walmart black friday laptop quality.

A friend of mine’s mother called me the other day. She wanted me to setup a couple laptops that she had bought the kids for Christmas. It turns out they were the Emachines laptop from Walmart for 200 bucks or whatever.

So I’ve always thought very lowly of emachines computers.

It turns out they are being made by acer now, and its a halfway decent computer (after getting all the crap off it)…

Runs windows 7 premium no problem.

160gb hard drive
amd single core cpu
160gb hard drive
dvd burner
2gb ram (I would toss the ram out and max it to 4gb)…
ati video card
15.6 widescreen display.

I had just bought my girlfriend an acer from bestbuy, it is the exact same computer as this emachines, just a different style case (hers also came with 3gb ram, not 2gb). We paid $325…

I would not hesitate at all to buy one of these emachines, if you can get one for under 300 bucks. The copy of windows that it comes with alone is 149 dollars, shit is getting pretty cheap right now.

I would avoid the netbooks running linux and windows xp, they are just too slow. The only use I can see for a netbook is if you want total portability. These emachines are much lighter than my old dell laptops, I wouldnt mind lugging one in a case every day.

Acers have been known to have weird hardware issues.

I bought an e-machine back in 1999 for college. What a piece of shit that thing was, and tech support was non existent. I wanted to pull out the old office space beat down on it. Good to know they have gotten better, I’d be curious to see how well they are holding up a year or so from now.

Yeah, I had an emachines back when they were made by gateway, fuckin trash.

I have an emachines tower right now.

After I downgraded to xp because vista was worthless, and installed a second gig of memory its still weak hardware.

The emajunk motherboards suck. plain and simple.

I never get anything that is a black friday special… There is a reason they have “great” deals, it’s because all the doorbusters are cheap products, you get what you pay for :gotme: Exspecially at Wal Mart of all places because most of their stuff is already cheap.

^Not necessarily. I can’t say this of all products (as you can obviously tell the Xziwa DVD player for $5 is some cheap China shit), but most stuff is the like TV’s that are on sale are the same you would buy any at any other time just highly discounted. It’s called a loss leader…

http://origin.arstechnica.com/journals/apple.media/thumb/250/250/GetAMac_amazing.jpg