Welding Jobs?

Hey guys, just wondering if any of you know of any that would be willing to hire someone who wants to start a new trade? I was looking into welding and was hoping someone would know of any shop willing to hire someone extremely motivated and willing to learn a new trade?

go sign up with Local 488 pipefitters union or Ironworkers union 720 or boilermakers union 146. Starting rate is 18 dollars across the board and is a 3 year apprenticeship. Journeyman rate when done is currently 37.60 per hour. Time and a half fridays and doubletime saturday and sunday.

Seems high for in the city, you sure that’s not the B-pressure starting rate?

Are those places in a central area, or do you get moved around quiet a bit?

nope its normal…unions pay more,

I am also in 488 pipelining right now…hope to become a welder out here and make the big bucks

if you get in a shop you are centralized more…start at less probably make 18 hour first year but can easilly get raises if you are a good worker. Pipelining pays more for a helper but you work out of town and don’t work steady.

I work in a mod yard and im good for 7 years. You go up north a bit but you can live in camp or take living out allowances. Things are good right now. Ive been in the union for 12 year and i dont plan on going anywhere. :smiley:

whats your trade sorry i dunno if you stated it?

Any thoughts on CBI? not a welder, ima mechanic, but my best buddy works for them.

yea, i was hoping to become a welder, but stay in edmonton for now, or if the money is right, maybe go up north.

There is a place in Edmonton called Advance Engineered Products. It is a company building aluminum tank trailers, so aluminum would be mainly what you are working with, but they probably do some steel tanks there too. I work for the Regina branch as a Welder. Got hired on straight out of high school and started out at $20.53 an hour. I would imagine that it would probably start a little better there though just because of the way your economy is, and with the fact that they would have to remain competative and keep their welders. By the end of your first year, you will be making atleast $25 an hour. Check it out.

I work for Advance here in Edmonton, and while i doubt they’ll give you 20/hr with no experience it won’t take long to get up there…and i believe they’re hiring…oh and depending on what department you work in, you may or may not be working on aluminum tanks.

I’m just going to assume that the departments in Edmonton are the same as they are in Regina for the most part. I am working in rail (barrel construction) and I started out at $20.53 straight out of highschool, with just high school welding (no tech school) and no experience with aluminum. My buddy was the exact same way, mind you, we were both really good welders but still…

If you can weld, and you are a quick learner go ahead and apply. You will be tested before you are hired, so the worst that can happen is you dont get a job,or dont make it through probation.

Im a steamfitter. Lot of hooey in the news lately about the large construction jobs. Still tones of work for all trades. Im an app. welder too and there is no end to the work. No matter where you go or get started welder is one of those trades that wont let you down.