Way's to get more mile per gallon...

Ok so I know the basics, better oil change plugs and wires if needed, air filter change and what not. But what else.

Anyone have some good ways to get your car to get a couple more miles per gallon?

proper tire inflation

ride a huffy

or obviously dont accellerate as quickly. keeping your foot at less than 60% throttle will keep you in closed loop.

accelerate slowly, dont run your car at higher RPM’s, keep your RPM’s lower even if it means not crusing as fast as you might be used to, shift earlier etc…

In general:

Free flowing exhaust
Air Intake
HO Ignition (coil, packs, plugs)
Full tire inflation
Taller tire
Reduce weight

Pretty much the same recipe as making it faster… without GOING faster :lol:

Shift early, use overdirve gears, 40-50% throttle is plenty.

-Nick

Would something like a custom air intake really make a noticeable change in gas mileage?

because I could actually afford that

: edit: I’ve heard some stuff about K & N custom air filters increasing gas mileage…fact or crap?

-Cheater-

When I had a 99 GrandAm GT stock, it was ~16mpg average (getting on it, city, highway). After a Magnaflow catback, 2.5" piping, & a drop in K&N I got ~19mpg.

I managed to pick up 28ish mpg on an all highway trip to syracuse. cruised ~90mph the whole way.

I also had some 50 series tires on that car.

FWIW.

intake will increase MPG… and with prices like this you will probably actually see a difference in your wallet.

Put on skinny little tires to reduce drag and rolling friction! (What? It would work. :gotme:)

The best way to improve gas mileage is to drive it like a granny. Well, not best but most effective. Don’t use the A/C either. Get an underdrive pulley.

race it a lot…drive faster and ull just get places faster so that ur using gas for a lesser amount of time :wink:

okay, so lets assume that You have a 10 mile roundtrip daily commute (7 days a week). Assume You have a 15 gal tank and get 15 mpg.

You can go to commute 22 times before refilling. 3 weeks.

If You manage to bring that upto 20 mpg, then You can go 30 days before refilling. 4 weeks.

All You’re doing is delaying Your expense.

If You adjust Your routine and cut down to 8 miles per day. You can make it 5 weeks.

And so on…

It’s not that anyone is paying any less

<shrug>

Do what You can to make Yourself happier with the situation, but in the end You choose to drive - You choose to pay.

i only have a cheap cone filter adapted to the intake on my 03 svt focus and i get an additional 50 or so mile per tank. no joke! $25 at pep boys

huh??? what are you talking about. If you raise your mpg you are lowering the amount you spend on gas per weekly/monthly/yearly.

damn…I drive a lot for work and an extra 50 mpt would get me to 2 more client visits before filling up again…also bring me up to 20 mpg

which would rock.

of course your driving a focus and im driving a ranger. Do you think I would see the same results?

-Cheater-

:word:

Yeah I had K&N CAI and exhaust on the stanger, and beating the absolute piss out of it I would get between 22-24 MPG all ‘city’ driving

can’t hurt your mileage

2 barrel carb? LOL

Take the 4.11’s out or 3.73’s and stick some gears in it that are below 3.08.

Stock torque converter.

Go the speed limit on the highway, there was a reason why it was originally set to 55. Or just rearrange your schedule so that you have to drive less overall milage. That would be the easiest.

WTF???