Watering Cart Project

I got sick and tired of filling buckets and hauling them around in the cart to water trees around our property. Ive been wanting to do this for project for a couple years and since my wife decided to bring home 7 new 15ft trees a couple weeks ago the time was now.

We use buckets on each tree either with holes in the bottom to drain slowly or with water spikes to get the water into the ground better. So basically I just need a quick and easy way to fill the buckets. This is what I came up with. I made the frame from scrap metal left over from various projects. The wife scored a free barrel. I bought two wheels, a trailer coupler, and a $17 bilge pump from HF. And some PVC and black hose from Lowes. I probably have <$50 into the whole thing. I can fill a 5 gallon bucket in about 20 seconds without getting off the tractor as the switch for the pump is just under the front of the seat

Pics:

Bucket filler mode

The bucket filler also unsnaps from the PVC tee that I sectioned so you can fill something higher, or whatever.

Stores upright

All painted up.

I still need to run the wiring through some conduit, but otherwise I should be using this once the rain stops. hah.

Dan

Nice!!! Just another night in the garage for you.

More or less. Designed and fabricated 95% of it in one night. Spent a couple hours the next day wiring and painting etc.

Couple little things to tidy up and should be using it if the rain ever stops.

Dan

This is one of those things that should really be on the market if it already isn’t…

Do you have a rain collection / gutter rerouting system to fill the drum next to the garage?
I am picturing a butterfly valve and a pipe to fill the drum.

I have this little guy on the back of the shop. Its an old 250 gallon Nalgene chlorine tank my father in law got out the an old building at Ithaca College.

I can fill this cart with it and we also have a pump on it so my wife can water the garden with real pressure, or even use a sprinkler.

Dan

I should have known better.
Nicely designed. What happens if the tank is full and it rains? Do the gutters just overflow?

^^usually collection tanks have an overflow at the top, but in most instances I would guess its not an issue if its being used.

I like the little cart setup :tup:

I dont have a picture of it, but there is a gutter outlet near the top of the big tank that flows out into the yard.

Dan

• Updated - - -

found this

FYI: the big band around the middle is to hold it together. To remove it from the building it was in it had to be cut in half. I made this band strap, then used gutter sealant to keep the water in. Doesnt leak a drop.

EDIT2: and yes, i did sand it down before installing it. I just couldnt put it out back with over spray all over it.

$$$ idea for ya: I just bought a beach cart for my jetski and it was about $600. And that’s on the cheap side. Certainly the balloon tires add cost but if you could produce something similar and sell at a lower cost you might be able to really make some money.

Check out how much they cost: Atlantic Jet Sports - The Premier Personal Watercraft Jet Ski Store

I recall a buddy of mine had one of these back in the day when he was racing PWC. I had no idea they were that expensive. Thats just fn crazy.

As for making htem to sell, its not a bad idea, but I cant imagine there is a huge market for them around here.

Dan

If you made motorcycle stands I’d buy a set !

My daughter was bored saturday and wanted to drive the cub and test out the watering cart. I decided to ride along with her, just in case.

And a video of it in action. For reference, thats a 4 gallon bucket. Let me know if the vid doesnt work. I cant actually view it from work.

Dan