1959 wood boat restoration

*I realize this site is about cars…but thought some may find some interest in my latest project.

Got my hands on a 1959 hand built, 14’ wood boat the other day! It belonged to my boss and had been in barn storage the past few years where a leaky roof filled the boat and caused some damage. Upon seeing the amount of work needed to make it water-worthy…he offered it up to me since he has lost interest. and knew of my love for classic wood boats. He followed along on the '55 Chevy build, so he felt comfortable handing it over to me:)

Here’s the last good picture of it in the water from a few years ago…

The barn where it was stored.

In it’s new winter home.

The gorgeous Art Deco era inspired 55 HP Mercury outboard. Apparently this boat was capable of about 30mph and could pull skiers quite well.

Interior shot…before cleaning. The seat cushions were destroyed and thrown in the trash before I picked her up.

After a little cleanup, with the front seat bottom removed and the rear seat folded up. It’s pretty cool to see how this was constructed once I start removing bits and pieces, amazing that it was built by hand.

And getting started with scraping the paint away…this was maybe 1.5 hours or so of putzing around.

Currently, my plans for the project look like this:

*Read up on as much literature as I can and learn, learn, learn about the right way to fix these things up.
*Remove bad paint on hull, prep, repaint in possibly a gloss black or navy blue finish to really set off the woodwork on top.
*Possibly a new wood top (depending on the condition of it once I start cleaning it up).
*Find a nice wood steering wheel.
*Rip out the front wood seat and replace with swiveling captain chairs.
*Upholster a new rear bench seat.
*Possibly chop the windshield down a few inches.
*Stereo
*Remove paint from all stainless trimware and polish that up.

End goal is to have a comfy little 4 person cruiser to putt around with on calm days. I’ve never been involved in a project like this, so I have a lot to learn…but I’m excited to revive this beauty and hit the water come spring!

Looks awesome man. My father has a 1949 fishermans wharf boat built right in North Tonawanda. It has also been sitting for a bunch of years and needs to have a few things done to it, but we just don’t have the time anymore, sure wish we did though because it would look amazing finished

I LOVE this project.

subscribed!

Cool project! I’d love something like that, with a car or truck from the same era to tow it with.

That’s awesome, have fun :slight_smile: Can’t wait for updates.

Or a Jetta with white walls, rusted hood, and retro luggage strapped on top.
:picard:

Nice!! My father has a 1954 Swietzer mahogany plank boat that is fully restored. My grandfather ordered it brand new in '54. It was one of only like 2 made that year.

Check out this site!

That motor if operational, is worth some $$$

EDIT: Who made it???

That would look awesome fully restored being towed by your '55. Talk about a blast from the past!!

Love it.

in for results. (you havent let me down thus far)

you dont post here much do you?

Very cool man :tup:

Thanks for that link, awesome that that’s going on right in our backyard! I’ll definitely join that site:tup: The motor ran as of a few years ago. I haven’t touched it other than opening the cover up for a quick visual, and pulling a plug to make sure it was drained of oil. Apparently oil in there can wreaked havoc on seals during cold weather. I plan to pull the engine off and set it up on a stand and not touch it anytime soon.

The boat was hand built by the father of a lady I work with. I don’t know his name, but know that is was based off of drawings from Popular Science Magazine. He used it up until about 25 years ago…then it went into 10 years of storage…then 8 years under the ownership of my boss who had to refinish it, then the past 2 years in the barn.

Eventually this boat will end up in northern Minnesota at my parents cabin where it can be reunited with the '55 Chevy:) I’d really like to get a few years out of this and then hand it off to them…and then build another one for myself, something a little larger that could handle rougher water conditions and more people.

Got a few hours in tonight…I can’t get over how relaxing this is, and how nice it is to not have grease and grime all over my body, not to mention a sore back.

The tools.

Removing the bumper.

I’m always amazed at the contours wood makes…so hot.

Shit…we got some rot to deal with:(

Note the form of the trim piece on the ground…

…and done for the night.

ughh, i want a project like this. i love old boats.

lake george pics from a vacation i took.

Consider me subscribed, I love classic boats.

impressive progress… you just dove right in…

keep it up.

Great project. :tup:

This thing is going to be so pretty when you’re done with it. Nice find.

this project rocks

I really like old wood boats. Too bad there aren’t many around anymore…Most people don’t want to deal with the maintenance. :tup: to a cool project.

Mike is one of the more hands-on guys on this site.

You going to do a render or a sketch that you would build to?

Turbociv, that boat you posted up is beyond rediculous…got any more pics? Actually, anyone that runs across some unique looking craft please post up, I’m looking for as much reference material as I can!

I’ve already gotten sketchy :slight_smile: …but want to digest this thing a little bit more before I get too committed to an idea. In time my friend:tup:

+1