Wesley Sniped sentenced to 3 years for Tax Evasion

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080424/ap_on_en_mo/snipes_tax_trial

3 Years? The stupid prosecutors decided to make a example out of him because its the most publicity they will ever get in their pathetic little lives.
This countries legal system is a circus and a joke.

He also didn’t pay quite a few dollars in taxes, as much as I love Snipes’ acting, he deserved it for trying to screw the system.

ehh vick?

Why are they trying to fuck everyone with money?

Poor Blade:rx3:. I def think they overdid it. 1yr is suppose to be the max. He was 3yrs back in taxes…Slapped his pee-pee 1 for 1 i guess…

who cares. he didnt pay now he loses

Does not matter how much they make, will not make them any more intelligent…

Example, say snipes grew up without ever having been taught to pay his taxes. It will not stick in his head.

Friends that are in debt, more than likely watched bill collectors call their parents house and watched it shrugged off as haha those idiots think they will get their money…
Not making excuses i’m just saying it all starts in the beginning.

agreed… i love snipes in his movies… but FOURTEEN MILLION in back taxes? cant say i disagree with his sentence, sucks cause of how much he’s in the spot light but oh well.

if you make as much as he does and you dont pay your taxes correctly, he shits the same way i do, its just in a more expensive toilet

:tup:

Fuck him. I’d feel bad for some guy who had to choose between paying his taxes and feeding his family. Show that guy liency.

Snipes had to choose between buying the Gulfstream V private jet while paying his taxes, or evading his taxes and buying the gold plated Gulfstream V. I’m glad they made an example out of him.

that is not right though. i saw on the news earler his accountant told him he did not need to pay taxes for what reason i do not know. but i do know that i would take the accountants word for it seeing as it is his job thats what he is paid for. i can understand paying the back taxes along with some hefty penalties but 3 years i dont know about all that

Did he pay taxes?
No.
Is it against the law to not pay taxes?
Yes.
Did he break the law?
Yes.
When breaking the law is there a punishment which may include jail time?
Yes.

He got what he deserved whether or not someone said to do it.

If your boss at work said to go rob the liquor store because it’s part of your job duties are you going to do it because doing what he says is your job? No because you know it is illegal and Snipes should have known too, any person should know it is illegal.

And an FYI what I read a month or so ago, he didn’t pay them because he claimed his acting was a service not a job, and he didn’t need to report any service he does.

he’s gonna have lots of bitches…

pin the blame on your accountant, that will go real far in court.

trial goes as,
Judge: “So Mr. Snipes, your telling me your accountant said you didnt have to pay taxes, for 3 years straight?”
Snipes: “Yes.”
Judge:“So where did all your money go?”
Snipes: “I donated to various charities.”
Judge: “So in other words, you bought booze and hookers?”
Snipes: “Yes.”

^ Exactly. This isn’t a case of “oops, my accountant fucked up, let me take some of my millions out of the bank and pay up”. For years he tried every retarded excuse he could think of because he simply didn’t want to pay taxes. From wikipedia:

Tax problems

[edit] Property taxes
Snipes failed to pay approximately $70,000 in local property taxes, interest and penalties on a home in Alpine, New Jersey, owned by his company, Kymberlyte Production Services International, Inc. In December 2007, the taxing authority of the borough of Alpine, New Jersey sold the tax lien on the home to a third party. Snipes has two years to redeem the property or risk foreclosure.[13] In 2005, Snipes defaulted on California property taxes, owing over $171,000 in property taxes in that state.[14] As of February 2008, a home owned by Snipes in Florida is subject to delinquent property taxes of over $15,000.[15]

[edit] Federal tax convictions
On October 12, 2006, Wesley Snipes, Eddie Ray Kahn, and Douglas P. Rosile were charged with one count of conspiring to defraud the United States under 18 U.S.C. § 371 and one count of knowingly making or aiding and abetting the making of a false and fraudulent claim for payment against the United States, under 18 U.S.C. § 287 and 18 U.S.C. § 2. Snipes was also charged six counts of willfully failing to file Federal income tax returns by their filing dates under 26 U.S.C. § 7203.[16]The conspiracy charge against Snipes included allegations that he filed a false amended return including a false tax refund claim of over US$4 million for the year 1996 and a false amended return including a false tax refund claim of over US$7.3 million for the year 1997. The government alleged that Snipes attempted to obtain fraudulent tax refunds using a legally discredited tax protester theory called the “861 argument” (essentially, an argument that the domestic income of U.S. citizens and residents is not taxable). The indictment said Snipes used accountants who already had a history of filing false returns to obtain refund payments for their clients.[17] The government also charged that Snipes sent three worthless, fictitious “bills of exchange” to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) in the amounts of $1,000,000 (on November 30, 2000), $12,000,000 (January 18, 2001), and $1,000,000 (September 10, 2002), with each accompanied by an IRS tax payment voucher coupon.[18]

Under the alleged deal, the firm American Rights Litigators was to receive, from the clients, an amount equal to 20 percent of the tax refunds obtained for those clients.[19] The government also charged that Snipes failed to file tax returns for the years 1999 through 2004.[20]

In a December 4, 2006 letter from Snipes in response to his indictment, he declared himself “a nonresident alien” of the United States. (In reality Snipes is a US born citizen)[21] Snipes said he was a scapegoat and unfairly targeted by prosecutors in connection with the federal tax fraud investigation.[19] He attempted unsuccessfully to get the trial moved from Ocala, Florida on the ground that racist attitudes in that town would prejudice his chance for a fair trial.[22] Snipes faced the possibility of up to sixteen years in prison and substantial fines if convicted on all the charges.[23] The trial began on Monday, January 14, 2008, in Ocala, Florida,[24] with opening statements beginning on Wednesday, January 16, 2008.[25]

Doodz, when you are fighting vampires, you don’t need to pay taxes. Why this stupid judge didn’t know that is beyond me.

:lol:

i wonder what kind of prison he’d go to? i’d assume minimum security. but will it be the paris hilton kind?

and it said something about a year of supervised something. does that mean his third year he’s on his own but has to check in with a p.o? or is there another year of that on top of this?

and does he have to pay the $2.7million AND go to jail for 3 years?

Taxes are for the living anyways.

I didn’t follow any of this so don’t lynch me, but if all he has to pay is 2.7 million and serve 3 years in jail.

He got off pretty good if thats the case, he can get out to his 11 million$

3 strikes and you are out! sorry i love the blade movie series, but $14 million in back taxes fail at life.

QFT