went out for a german-made, rear mounted boxer engine coupe...

…and didn’t get a Porsche.

was going to buy a '67 beetle a couple of weeks ago as a daily driver but the guy decided not to sell at the last minute…like me handing him the money kind of last minute…but it might have been for the best.

driving home today i passed by this karmann ghia just a few miles from home. solid old lady owned car that hasn’t seen a lot of action and just had the motor rebuilt 2 years ago.

offer made…pick it up thursday.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/561817_10104304278777714_964787945_n.jpg

Love <3

Very cool! Now sti swap it :slight_smile:

the subaru engine swaps are becoming more and more popular it seems, but this is going to just be fore putting around town while i work on my beetle this next year. once that is done i’ll do some work on the KG.

personally i don’t think i could ever bring myself to put a water cooled engine in an air cooled VW…there is just something not right about it.

Fillin up that garage!! Nice.

X…

Nice p/u, these are nice looking cars.

That is an awesome looking car. What are your plans for it?

kewl

my grandfather always talks about how much he loved and misses his Karmann Ghia, this looks like a beautiful example.

looks sharp! how much did you pick it up for!

Man, i wish I knew someone was in the market. A friend was just selling his Ghia with a 2110cc dual carb in it. How they should have been built.

probably not too much initially as i’ll have my hands full with my beetle and the point of getting this is to have something to drive while the beetle is on blocks. most likely take the huge ugly bumpers off and switch the wheels initially and whatever small maintenance items it might need.

in the long run, i expect to put disk brakes on it, lower it, paint and redo the interior (vw interiors post 1967 are all horrible). even though the motor was just rebuilt…there isn’t much fun to be had with 60hp. so i’ll probably take out the stock motor and put in something with more power.

---------- Post added at 10:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 AM ----------

$3k which i feel is a pretty good deal for the condition. there aren’t many examples on ebay but it would appear most in similar condition are selling for at least twice that. they are relatively rare cars although this is a later model which is somewhat less desirable but i doubt i’ll have this good of an opportunity any time soon.

$3,000?? That thing looks gorgeous.

Anything wrong with it? Rust/paint/mechanics?

Mechanically sound…no rust in the typical spots…a little bondo on the rear fender which was well done but the paint is just slightly off so you can tell if you look really close.

Just lucked out. Old guy who’s mother in law just passed recently and he wanted it out of the garage.

very very cool. always liked these

Turbos

my wife LOVES the ghia. I keep looking for a vert to restore for her… of course it will have a subi motor :stuck_out_tongue:

I dig it. Not familiar with them though

wow! 3 grand is a STEAL!!! Great pick up! Let me know first if you ever decide to sell it!

Just get her all up to date on the basic maintenance and safety stuff and enjoy the hell out of it this summer!

Judging by the wrap around front indicators and tall rear tails without the wrap around reflectors it is a 72-74 if I recall correct. I had a 66 that I sold back in the day when I thought cars were cool.

1)-if anyone taps the nose-fucking kill them and then burn their corpse

2)-if anyone does any body damage to it-tell them you will unleash the fury of an angry bitter miserable Krant

They’re cave man easy and about as complicated as a rock but watch out for any damage on the seam less body that requires someone who works with lead still to do correctly.

1/4 panels have been NLA since about 1980 something.

Rocky Mountain Motorworks/West Coast Metric/House of Ghia were some of the bigger guys in the air cooled game back in the day-no idea if they’re still in business.

You should get the gasoline heater for it if you feel really lucky one day.