Weird Problem

ok, so on the way home from nopi i started hearing this weird rattling sound coming from my engine… at first it sounded like i was driving over a bunch of rocks or if you took a penny and threw it in a fan and it just rattles around…

i pull over and pull off the turbo intake and shake the compressor wheel… it spins freely and has NO shaft play so my theory of something coming in the intake tract was wrong… so im thinking maybe the EGT probe broke off… which would be odd seeing as my car has never seen over 1400 so i go inside and check and its still reading just fine… which i would think means that the sensor tip didnt break off (it looked fine 2 days ago when i saw the tip)

so i pullled the spark plugs and they look fine… so is start the car up and the sound is gone… car sounds like its running ok and i leave… so i hit a pot hole just gently and the sound comes back for about 10 seconds then is gone again… and it happened once more at the tolls…

the car seemed to be boosting fine, i didnt push it on the way home but i did get it to about 10psi just to see if it woudl still build boost

im gonna take the turbo/manifold/dp off tommorow as i was planning to anyways and ill look for any damage, but i just checked the turbo again outside and it still spins great and doesnt seem to have any play in it what soever

anybody have any ideas about what else it could be?

yes…

http://www.nyspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15476

my shit had a sound JUST like you describe, and my belt was too tight and causing tension on the PS pulley, and i also noticed i was missing one of three bolts that hold on the water pump pulley. yikes, couldda been doubly bad for me.