Watch Crew: What to buy?

some of the stainless ones are wild.

i like the idea of Omegas now. I’ve been seriously looking at going back to an older speedmaster for travel / daily. i think for stuff in the $3k - $6k range they make a lot of sense and will end up doing the same as the rolex sport model stainless have.

would also consider just a regular ceramic sub but even those are way too $$$ to be wearing every day.

So a $50K watch, is that solely an investment move? I can’t imagine putting $50K on my wrist and going out with it.

I’d have to guess that even a $5K watch would be a hard play for me to use, but I guess I’d have no where to even wear it out to lol.

Yeah that’s the thing, I would have never thought they would go up that much, let alone go even higher, considering what they “retail” for. Just wondering if they will ever come back to earth. Even new grey market stainless Daytonas are over $20k. Any of those are a huge risk wearing that every day, especially with the way this world is going.

I’m looking at the zenith chronomasters with the partially open face at the moment. Looks like an awesome daily.

every sport model rolex has more than doubled in the last 5 years. I paid less than 50% what this is currently worth.

problem is, unless there is a compelling investment, what would be the point of selling it for cash?

if the current spending bill goes through in the US and then the next one they are planning for next year, and Canada keeps running mutli-hundred billion dollar deficits, which is definitely going to continue, then there is no upper limit. all conventional logic is obsolete. who really knows what happens when there is nothing left to reasonably buy but hundreds of billions of new dollars enter the system.

i suspect the reason there is no inventory of sport models anywhere is because rich people already have everything and need to start looking at each incremental asset class to put their unneeded millions in to.

Oris that I bought from some fine member on here years ago. My daily driver and as happy with it today as the day I got it.

2 Likes

stainless, white face, ceramic Daytona for $49k USD grey… futt the wuck?

2 Likes

Better buy it before the goverment bans mechanical watches and mandates all new watches are electric.

1 Like

Sent my 116515LN in for service for the first time. It was served back to me like this because they removed and would help me with the rubberB strap.

They gave me both of those rolex pouches as included and also left the factory stickers on the rear as i had asked since i never removed them from new.

1 Like

I remember when an old Canadian friend was buying/trading high end watches and thinking… Man, Who pays 4-5k for a used Rolex. :man_facepalming:

It was a probably 15 years ago, but still.

watch prices are dropping, I’ll wait a little longer until I snag a Grand Seiko GMT I’ve been wanting.

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/signs-of-bottom-emerge-for-rolex-patek-prices-after-secondhand-slide-1.1816632

Watches are the new Harley. They are super trendy right now, but in 10 years you won’t be able to give them away. Watches really don’t go bad, they have value based on craftsmanship, materials and popularity. Youngsters now don’t care about watches and like anything they will fall out of style HARD.

1 Like

I’ve been paying attention to watches more lately, not that i have the cash to blow on one right now. If it hasnt been posted here previously, anyone see the guy on youtube that does watch restorations? It’s fascinating and never thought i could watch the vids without being bored. It’s definitely a craft.

1 Like

real watches are never going away.

they are a little bit of gold, bitcoin, cash, jewellery art and more all rolled in to one.

if you buy the right ones anyways.

Oh I don’t think they are going away, just that prices will tank on them. I could have purchased a his and her oyster rolli 15 years ago for $3500, I now realized that was stupid to pass up.

Depends. Probably negatively correlated to interest rates like many asset classes.

Clearly Rolex and Patek have a strategy and can act to cut supply to keep prices up and maintain the investment status of their wares.

Only recently have you been able to go in to a boutique and actually see the real hardware in person but in the stores ive been in you still cannot buy anything even though there are pieces in the store.

1 Like

I’m totally guessing, and I can’t play in the Rolex Patel groups. I’m looking an seeing some $500-$20k watches drop 20% or more already. I think a lot of crypto’s drop ran a sell off on some of these guys. My daily seaforth is about all I use anyways, I don’t go anywhere fancy lol.

Collectible pew pews have been dipping in price a bit too.

1 Like

pews pews are better bets in the sub $3k range than watches imho. but i dont know pew pews that well. yet. also we cant get cool stuff up here.

1 Like

A bunch of Datejusts hit the market recently. AD called me for a 41 Stainless and WG Wimbledon, but I just hate the look of the roman numerals, the face just looks too crowded, so I passed on it. Waiting for a Blue stick. After that, I saw a ton of them on the Rolex trading groups on facebook, but not going for much over retail + tax.

Daytona’s and YG yachtmasters still doing good money though, but not what they were doing.

if i caught a Batman or a steel ceramic Pepsi on the oyster bracelet at msrp i’d just apologize to my wife later… or hide it from her.

1 Like