Whiskey Tango Foxtrot ?!?!?!?!??!

Stuffed a K&N filter in my 98 Firechicken. (Yes. it’s a V-6. Scoff if you must) Noticed a LOSS in mileage. Not really sure how bad. Haven’t checked THAT out yet. Bone stock except for my stealth intake resonator fix. No ECM changes or anything. And face it. A filter won’t give you that much more juice. At least nothing you can feel by the seat of your pants. The 1 to 2 HP increase ain’t worth the trade off. The milage loss is REAL. at LEAST 2-3 MPG highway. Will know how bad in a few days. Anyhow, talked to a buddy who installed one on his 05 Ram. Damn if HE didn’t notice a loss of milage too. Likewise, bone stock except for the K&N and flowmaster. Has anyone else noticed a similar deal on OBD II vehicles? I’ve run K&N’s for damn near 20 years. BUT always on a carb. Not fuel injection. Is this something unusual? Or just some stupid shit? HELP? Or should I just get a Hypertech and fix it? Maybe I should just stuff a cam in the 400 small block swap it in and be done with it.

how do you know you lost power?

He lost mpg, not power.

I don’t know if the 98’s have the DIC - how are you checking mpg? Filling tank the same amount each time and recording miles? How may tanks of gas have you gone through so far?

And I wouldn’t waste money on a Hypertech for any type of tuning. It’s handy for changing gear ratios, tire size, etc, but not for its tuning.

best way to record mpg is to top off the tank, set the trip mileage to 0, run as much as you want, and top off the tank again. Then divide miles/gallons. You will get a different number every time unless you are extremely consistant in your driving and always in the same conditions… I wouldn’t get too concerned until you have done this several times before and after a mod.

I think the reason most people lose mpg after any mod they add is because they think their car is faster and have a heavier foot messin around with it…

Is this a “drop-in” or cone style filter? I know on a lot of nissans the added turbulance from the cone filters mess with the MAF sensors. A lot of people stay away in our world. I never had a problem with MAP cars though.

the loss in MPG is because your car is now making 126 more HP because of the k&n. Add a vtec sticker on the back window and you will gain 10 more hp but lose another MPG or 2 in town, not on the highway though ( those crazy vtec stickers are like that)

good luck

why does your name say Z28 when you’re running a SlowCamaro special?

hey

hey! (bandwagon)

lol @ turds

more air going into the engine means more fuel will go into the engine also, which means MPG loss

wow, almost 3 days and nobody posted to LS1 swap.

is the flu going around?

your vtech solenoid isnt working thats why you lost the mpg

holy shit someone got it right

actually, more horsepower means more efficient. You wont always sacrifice MPG to gain horsepower. If you are allowing the engine to breath easier it should actually help your gas mileage. I can still pull 26-28 mpg on the highway in my camaro with full bolt-ons.

“breathing easier” works 2 ways. intake and exhaust. i’ll agree that freeing up the exhaust can’t do anything but help gas mileage but adding more air will always result in a requirement for more fuel to achieve the same afr, which the pcm will do unknowingly

who knows, it could be something as left field as oil from the K&N getting onto the MAF hotwire, that’s been known to happen too.

good thing you mentioned something. LS1 SWAP!! GAIN 15 MPG!!!

sliver ls1 got the same mpg (28) going to the lsx shootout with a torquer cam and 4.56 gears.

and to the OP, your driving style and where you drove to most likely is what changed your mileage. Unless you drove to the exact same places, in the same exact weather, with the same amount of acceleration.

fuel mileage. love arguing this.

keep clear of people merging/turning and stop / go traffic and steady control of fuel pedal. solves it.

cheapest money saver is the driver. not a product.

xbillion

fuck off. my Tornado gas saver gave me a ton more power and better gas mileage.