Weird Idle (What's new?)

K so… I know the typical rundown for this situation - timing, IACV, idle adjustment screw etc etc, I’ve tried it all for the last 3 days, checking everything 200 times.

I did a KA - KA swap recently and have had a high, though still very strong idle (1.5 -2k). I’ve tried all the different timing checks, IACV cleaning and adjustment, vacuum leaks, etc. All sealed. I’ve also read that the TPS might be the problem, but most people get a LOWER idle when they disconnect it, I get a rapidly escalating one.

Not to mention, these are all PREVIOUSLY WORKING parts off my other KA (reason for swap was rod knock, and it was the engine w/o intake parts etc). I gasketed everything up nice and everything is tight… Still can’t figure out the issue.

Also, when I rev it, it revs, goes down to about 1.5, back up to 2, down to 1.5 and then settles at 1.8 - 2k rpm again.

I’ve searched all over the internet but noone has the same shit as I do…

Vacuum leak for sure. Intake manifold gasket, or a vac line is off.

Well as I said I had found all the vaccum lines and fixed the leaking ones, but I still have the same problem, and gasket is fine.

Timing adjustments fix the idle, but not much (as expected).

if the idle didnt fluctuate, id say it was just a throttle positioning issue (idle setting). Take some carb cleaner and spray it around the intake manifold gasket. If the idle changes, theres your problem.

The idle doesn’t fluctuate at all. The idle is steady and strong. It’s after a SLIGHT rev (a big rev to about 3k yields no fluctuation) that it does the 2k - 1.5k twice thing.

Update: Seems to be that a vacuum hose that WASN’T creating a vacuum (no suction whatsoever) needed to be plugged. My guess is the one I was plugging routed to the other one when I plugged it and therefore created the same problem with no change in idle to signify something happening.

The idle is still high though, around 900 - 1k, which I’m going to guess is a timing issue (adjusting idle screw again did nothing).

Josh, did you use a timing light, or did the TDC method?

TDC, the timing light was worthless. I can get it spot on, I’m just a tooth over I think now, cause the idle sits at 900 - 1k almost at the end of the adjustment bracket to the right, which I think means I need to move it a tooth over to the left. If I reset my timing again like that, and it gives me a nice idle, I’ll have solved the issue… If not, I’m sure I can deal with 900 until I find out why it’s still a bit high.

dude- it could also be that the throttle cable is to tight - i know you can adjust that.

p.s. told ya about the vac line :wink:

rent a smoke machine…trust!!!