welder/welding question?

I’m getting ready to do some welding on my enginebay (filling in all the holes), and I wondered if a cheapy sears or cambell hausfeild welder would do the job.

I doubt I’ll ever use the welder for anything heavy at home, so I’m thinking this might be the way to go.

any thoughts?

:confused:

borrow mine:D

i’d hate to just borrow something like that, but perhaps I could throw some cash your ways?

only hundreds:D :wink:

just fill the tank when ur done!!!:slight_smile:

2fn might be able to help and he livies in the area

I wouldn’t get a cheap welder. I would probably look for a hobart handler 175. They can be had online for around 590 and all you would need is a tank and safety gear on top of that.

Hobart also has a 135 amp 110v welder but it is small for anything structural and would only be good for body work and the lightest of fabrication. The 175 would have enough power for pretty much anything you would ever want to do to a car and can do some heavier welding also but the duty cycle will probably make that a pain in the butt.

Just A tip When you are welding up a hole if possible, Get a peice of brass and put behind the hole you are welding, The brass will absorb the heat and not warp the metal and the weld will not stick to the brass. The brass piece will get hot quick, so have something there to cool it down. This should save on body work and minimze warping> LESS BONDO WORK.

Originally posted by oneslowbowtie
Just A tip When you are welding up a hole if possible, Get a peice of brass and put behind the hole you are welding, The brass will absorb the heat and not warp the metal and the weld will not stick to the brass. The brass piece will get hot quick, so have something there to cool it down. This should save on body work and minimze warping> LESS BONDO WORK.
:cool:

Originally posted by slowcamaro
2fn might be able to help and he livies in the area

get ahold of oneslowbowtie!!! he knows his shiiott

welding is a peice of cake i even did it blindfolded once
dont be skered

Originally posted by oneslowbowtie

good call.

:bigok: