Watch Crew: What to buy?

18 hour battery life ftl.

I’m ordering a couple on the 10th.

18 hours of battery life seems fine for me I mean I charge my phone once a day and I will just charge the watch at night.

Ugly as fuck

i mentioned the Apple Watch prices half way up… looks like the speculation was right and good on Apple for making watch more of a fashion statement than just a wearable tech piece.

the fact that it has to be charged at all is a turn off for me. I wear my GMT, Sub or Speedy when i’m giving the kids a bath and i also always wear my watch at night when i sleep so a smart watch would be pretty useless unless you have two of them and can put one on the charger and one on the wrist and alternate.

i think you’re going to see a lot of people wearing the edition watches in the US and overeas. there are a lot of people just aching for more ways to spend tens of thousands of dollars on bullshit and this is a great way to do it. I also have a hard time believing that the Sony and Samsung brands, or any other consumer electronics brand could pull that pricing off… Apple continues to show how it’s different and better

I think a lot of people are missing the potential for device interaction with the watch.

Locks
Microwaves
Heat
Lights
Cars

All kinds of cool things

Stuff like this isn’t about just the product its about creating ecosystems

Ok, I’ll bite.

I think a lot of people just realize that smart watches have been here for quite some time now. As always, Android is ahead of the curve and has been making these watches for at least a few years. They have created the path and taken the criticism so that now Apple can come out and release a watch that does the same thing as the 10+ watches before it’s time. Oh and they are going to charge $10k for one? THAT is your attempt to differentiate yourself from the others?

I think we do realize the potential, at least I know I do. This is just the usual, Apple making a big deal about something that’s been around for a while because they’re throwing their hat in the game. I didn’t see anything special about Apple’s watch that the other top watches on the market don’t already do. If you know of some, please enlighten me, I’d really like to know more about it.

I have been seriously contemplating the LG watch. The more I see on it, the more I like. I really just want to see a version that seems like they really reach the plateau to build off. Seems like they might still have some work to do before I’ll grab one.

Also, which of these is not like the others…

Definitely sweet. When they demo’d opening the garage door with a live feed of the door right on the watch, that was definitely a badass WOW moment.

Why are you and others fixating on the GOLD watch that costs $10k? That isn’t the price point for the normal ones.

Most people will buy the $350 sport and with everything tech related in a year im sure the sport will be $250 or less you pay more to adopt new tech early.

I realize everyone doesn’t have long term memory but the exact statement years ago was “WHO WILL EVER BUY A $500-650 PHONE” it will fail it will never work

Comparing exact specs are irrelevant if the user experience is solid AND the ecosystem is built around the product.

You don’t see anything special because you don’t understand the app market and the vendor development connections apple has based on its size. People want integration with products that just work not having to hack together or over think things.

People were hating on mobile payments a few years ago and now by the end of the year something like 40% of US retail businesses will accept Apple pay.

I was really only fixated on the $10k watch due to the nature of this thread, since most of the watches posted in here are priced in the thousands, it seemed relevant to the discussion.

A general Apple Watch discussion should probably be in its own OT thread. I also don’t think $350 is out of line, but I don’t like the rubber bands and the price gets expensive REALLY fast on the other options.

The watch I would configure for myself runs $999. http://store.apple.com/us/buy-watch/apple-watch?product=MJ472LL/A&step=detail#

I realize Apple has to “dumb it down” for most people. That’s been their tactics all along. It’s no secret that Android is mostly for those who want to exploit the full use of their software/product and Apple is usually for those who just want to sync everything together using itunes.

I just say my main point is that this is not new technology and Apple once again is throwing it’s hat in the ring with the same color and sized hat as everyone else’s, it just happens to have an apple logo on it now.

I mentioned the 10k watch because that’s the only thing I see different from anyone else. To be honest, I think they have that there so that everyone talks about that and not how this really isn’t anything new.

I think the gold watch is a dumb idea but its limited production and people who give no fucks will buy it.

My guess is they will sell the high end ones with no issues while a bunch of people who can’t afford them will complain(including myself)

• Updated - - -

Do you have a comparison with actual features instead of hardware specs?

Those Android based ones you showed do any of them monitor heart rate and fully integrate into a whole suite of health apps?

Provide tactile feedback when using the watch for directions?

Check into starwood hotels skipping the front desk?

Do they support apple pay?

Like I said comparing the exact hardware specs is irrelevant

I’m sure this is filled with bias:

Android wear DOES seem very capable, but they don’t have mobile payments or call answering.

I have to imagine the Android Wear devices do have NFC (not positive), so the hotel features are likely possible. Just a matter of devs catching on (which has always been the differentiator with Android/iOS).

For me Aesthetics are everything for a watch and Apple didn’t deliver. The Moto 360 IMO still has the best smart watch design.

That being said, I still have no desire for a smart watch.

Hardware outside of the screen is largely irrelevant when comparing Apple mobile products to Android etc.

Apple has to support a very limited set of hardware which makes optimization much easier while Android has to support a much broader set this is why user UI responsiveness and other factors are often better on a iPhone with lesser hardware specs than similar android.

People run some hardware test and show OMGZ but the Android processor is 3% faster which is great yet apps load quicker on the iPhone and the UI is more responsive.

• Updated - - -

I agree I like the Moto 360 design better

I’m heading into a meeting so I can’t grab all the specs. All I can say is some have heart rate monitor some don’t. Android does have a payment processing program, but I’m not familiar with it, at least I know my LG G3 does.

Finally pulled the trigger on this:

That has to be a joke…

Well done. I likey. Put it on your left wrist though, Mary.

I love my Eco-Drive. I use it every night at work and gets banged around pretty good. Not even a dent or scratch on the glass.