Went out for 4 Wheels, Pushrods and a roll bar

Nailed it:

This boat is an absolute mess. It’s a 2011 that has been SEVERELY neglected. The story I got was that it was left in a parking lot with the plugs in it and it filled up with rain water. Effectively sinking the boat.

It’s got a 5.7L Chevy motor (Indmar branded) with MEFI 5b, and a V-Drive transmission

The goal, Full Restoration. Commence pictures of the mess:

Someone busted out the windsheild, i had already removed it when I took this. Also stripped the stereo and most of the interior out by then:

V8 Goodness amidst troubleshooting wiring and ECM issues

Starting to get stripped and cleaned up

under this plastic floor is a ballast tank. It fills with water to weight the boat down for wakeboarding. It’ll be getting replaced with a bag that has 5x the capacity.

Glass vaccummed up and interior stripped

photobucket has stopped cooperating, will post more later of the exterior … it’s scratched to shit, which you can’t really tell in the first pictrures, o there’s much to be done there too. oh and all of the interior vinyl is trashed, I’ll post those pics too

Hows the engine and wiring? I guess the rest is just some good old fashion spit shining.

Hoping you got it for a song! Gonna be rad when done.

Wiring isn’t half-bad. I’ve had to clean up a bunch of corrosion, but these boats are a lot simpler than even a car, so it’s manageable to get it cleaned up. Still a lot of unknowns, but I think it runs…

Spit shine is understatement ha. There are some significant costs. The interior is going to end up costing $3k alone, and that’s with me taking apart and re-installing all of the vinyl skins myself, just paying for the skins to be sewed up. Some of the scratches in the hull are through the gelcoat, which may require professional repair. That job will also be in the thousands more than likely. I’ll attempt a DIY gelcoat repair, but I’m not sure how well it will come out.

It’s definitely going to be rad!

nice score. i could never own boat myself but love that other guys buy them and keep them nice :slight_smile:

Seriously Neglected boats are a giant headache. I hope you paid next to nothing for it.

Actually, I disagree when it comes to newer boats. This boat has ZERO wood in it, so I’m not dealing with any rotten floors/stringers or anything. It has next-to zero carpeting, so that’s not much of a problem. The wiring is simple. There are only 2 major electrical components on the boat, the Engine ECM and the guages. The rest of it is rocker switches and breakers.

Nonetheless, the price of the boat accurately reflects the condition.

Should I move this to the Builds forum?

• Updated - - -

I think most people (myself included pre-watercraft ownership) have no idea how much these things cost originally. What was the sticker on this thing?

That has a 5.7L in it???

yeah I’m cool with moving it.

The original owner probably paid around $55k for it. Today the current model would run you around $75k.

Considering the condition I hope you got it for a song. Some sweat equity and elbow grease should provide plenty of use, and profit when you move on.

If you want, PM what you got it for… just so I can be jealous. I’m really curious for no good reason.

yessir http://www.indmar.com/mobile/engines/axis/Axis-5.7L-AR335-mobile.aspxf
Its purpose is to get on plane with as much water weight as possible in the boat. So with a super aggresive prop, I should be able to put around 5k pounds of water in the ballast system and still get on plane with 6-8 people in the boat.

The trade-off there is that my top speed with zero weight and people will probably be the mid-upper 30 mph range.

Don’t you already have a really nice wakeboarding boat? Just doing this for a project or hoping to restore and sell for a profit?

yeah i have a 2013 A20, which is the 20 foot version of this same boat. This one is a 22 footer. Undecided on what I’m going to do with it. Might keep it and sell the 20 footer or might try and flip this. I’m going to wait a bit to make a decision on that.

Composite transom?

Ahhh. I just see a 22’ boat with a 5.7L and think it must be a riot.

i realize it probably has a foam cored hull, but redoing all the interior well enough to make it look good, plus fixing the hull (probably the least of your issues) then dealing with an engine and v drive that were likely under water (and possibly no good) much less winterized properly sounds like a huge gamble bc none of it is cheap. I hope it works out though

The transom is fiberglassed the same as the rest of the hull, but since it’s an inboard it doesn’t really matter. None of the running gear hangs off the transom.

Update for the curious. Boat runs great. Engine was good after several flushes. Trans and V-Drive were shot. Many little bugs were worked out. Full interior was done. Many hours of elbow grease on the exterior.

10/10, would do it all over again. Decided to keep it and sell the 20 foot boat.

Some pictures I took along the way:

Looks nice, too bad the before pictures don’t work (stupid photobucket).

Refresher on the before pictures (since photobucket has fucked us):