Went out for a beginner bike...

…Came back with:

http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz170/hortanica/2001%20ZX9R/2012-08-27_00-43-36_610.jpg
http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz170/hortanica/2001%20ZX9R/2012-08-27_00-43-53_194.jpg

An '01 ZX9R.

its beat, and has a lot of miles (29k) but its in mechanically good shape. The guy ordered new fairings with windshield for it when we traded cars, so im getting all new stuff. Im putting new tires, and doing brakes on it this week, and then doing a valve adjustment this winter.

Bike came with new clutch cable, Muzzy bolt on exhaust, jet kit (not sure on size…hes looking for receipts) and a few other things. Again it needs some work but…ive got all winter to do it.

I got this bike with never even sitting on one before, or trying to drive one. ive only put 20 miles on it so far, but its awesome. not gonna say its better than a fast car, but im glad i got it!

I guess my only other question is…where do you guys take bikes to get work done to them? i dont feel like buying new tools right now and paying someone to do this seems safer. In a car if something breaks its way less likely to kill me then on a bike, so id rather have someone do it right now.

Voz cycle city on niagara falls blvd in Wheatfield

Please be careful. A 9 is a hell of a beginner bike.

100cc short… fail.

Any bike is a beginner bike if you just ride normal, no one has to make you go like a nutcase

To be honest, if you have a head on your shoulders and take it easy you can learn on a liter. Just remain cognizant of your surroundings and take it easy on the throttle.

My cousin learned on a moded cbr1000. I feared for his life and he proved me wrong. I still would never do it but that’s just me. Good luck with the bike and safe riding.

Is this Brian’s bike?

Thanks guys, i know it might not be seen as much of a beginner bike, but it was offered in a trade. The original bike i was gonna trade for was an 04 cbr 600, but he got rid of it before we could make the trade, and he had this one too.

It really doesnt seem to bad to learn on it, or get going - but as everyone has said being careful with the throttle is reeeaaallllyyyy hard. Out where i live theres a lot of 30-55 mph zone changes on long straight, freshly repaved (last week) roads. So its a little easy to get carried away. Probably not the best thing to learn on, but i know theres a lot of untapped power im not brave/skilled enough yet to get into so if i decide to keep it i think ill be happy for a while.

Im just trying to get as much time on it as possible before this seasons over, but its hard because out where i live, theres only 1 person i know that has his license and is willing to go with while i have my permit. I know i hear of people going without on the permit, but my luck is terrible (part of the reason its taken me so long to get a bike) and id get screwed the first time.

And im gonna say no its not brians bike…i picked it up from Wellsville on Sunday not from around here. Well that and his name was Eric lol.

i say :tup: for not being a pussy.

you can kill yourself just as easily on the cbr600rr…maybe easier because it probably gets your confidence higher sooner “only being a 600”

im not the best advocate for this, but wear all your shit all the time. its not too hot.

edit: one glove and a screwdriver. youve got all the right tools

I do wear all the gear when i ride. Probably for the wrong reasons, but i do! (backing the bike out of the garage ive burnt my calf 2 times now on the exhaust…and the jacket i wear because i usually ride at night so its needed anyways)

The glove + screwdriver…there were 2 for the ride home and the screwdriver was because the key was broken off in the ignition, so we had to start it with a screwdriver. That has since been fixed and i pulled the key out and got a copy made. When the guy laid it down before i picked it up is when it broke off, i guess his leg caught it and snapped it off. He ordered all new fairings + windshield for me though, and the only damage to the bike besides the plastics is the clutch cover. Overall it rides fine though even at higher speeds.

While im happy with the bike, i do wish it was a bit smaller. I know i have no other experience to base this idea on, but the bike doesnt seem to want to be cornered easily. i mean, i can - but to me id think a smaller/lighter bike would enjoy the corners a little bit more, which is where ill probably be spending a lot of my time anyways. But the straight line power is fantastic.

I also have to say, im getting kind of bored on it, and i mean bikes in general not just this one. I know once i can get to a couple track days ill probably enjoy it more but for right now…theres not much challenge left in it for me. Not on the street anyways, which is why I want to make sure to get some track time in asap.

I started on an R1 and I don’t regret a second of it. It’s just take not so common sense.

Also, 29K isn’t a lot of miles if it’s been taken care of. Sport bikes just have a habit of being ridden hard a put away wet and then sold.

I know this probably isn’t true, but please tell me you got cash on top of this trade.

I did. I got cash and parts for other stuff i own, i got a gun out of it (that i sold to my bro in law for more cash), and hes paying me to do work to the car to make it better because i stripped the car down to pretty much the bare minimum before i got rid of it. Plus, a lot of the parts on the car - i didnt want anymore anyways. The FMIC worked but i am going a2w on my other car, suspension was to low for my driveway, and the rims + tires im getting back. Also - the car i got 70% of the parts from, i bought off this guy a few years ago so he just got it all back anyways. I know i didnt make out or get a good deal, i feel comfortable with it. Again - about the only things i got rid of that i would have used again for my spyder is the ecu and speed density stuff, but he paid me for that so i can just buy it again. That and i had him order new mirrors, windshield, fairings, and few other things and have them shipped to my house which he did.

and Freak - I definitely dont regret it, i was just kind of prepared for ‘its too big’ and ‘should have started smaller’ comments - which i feel a little more comfortable now that i didnt get them. A lot of it was since I refused to even sit on a bike before and had an ‘i know id kill myself on one so i cant get one’. But now that ive put some miles on it, its WAY different once your on it and im glad i got what i did.

Ive been doing a lot of reading the last couple days because of the rain, and these bikes really do seem like good ones and the motors will go for a while. (i say these since i didnt read on all bikes…). I know i have none of the issues other people say they have with em so i’d assume its been taken care of or at least mechanically sound for now but thats what this winter is for, to find out. Starts right up when i want it to, even when cold - and doesnt leak a thing.

Hopefully the weather is good for the NYSpeed meet so i can ride with other people…

Well that’s all that really matters in the end. I know you had your car listed for $5k, but I figured you had received something on top of the trade to make it even. Seeing as it was your first bike though, I couldn’t be absolutely sure. Anyways, definitely a nice purchase and good to see another rider on here.

I did have it for 5, but he got it with almost nothing in it. No gauges, stock radio/no amp or anything, stock alternator (which i had sitting around, and he said died a couple days later…offered to replace but he said hed just get another one and to not worry about it), 2g throttle body, stock 2g exhaust mani, o2 housing, and the 16g back in a 6cm housing that was starting to crack by the wastegate, and a few other things stripped out. About the only thing he got for ‘free’ was the fuel system, which just a pump, and injectors, and afpr - i wasnt gonna rip those off and use them. plus 880’s arent gonna be big enough for e85 on a larger turbo anyways so i didnt care. it was an easy trade for me as he was all for it obv, and if i think about something for to long i wont do it lol. Ive been sitting on a lot of these parts and the car itself, I really needed to get rid of a lot so i could focus on my Spyder.

And just because im thinking about it now, heres what cash i had into the car (because a lot of the parts came from parts cars i’ve purchased, and either scrapped or sold, this number is actually probably A LOT lower)
500$ into 6 bolt motor, trannsmission, clutch, transfer case
400$ into shell (this came with the abs delete done already)
400$ into fmic, afpr, fuel pump and injectors
300$ into ecu and speed density
100$ into turbo

1700$ into entire car he took from me not including my time. I really dont know what the bike is worth and still dont (in good/fixed condition with these miles) but with the full value of the bike, and the cash + other stuff hes bought/buying from me to replace what i took off, i think i did ok. I mean the car was still awesome and completely worth it with the work done, but…thats my financial loss from it.

I also figured id get this in not perfect shape, put some tlc into it over the winter, and sell it in the spring/summer if i dont like it. A bike would sell a lot easier i think than that car would have.

I agree with you for sure there. Especially in spring time, a bike is an easy sell that time of year. Sounds like you have the right idea here.

Yep. I have a feeling im going to try and keep it, but its gonna depend how short/close i am to finishing the spyder by spring.

Couple other questions though…

what do you guys were for shoes? i keep reading all of the riding classes and they require boots. ive been riding in just sneakers…I have boots but i cant see that being comfortable at all. but if you guys recommend it, ill start.

and the bike doesnt come with a helmet lock. just straps for the rear seat i can hook it around if i wanted to. do you guys usually lock the helmets with the bike, trust them with it unlocked, or carry them with you? not that i expect to do a lot of riding + shopping, but still curious.

I always wore Alpinestars SMX+ boots. They were noisy when walking in them, but I found them to be extremely comfortable and of course they offered excellent protection. I rarely wore just sneakers, unless maybe it was just a quick 5 minute trip. I also recommend bringing your helmet wherever you go. I never bothered with trying to lock my helmet on the bike…just don’t trust people.

Be safe… That bike is a tank.