1959 wood boat restoration

That site I posted has a ton of pics. I can get some of my father’s boat too.

There is actually a classic boat workshop every tuesday night down in a warehouse by the small boat harbor. This area has a massive following.

They even have a boat show in the beginning of september at the buffalo launch club on GI. This year the whole club was full.

Once you get it restored, you should put it in the show.

subscribed :tup: wish I had something like this to work on besides restoring my wheels over winter

I have always loved old boats, and old school styling. They just dont build anything with such beauty anymore. Look forward to seeing the project when its done.

Great info! My goal is to have it ready before spring time so I can hit up some classic boat shows, and the one you’ve listed is definitely on my radar.

Had a friend come over with some home brew to slow me down a bit…Bourbon Barrel Porter with Oak wood chips, seemed fitting right? I can’t begin to explain how amazing this beer is. Anyway, the boat is getting pretty close to being naked at this point:) Obviously this is the easy monkey work…but it yields some gratification through quick results of progress.

Nice progress, great beer

who sv? :tup:

Cool project, my uncle restores wood boats for a living and it always amazed me the craftsmanship involved.

The roommate owns that beauty.

So, after a long weekend in New Orleans for Halloween I’m recovered and back at it:) I wanted to get the bow top removed ASAP as the boat will be getting flipped onto a stand that will allow me to finish off the underside. In time I’ll figure out what kind of wood, pattern, and overall look I’m going for…but for now I’m gonna hold off on those thoughts.

First was pricking out all the putty from the many, many buried screws.

After 50 years of service…she’s coming up!

The rot…

This is half of the top, and will be used as a template for the new wood top that will eventually be made.

And…naked.

jeez… i admire the fact that you just dug right in… i wouldnt know where to begin.

Wow. GREAT project.

Good luck Mike…:tup:

Over 50 years old and she still looks sexy with her top off. I can’t wait to see what finish you decide on.

I’m either a genius…or incredibly stupid for even trying this out, but I’m stubborn and didn’t want to wait for 5 friends to show up…so I took it upon myself to do the deed of flipping the boat.

First item to take care of was getting lumber for the stands I need to build. I really need a truck…

Then came removing the engine. Never thought I’d use the picker to do something like this. Here’s the stand to ease with moving it around as well.

Now, onto flipping the boat…thanks to the picker, beams, and some clever use of ratchet straps, it was a fairly straightforward affair.

…and DONE.

Next steps will be to strip the bottom and get started with the prep work to refinish/repaint it. I am leaning towards a few layers of fiberglass…but still have to do some research on the best means of doing this. Either way, I’m think a gloss black or dark navy…but this isn’t set in stone yet.

impressive… :tup:

Oh, and to clarify…I have no idea what I’m doing 95% of the time on any of the projects I’ve taken on. The the most rewarding aspect I think is learning about something new, and then the relief of finishing and enjoying the labor. Have to start somewhere and just go in with the attitude that it’s just a bunch of nuts and bolts…and wood in this case:)

I like it… cant wait to see the finished product… and more importantly, the finished product 5 years later :slight_smile:

Took advantage of a 4 day holiday weekend and ended up getting all the stripping, scraping, and sanding done on the hull.

Once the hand tools reached the point of being worthless, I moved onto 40 grit DA duty.

This is what I look like when working…

And…after 12 hours, it’s done.

Next steps have already begun. I’ve tracked down a local source for the most perfect ribbon cut mahogany veneer:) My next update will cover this and the application of it over the hull…but will probably be a few weeks as it will undoubtedly be a tedious process.

:tup:

Looks amazing :tup:

very cool… i say keep it as is :gay2:

cant wait to see it done :tup:

my uncle had a 1957 aluminum arkansas traveler with a similar ancient mercury outboard and the thing started every time first pull of the starter cord, ran pretty good too. Nice project, looks like alot of work, cant wait to see updates