before it hits 50K miles.

It will be lucky if it gets 5 oil changes or ANY preventative maintenance. It’s certainly not getting warmed up for the sake of keeping it in good condition. Maybe for my own comfort.

I’m leaving it on for about a minute and warming it up by going slow on the road until temp meter reaches middle.

It’s a known fact that ‘warming up’ the car in stationary position does not really do the trick.

Warm it up 5-10 mins beforehand just so that the inside is warmed up. Doesn’t matter much to me otherwise, the tranny is still cold as balls and ‘notchy’ anyways. I drive 2 mins to work so that never gets up to temp

Edit: FFS Brooklyn stop posting

I have read someplace, maybe on e46fanatics, that letting your car warm up is not recommended. Something about how the engine is warm but the tranny isnt when it just sits instead of drives to get warm? kind of makes sense.

regardless, I usually start my car, eat breakfast, then leave.

I let it warm up for about 5 minutes just for the sake of the turbo, I never beat on the car right away, or at all for that matter, so I keep the amount of abuse from a cold start to a min.