I'm in need of NYSpeed's help once again...

You guys helped me a shitload back dealing with school/money/car issues.
Soooo maybe I’ll bug you all for some help once again :slight_smile:

Problem, WTF do I do! ;D

Currently, I’m on unemployment… getting a wondering 165/week.

I’m a welder by trade, problem is… I don’t have enough years experience to get any of the very, very few jobs on the market. When a job that is entry level or such does open up, one of the 500 unemployed welders in buffalo jumps right on it, with their 30 years experience in the field… and I’m pushed out.
Lots of big businesses laying off weldings and assembly workers in the area… (most recently that i can think of is derrick in cheek, with around 300 people)

Right now, I’ve applied… tons of places, retail places included.
Been to interviews, etc…

Valvoline [Instant Oil Change] had me go take a drug test yesterday, I’m not sure if it’s FT/PT or how much an hour it is… But the manager that interviewed me suspected somewhere around minimum-8/hr.

Autozone called me late last night, offering me a PT position, paying 8/hr.
I asked approx how many hours that would be (some PT get like 16 hours, others get 32 all the time)… He said it’s about 25-30/week. When I was at the interview, he also said they’re looking for someone that has open availability mostly, to fill in gaps whenever they need it.

I had my phone interview with Geico yesterday, it went… okay.
That position is avail March 23rd, w/ ~15/hr. (330pm-midnight) If I even get it.

I have orientation with the Steamfitters/Pipefitters on 4/3. Just orientation, doesn’t mean I have any position there or not… I still have to take their WorkKeys testing, then have an interview with them if I do good on the testing.

So.
How do I go about doing this?
Is it even worth picking up a job at 8/hr? It would be approx 320 gross at FT… 240 after 25% tax (I usually am around 28% taxed).
But I would get benefits, which… are very helpful. I still have health insurance from my father, but not sure how long that will last.

I wouldn’t mind working one morning and one nights (Autozone/VIOC), if I can get them to have a schedule that works together…
Preferrably Autozone before 230 or so, so that way if I get the position at Geico, I can keep working at Autozone… So I can work on the parts counter part of the ASE Certification.

But then again, I’ll just up and quit everything if I’m accepted to be a Steamfitter, since that’s what I mainly want to do. (Or Boilermaker or Sheetmetal worker, but those I’m leaving to apply for right after I post this)

I guess my main question is, is it even worth picking up a PT or FT job at 8/hr, while making 165/week on unemployment?
I’m also going to head down to the Unemployment office on transit to figure out if I can still claim partial benefits if I work PT.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Or should I just go jump off a bridge?

Well, don’t jump off a bridge. If I were you I would hold out for a better paying job than $8/hr.

I don’t have any advice but I will say this:

based on your post you seem like a bright kid, and I hope all works out well for you.

If you wan’t I MIGHT be able to get you a job making $11.50 in a warehouse fulltime if you are desperate.

Lasertron always has hiring signs out and I’m pretty sure the last time I went by there it was better than $8/hr.

But, bottom line even with an $8/hr job, $240 a week > $165. Looks like even more when you look at it in terms of a month.

$1040 > $715. An extra $325 a month certainly would help pay the bills.

http://nyspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60914

I stopped by my old company a week or so ago and they had their help wanted sign up. Probably a full time job, possibly welding or building panels or something. Audubon Machinery in North Tonawanda. 564-5165. Call and ask if they’re hiring and what the job is.

So you are making 165/week doing nothing and you are asking if its worth taking a 320/week job doing work and actually had to make a thread about it?

Simple math says you work for 8/hour and even after taxes you are making $100 more a week so stop sucking off the state and my tax money and take any job you can get.

Would be nice if you could, but I’m not desperate at the moment =)
Only… half desperate :X
Thanks for reminding me, need to apply over at American sales company.

No bridges around me anyway, so I’m safe in that respect :]

Thanks <3

I’ll check them out, thanks.
Yeah, but that’s provided I get 40 hours a week. Since both offers at the moment are probably PT, I’d have to work both with a schedule that suits them both. If I can get that, then I would say it’s definitely worth it.

Just called, spoke with Kristin… or Cristin… or however on earth you spell that name. She said they’re accepting applications at the moment, but don’t have any positions open. Thanks though <3
Will send one over there after I get back from picking up apps from boilermaker/steamfitters.

More hours I work, is less hours I am at schooling practicing welding so I can get better than others. My old school lets me practice all I want for free. So If I’m working a PT job @ 30 hours/week making… well that would be about the same as I make now… I would be losing hours to be able to go and practice, so when a decent welding job does open up thats 17-18/hr and has a rough Xray spec test, I’ll be totally fucked since I won’t have practiced in ages.

you’re also making the assumption that the job is FT.
If it’s PT I’ll make the same as I am now. As I said above.

and if I recall correctly it’s paid into unemployment insurance on paychecks, not taxes.
but I don’t know much about that so I’m not even going to go there.

Yeah, derrick isn’t going to be hiring any welders any time soon. Are you currently going to school? Or are you just practicing on your own time?

What is your current education level and age? Perhaps you can go back to school in this down time. I assume you still live at home.

I would not leave unemployment for a PT job making roughly the same amount. That’s absurd.

I would remain on unemployment and keep doing what you’re doing. Keep pushing for interviews. Definitely go on that orientation. Show up early, dress nice, stand out. Your clearly intelligent and focused. Keep at it.

Lastly, holy crap my equivalent weekly car payment is almost double what you’re getting weekly on UE.

Hass, im in actually in the same boat except i make 241 a week but i go to school full time and i dont have enought time to work 40 hours a week at a 8 dollar an hour job… honestly i just look at it like im screwed till im done with school. It takes me almsot three weeks just to pay my truck payment and car insurance and the rest of the money goes towards gas and the one day a week i go out.

what my plan was but its kind of hard is to find a part time job that i can work one day a week for 12 hours or more, and then still have unemployment 75% and have a job so im not to bored. But i really dont see me finding a job for one day a week that long.

I would not try to claim a PT job while on unemployment.

My wife tried that once. She was offered a teaching job for one day a week.
She made sure to inform the state etc…

A year later, the state was nice enough to bill her and we had to repay all her
unemployment. So… Thanks for the interest free loan NY… :frowning:

Newman, i finished schooling a while back. For gmaw/gtaw/fcaw welding and im 22. They let past students practice as much as theyd like though.

A lot of my problem is that im just bored to death sitting at home playing WoW or EVE all day. And i feel useless lol.

Sorry if its hard to read… Posted from phone

Newman, i finished schooling a while back. For gmaw/gtaw/fcaw welding and im 22. They let past students practice as much as theyd like though.

A lot of my problem is that im just bored to death sitting at home playing WoW or EVE all day. And i feel useless lol.

Sorry if its hard to read… Posted from phone

Aren’t there additional certifications you can obtain?

I need some quarters welded on ( i just dont have the time) side work?

adesa was hiring drivers not too long ago as part time if you need filler work. also you could give goodwill a call they have an employment agency that helps people find jobs pt or ft. my dad works there and seems like he has pretty good luck fining jobs for people. just a thought if you need somethin.

Times are tough out there. If I were you I’d just get my foot in the door somewhere and make some $ until something better comes along.